Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a full interior swap on my 1996 Impreza l coupe and I can buy a wrecked rs and take the interior out of that and I want to a dash swap. Will it be plug and play? I know I will have to convert my manual windows to power windows to swap the door panels. What are the hardest parts about that dash swap? Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The steering rack has a different mounting point IIRC, you’ll want the RS dash beam with your swap. Also the HVAC controls are different, Im not sure if the harness plug is the same as 97-01 so that may need to be rewired as well. Also the passenger air bag may have different mounting/wiring. The RS gauge cluster definitely has different wiring and has an electronic vehicle speed sensor compared to the manual cable speedometer in your 1996 car. This would require swapping out the speed sensor on the transmission. The rest of the stuff is mostly the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering rack has a different mounting point IIRC, you’ll want the RS dash beam with your swap. Also the HVAC controls are different, Im not sure if the harness plug is the same as 97-01 so that may need to be rewired as well. Also the passenger air bag may have different mounting/wiring. The RS gauge cluster definitely has different wiring and has an electronic vehicle speed sensor compared to the manual cable speedometer in your 1996 car. This would require swapping out the speed sensor on the transmission. The rest of the stuff is mostly the same.
Do you think it’s possible to use my original gauges so I can keep my odometer the same?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah you can modify the gauge cluster to fit inside the dashboard for sure. By modify I mean the mounting points may be different so you might have to cut part of the cluster to fit it in (they may bolt up but i dont remember 100%). I did a 04 wrx cluster in a 98 dash and had to cut off all the mounting tabs and lay it in there.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
867 Posts
What color is your interior? If it's gray/black I'd be interested in purchasing it....

·
Registered
98 impreza wagon L
5 Posts
You looking at doing alot modifications in order to make it fit . It would be easier if you get a 98 impreza L and do the swap since is pretty much plug and play

·
Registered
93 L Wagon 1.8L
618 Posts
There’s more than you would expect to be splicing to go between these two dashes. I ended up swapping my entire car to obd2 after starting this process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
98 hvac is cable driven so you might be okay with that
All 93-01 imprezas have cable driven HVAC. Elevtronic hvac started in 2002.

There’s more than you would expect to be splicing to go between these two dashes. I ended up swapping my entire car to obd2 after starting this process.
If I’m not mistaken, 1996 is OBD2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what was the hardest part of the conversion besides taking everything out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts