Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my 1994 FWD impreza has a dirty habit of snapping roll pins rendering the car useless. I am picking up a 2000 RS transmission to complete a long awaited AWD conversion. Along with the transmission I am also aware that I need a 4.11 RS rear diff.

Can I run this set up without converting to a hydraulic clutch system? Can I at least run it for say a day or so with no issues? (I need to smog my car soon). If I cannot run this set up with the current mechanical clutch, please help me list the parts I would need, bare minimum, to run this transmission. As far as I know I will need a new pedal box? Anything else? Like lines and such.

Thank you.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
You can but you'll need the fork from a manual transmission. The one that's on the RS has no hole in it where the cable is supposed to grab it on top.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Can I use the one from my manual fwd transmission?

Yes. I was thinking you had an auto, lol. What are you going to do with your fwd transmission? Now I'm wondering why you're snapping pins... what engine do you currently have?

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I was thinking you had an auto, lol. What are you going to do with your fwd transmission? Now I'm wondering why you're snapping pins... what engine do you currently have?
Stock 1.8L. I'm wondering the same thing. I went through 3 pins already and all snap within 20ft of driving. Someone suggested I'm installing them wrong but I only see one way to install them. Line up the holes and tap the pin in.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Stock 1.8L. I'm wondering the same thing. I went through 3 pins already and all snap within 20ft of driving. Someone suggested I'm installing them wrong but I only see one way to install them. Line up the holes and tap the pin in.
Weird... and you're using the hollow springy type? I've actually never heard of them breaking although I guess its possible. Unless your axles are too long... or too short and putting too much stress on the pins. ??? Are the axles the correct spline type and sliding on correctly?

BTW thanks for all your help.
No problem :)

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird... and you're using the hollow springy type? I've actually never heard of them breaking although I guess its possible. Unless your axles are too long... or too short and putting too much stress on the pins. ??? Are the axles the correct spline type and sliding on correctly?

No problem :)
They seem to be the right size. They are from a 1993 Legacy. I swapped them in with the Legacy hubs. I ordered 2 new axles but they won't be here till...well today. Do you think that the axles are different? And yes, the roll pin is a little hollow tube.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you think the CV joints in the axles are gone? I was thinking the same thing (that's why I ordered new axles), but I don't know.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
I couldnt say... but it seems like the joint would snap before the pin would...

One of my friends just completely pulled the CV joint in half in his civic, and the pin was still there and good.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there any way to tell that the joint is dead without pulling the boot off? Like it isn't supposed to move in a certain direction?

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Well the problem is the cv joint isn't supposed to move in relation to the shaft in the transmission. They are both splined and mesh tightly so the shaft can't twist inside the inner cv joint. If the cv shafts had too large of an inner diameter (if they were incorrect shafts) then maybe they could twist and snap the pins also. The ONLY purpose of the pins is to keep the cv axles from sliding off the transmission shafts. They aren't supposed to recieve any torque at all. Pretty weird

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the problem is the cv joint isn't supposed to move in relation to the shaft in the transmission. They are both splined and mesh tightly so the shaft can't twist inside the inner cv joint. If the cv shafts had too large of an inner diameter (if they were incorrect shafts) then maybe they could twist and snap the pins also. The ONLY purpose of the pins is to keep the cv axles from sliding off the transmission shafts. They aren't supposed to recieve any torque at all. Pretty weird
That's what I was told. Some people even said that they were driving around with no pins. I'll try the 2 new axles before I venture into this awd thing. Hopefully they'll fix the problem.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts

Hahah thats what i was thinking, they have teeth so that they spin together.

Thats why i thought the pins were getting pulled, like if you grabbed the axle and pulled it like you were trying to pull it off, and the pin snapped.

Thats why i was surprised the CV joint is still in one piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts