Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 2.5rs that recently began to overheat with the heater off or going fast. I'm pretty damned sure it's a head gasket. The radiator seems to be lined with oil but noon cream at all just little strands of black. Radiator is full and coolant is green. Also before it started to do this I broke my manifold studs that hold your headers on. Ive been driving it a little while like that I thought maybe loss of compression could Have caused a bhg. Also I run full synthetic oil with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. I read somewhere that this could be cause a little leeakage in my engine and maybe to switch to a heavier weight conventional oil and may help solve my problem? I really have no idea where to start. I'm only a novice mechanic and I'd rather admit That and get someone who really knows what's going on opinion because my car is my baby and Id have to commit suicide if my imcompetence ruined my car. Got about 500 to fix this..

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Sounds mostly like head gaskets to me. In which case there is no quick and easy, "add-this-in" fix for it. The gaskets have to be replaced.

Next time you start up your car (when the coolant isn't boiling hot), pull off the radiator cap while the car is running and check to see if the coolant is bubbling.

Also, does it ever have difficulty starting after it's been sitting for awhile?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
Was the coolant low? Coolant green? Could try the Subaru coolant conditioner...

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
when its super cold out, your car will add extra fuel, it will also billow smoke out of the tail pipe due to the extreme temperature differences. For the white smoke that might be what you are experiencing.

So other places to look for overheating are: clogged radiator, waterpump failure, thermostat failure.

If its an internal headgasket leak the oil and coolant will mix. So your overflow bottle and/or oil will look milky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes lol I am a certified inspection mechanic so I know basics, and I believe you are right. I watched it very closely and actually took it far enough to burn off all the condensation on my exhaust after that it ran fine. Thanks for the advice I guess I just panicked when I saw the smoke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts