Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first time caller, long time listener.

The 2.5RS was my first real dream car when I was in high school when they first came out. While others were modding Honda civics and integras, the 2.5RS was the car for me. But life took me onto a different direction and different cars. I finally was able to pull the trigger and just bought this ‘99 Impreza 2.5RS with usdm wrx EJ205 swap. It’s always been a California car and is bar legal swapped. Previous owner was a car enthusiast and had put in some good work into it. Current plans are to clean things up and make it an oem+ style build. You guys will probably see me actively asking a lot of noob questions but I’ve been spending hours and hours researching the past week.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Plant Sky

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cosmetics Fluid Rectangle Tints and shades Font
Shipping box Wood Rectangle Packing materials Package delivery

Just got in the first of many parts from flatirontuning . These will be spares as the ones on the car look okay for now. The 5 speed sti shift knob I’ll be putting on though.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Removing the interior so I can clean up years of dirt and misc things. One of the PO had a system in here so I’ll be taking out all that wiring and tidying that back up. Only one speaker works at the moment so I gotta figure that out.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Picked up a brand new apexi WS2 exhaust to replace the current invidia q300 that is in there now. Ideally I would like to get the hks carbon ti but that’ll attract too much attention and the cops are really strict about noise around here.
Also bought some new Apexi GD exv coilovers but probably going to sell them and go with the bc racing br coilovers that I ordered. So if anyone wants some GD apexi coilovers. Lmk. I’ll give you a great deal.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve had some water pooling up in the passenger side rear 1/4 pocket where the vent is and it took me awhile to pin point it but I think it is the tail light as I see water getting through when it is raining. Hopefully it is not somewhere else.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Sleeve Comfort Grey Denim Tints and shades

d
Rectangle Interior design Grey Plumbing fixture Floor

Doing some more cleaning tonight and ran into more hiccups along the way. My worst nightmare. Darn audio installer hacked up the oem harness and merged it with the aftermarket pioneer unit. This headunit used to be the biz though. Flip up dvd mp3 the works. I might just have to hand this off to an audio shop to deal with and have them also install the door speakers and rear shelf speakers. Because who knows what other gremlins are hidden here.

the shift boot I’ll be replacing with an accordian style one. Just need to figure out how to securely mount it since I can’t find an oem shift boot frame. I saw some other thread where someone used a clothes hanger. Kinda ghetto but that’s the best I’ve found so far. Previous Owner just used double sided tape. Lol. Sorry if you ever read this. Lol

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Here’s a pic of the swap.
Just discovered that one of the brackets that hold the apr alternator cover is broken so I took that off and will reach out to apr and hopefully they can offer a replacement or something. I’m surprised the mounting brackets are made out of plastic.
I’m not liking how the throttle cable is zip tied in a few places but not sure if that’s how it is done. Need more research on that part. Also need to properly mount the power steering reservoir as it is just sitting there. So going to order the wrx bracket and remove that intake scoop to mount it there and hopefully that works.
The mishimoto lower radiator hose looks a little swollen also so I’m looking at the iwire GD radiator shroud and GD koyo radiator with samco hoses. The setup in the iwire video looks really nice.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plastic wrap Packing materials Cable Transparency Plastic
Rectangle Wood Audio equipment Composite material Electric blue

Kinda mixed feelings on the accordian shift boot right now. I didn’t expect it to be so floppy and girthy. Tws. But I’ll definitely mount it and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
442 Posts
I think that accordion shift boot is for the 93-97 cars, so it doesn't quite fit the updated console of the 98-01 cars. Looks like you have slim metal fans and possibly 98 RS AC setup. I would keep that, as it gives you the most clearance from the front of the engine, compared to a GD setup with the hose coming from the center of the radiator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that accordion shift boot is for the 93-97 cars, so it doesn't quite fit the updated console of the 98-01 cars. Looks like you have slim metal fans and possibly 98 RS AC setup. I would keep that, as it gives you the most clearance from the front of the engine, compared to a GD setup with the hose coming from the center of the radiator.
Hmm, wondering what I got myself into. I purchased the iwire radiator shroud and recommended koyo rad. I think my car had 2.5rs AC components, but I'm not sure. My car is a 98 L model but it had been converted with RS bumper, bumper support, hood, and wing, and the AC setup looks like it might have come from a 2.5rs too. hoping I can make the koyo setup work, not really worried about AC, but it would be nice to have it. (It never gets above about 70 degrees where I live at the beach) I have the fans from the wrx donor car I had, but maybe they will be too thick? we'll see, I'm getting close to getting the engine in and seeing for myself.

Thanks @b2finity for the engine pic. It looks pretty clean, I hope I can get mine to look like that!

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Asphalt Road surface Font Automotive tire Material property

Found a bunch of random things in the left fuse box cover cubby thing. Goldmine!

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
442 Posts
I think the two plastic pieces in the upper left are the screw covers for the center console upper cubby if you haven't figured that out already.

·
Registered
'99 2.5RS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the two plastic pieces in the upper left are the screw covers for the center console upper cubby if you haven't figured that out already.
Yup they are. I bought another cleaner used cubby so I’ll be using that and selling the one in the car currently. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts