Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

“THE HOOPTY” bunch of pictures

9K views 92 replies 10 participants last post by  jdmdominik 
#1 · (Edited)
Well fellas this is my on going project.the car is pretty much done. I will be posting every day until the pictures cough up with the condition of the car. So enjoy it.
it all started when my JDM STI forester snap a Kelford cam in half. But that’s a story for another day.
Interested? Well let me start by introducing myself. I’m originally from Dominican Republic and after migrating the a US territory I was able to join the US army. After couple of deployments to combat zones I got station in Germany and decided I needed some stability and rest. So I decided to get out of the military and stay in Germany working for the army as a DOD employee. So my project car is a base model EU spec 95 Impreza, it came with a 1.6 boxer with a rocking 90hp engine, 5 speed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Compact car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Ford motor company

first picture it shows the only wheels I had available at the time that fit this thing. 18” LOL

The first thing I did was do a 6-speed swap since I had a complete drivetrain from my old STI FOZZY, it’s a non DDCD 6-speed 3.9. Complete with brembos, suspension, hubs and all and a cheap set of IST coil overs.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Ford motor company
Automobile repair shop Vehicle Auto part Car Tire
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Car
Vehicle Car Auto part Subcompact car Automobile repair shop
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crash Tire
Alloy wheel Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Car
Automobile repair shop Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
So since I did the 6-speed swap with all the STI suspensión now the wheels stick out of the body and that’s kind of ilegal here in Germany. I bought a set of ABW fender flares and I did a quick mock up.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Toyota corolla e100
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Asphalt
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Family car

it seems that I will have plenty of room to work with as soon as get rid of this cheap XXr wheels for some good 17’s.

#19 ·
Luckily I have this build closed deck out of a UK spec. I added a de-cat up pipe, STI blue injectors, VF39, gates racing timing belt kit along other goodies left over from the STI Fozzy.

change thecrank sprocket and the cam gears from the 205 along with the manifold and all accessories.
Clean up the turbo front subframe and install the GD steering rack, tie rods and steering rack bushing and set it aside for when the car is ready to do the swap.
Auto part Metal
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Tire
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Engine Auto part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Auto part Vehicle Engine Suspension Car
Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Tire

#21 ·
The car is pretty much done, i'm trying to post in chronological order until i can post the current condition.

After i opened the engine i found out why the previews owner junked the wagon, it seems that the engine blew the head gasket and over heated couple of time, the owner ran just water and then the car sat for a while. The discoloration around the water pump is a mixture of water corrosion and head gasket can fix. the car sat for a while until i was able to pick it up so that water/head gasket fix stuff sat inside the engine and inside the cylinder pitting the cylinder wall. the only way to fix the cylinders will be to sleeve the block, and machine shop is super expensive here.

At the moment i'm running a OMP steering wheel but i need the momo steering wheel for inspection purposes because of the airbag.

Like i said every day i will post up some pictures of the car progress.

#22 ·
Now that the engine is ready to drop, is time to pull the complete wiring harness since I be using the complete GD wiring and Dash.
Started working on the engine bay removing all the unnecessary stuff. A lot of sanding and priming to get the engine bay ready for paint. Messed up when I was punching the new holes for the GD HVAC box and drill right through a brake line ?. It’s hard to find the non-ABS Brake line so I had to make one womp womp womp.
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Machine
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Bumper
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle Car
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Family car
Vehicle Car Auto part Family car City car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car

#23 ·
After a lot work, sanding priming, sanding, cutting and removing the batt tray since I be putting the battery in the trunk along with the windshield washer reservoir. That way I can clear up the engine bay a bit. It seems a bit clutter. I’m planning for the future so I decided to change the color on the car and since I took the old engine out for the swap I decided to paint the engine bay the final of color of the car. After debating what color I should go with I was undecided between 3 colors: WRB “typical Gc8 color”. Aspen white “typical Gc8 color or Brilliant Red. And you guess it Brilliant red it is. Me personally I haven’t seen a build Brilliant Red GC8. I seen pictures but not in person. I seen a ton of WRB, black, white and even the blurple, but not Brilliant Red. So let me know what you think?
what would be you color option?
Vehicle Auto part Trunk Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Auto part City car Engine
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Family car
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Hood
Vehicle Car Race car Automotive exterior Auto part
Red Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle
Red Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper
Red Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

#26 · (Edited)
Engine fits like a glove. I fitted the GR STI TMIC with the addition of the passenger side bracket the secure it in place. Everything seems to be working fine with no CEL. Got a brake in map from the tuner and need to do the brake in quick so I can tune for power. Since I’m in Germany I have to do E-Tune, I will be tuning using a V3 access port and the same tuner I used in the past Drunkman tuning.
Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

#27 ·
Now that the engine and drive train are all in working order is time to focus on the exterior of the car. I have to track down some parta since I will be doing a facelift front. But to start let mount this 2015 carbon STI wing. I like the clean look of it and to me it looks better than the typical GC8 wings.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Sedan
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.