Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

My M62 Supercharger Build & DIY-How To

324K views 1K replies 132 participants last post by  bue car 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess now is as good a time as any to let the cat out of the bag. Behold my "redevil" inspired Supercharger Project!
Click Here to My DIY Supercharger Build

-- Photo Updates with most recent.

Well, this thread originally started life as a "letting the cat out of the bag" thread about my Supercharger build. That explains the bunch of the early posts if you continue to read. But, eventually I succeeded in installing an M62 supercharger onto my 00RS. Now, this thread really represents a log of this build. You can see the entire build on my build site (^ above link) and follow some of the fun in this thread. Plus, feel free to ask any questions you may have about this build in here. I didn't do this supercharger build for just myself, I also tried to provide as much info as I could so others can duplicate it. My goal was to create a low cost reproducable supercharger setup for the EJ Subaru.

Here is an example of one of my bracket design drawings, and the 3 main brackets installed.

All of which are available on my build site.

Videos:
First Startup
YouTube - April 19 2009 - Supercharged Impreza Initial Startup

2nd startup... this time WITH all 4 plug wires attached. :loser:
YouTube - April 19 2009 - Supercharged Impreza 2nd startup (with all 4 plug wires this time)

Just a drive around the block. And a couple of lbs of boost.
YouTube - April 19, 2009 - Supercharged Impreza - First Drive, just around my block

New Pulley 5psi of boost... first drive
YouTube - May 10,2009 - 5psi first drive 01

New Pulley 5psi of Boost 2nd drive
YouTube - May 10,2009 - 5psi first drive 02

First Supercharged AutoX. Here is my fast-run (and last run) of the day.
YouTube - SASCA 05 07 2009 run 07

Same Autox, See if anybody can guess what happened in runs #2 and #4? Is is a vid of #4
YouTube - SASCA 05 07 2009 run 04

Added Sept-4-2011: Dyno Plot!!!!

---
Edited: Changed thread title and 1st post content to more reflect what is really going on here.
Edited: Added AutoX videos.
Edited: Modified OP to reflect current state of the build.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm onboard...

I've been pondering an SC build forever. I love the idea of instant power for autocross and to just go the road less traveled, but I'm worried about throttle response suffering with the SC's added load. I'm excited to hear your input once finished Skidd.

#5 ·
I don't expect throttle response to be a major issue. I'm doing one thing a little different than the norm. Even though it's a fixed displacement SC, I'm going with a blow through design. So, the TB will remain close to the intake tract for good response. And, I'll be adding a CBV (compressor bypass valve) between the SC and the TB. One easy thing about my car being a MAP car is that I can actually vent the CBV to atmo if I want. Also, one of my side goals with this build is to keep is really simple.

P.S. Anybody truely keen on this kida stuff should pick up "Supercharged" by Corky Bell. yeah, the same guy that did "Maximum Boost". Good read.

#10 ·
funny i see your thread right now, i just bought a M62 off craigslist today for $200 with the pully and brackets.

and im thinking of running a PP6, modded injectors, walbro 255, RRFPR, and a modded WRX top mount for the intercooler and stock WRX bypass valve, with the stock MAF before the SC.

#11 ·
that's a SOHC motor isn't it?

pics of your mounting bracketry please!! how's the hood clearance there?

there's a possibility that I have one of those blowers sitting on the floor next to me right now :run:, I was planning on a mounting bracket something more like what reddevil is running....but I like your idea!

#13 ·
Yep, it's an SOHC. I don't think my bracket design will work on a DOHC. When I have the brackets sorted out, not only will I be providing pics, but also diagrams and measurements. :D

As for hood clearance.. it's close, but there is room. I have GroupN engine mounts to reduce any engine movement too. Also, I'll be cutting off the top mounting hole from the SC. It will not be needed with my bracket design. All said, there looks to be plenty of clearance.

Hey Jefff.. that is the EXACT face I made!!

#14 ·
sweet, yea, mounting points would have to be pretty different on a DOHC car....I'll be using a SOHC setup as well, so any and all information you can provide will be awesome.

if I mounted the blower on it's side like that, I'd have to rethink my high-pressure plenum coming right off the blower, otherwise it would certainly interfere with the hood...

hmmm.....the gears are turning.....even more than they were already. crap, this is going to get expensive :noes:

#20 · (Edited)
HMM,
My turbo kit's initial set-up was about $1000 (2004 dollars...), but all labor was done by myself with the help of my buddy.

It included a
TD05 Mitsbishi flanged turbo
WRX TMIC / BPV
Custom up & down pipes
WRX Exhaust
Walbro fuel pump
FMU
Tial 38mm EWG - the most expensive single component!

You should be able to reach you goal.

#23 · (Edited)
Believe you me.. I'm much more keen on going proper EM... that's a given.

But, I'd like to ask everyone to please refrain from turning this thread into a RRFPR vs EM vs boost reliability vs compression vs EJ251 vs EJ257 thread. There are already countless threads on those topics in this forum and the "other". I've read every one of them, and am very familiar with both the options and the risks involved. I'm still a long way from making a final decision on that aspect of this build anyway. Hopefully far enough away for AEM to stop screwing around and fix the FIC bugs. :curse::bonk:

Cheers.

#28 ·
Correct.. the clutch is eliminated. Since I'll be using a CBV I don't need/want the clutch anyway. Plus, the pulley design will allow the spine plate to be removed with 4 (2 currently) set screws. This way the pulley can be made to freewheel on the snout, thus disabling the SC. This will be handy for say.. tuning days, or wanting to drop to 87 for a month.. or what ever reason I might want to stop boosting. :wtf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.