Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Long awaited 1st RS

7K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  seanrob 
#1 · (Edited)
I've wanted an RS for the last 2 years or so. Finally found one off of Craig's list listed for $2600 July 24, 2008. The previous owner hit a pole, and the owner that sold it to me replaced the hood, headlights and bumper beam(which turned out to be for a L model). He was loosing his garage, so I took it off his hands for $2200! I drove to Philly from Lancaster twice, and it was well worth it.

Engine:
Borlas
straight pipe
sti group n tranny/engine mounts
exedy lightweight flywheel
exedy stage 1 clutch

Suspension:
02' 20mm rear sway bar

Brakes:
90-94 turbo legacy vented rear brakes
03' wrx front brakes

Exterior:
V5/6 Grill
Clear Side lights
Clear turn signals
Clear side markers
JDM tails

Interior:
re-threaded red shift boot
black headliner

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Only have a few quick pics my friend took for right now.. need to get a damn digital camera!

After RS bumper beam and front bumper were installed.. I have the grill but it wont match up with the holes in the front bar since some frame work is a little distorted
Also put on clear side lights

edit: so after some introduction to the subie world from me, my friend went ahead and got a 97' obs.. needs some work since some kid had it and went white spray happy inside and out.. but i like it!

#11 ·
I'm in mount joy, what about you??

and yeah i know renegade, the black bumper and hood along with not being able to put the grille on yet is killing me! I have all the paint, it's just my friend who has a place to paint just got married and I have to wait for him to have time.. Hopefully within the next couple weeks he will be able to and I'll take care of the distorted piece while the bumper is off. I was going to use slide hammers, but I may just take it to a body shop since it shouldn't be too expensive.
The only mods I've done are borla headers, and clear corners. Other than that just taking care of maintenance and getting her back in good shape, it's taking a little longer than I wanted, but I still love the car just as much!:naughty:

#9 ·
Yeah I waited almost 2 years for my first subaru as well. Ended up buying a 2009 Forester XT first then I bought my 1999 2.5RS. I bought mine in PA as well. I'm originally from Pittsburgh now reside in CO. Looks like a good work in progress hopefully all the damage gets taken care of before all the modding happens.

#14 · (Edited)
cool, you ever come down towards the city? i meet up with ppl at sonic on lincoln highway sometimes. i was just up in ephrata on sunday.. was drivin' on some back gravel roads right near 322 and 501. you should pm me your number, i'm down with gettin a meet together sometime!

heres another somewhat less crappy picture on my new cell phone of the back road!

#15 ·
well, got a grille and painted it from a junk yard for now that had broken tabs on the back so it fits. put a 20mm wrx rsb with kartboy endlinks on, it's a blast, especially in some snow gravel and mud!
just washed it for the 2nd time after ripping in some mud with my friends GF, i only had to pull him out once when he slid into a ditch!

I have had to add enough water to fill the over flow tank since i bought it, most likely have a very small headgasket leak for now. gettin that and a new clutch sometime when i'm on break, or spring if it still isn't loosing a whole lot of coolant.

#17 ·
Almost spring time update

Well I guess I'll update, I've done a good amount, except no paint yet b/c of the winter... I was debating on painting the whole car b/c it could use it, but as soon as the guy I have to paint it is ready, it should be done in the next month.

For the interior I re-threaded my stock shift boot to match my steering wheel and got a stock shift knob... http://http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100868

Got borla's for that rumble, along w/ a straight 2.5" straight pipe I traded my stock cat back for (header wrap came off from a mudding trip, will be put back on when i have my engine out)

Got rid of some of that body roll with a WRX 20mm RSB and kartboy endlinks

After my rear brake pads went bad on a trip to vermont, i had to get new rear rotors and picked up a legacy turbo rear brake set-up for $150, my fronts were pretty bad as well, so today i replaced the fronts with 03' WRX brakes from a wrecked car w/ 790 miles! :D

My old rotor was literally falling apart from corrosion, and the brake pad was wearing pretty uneven:wtf:

Drumbee came over during my front brake install..

This is a video before I put my straight pipe on and it doesn't sound the best since I had open cats, but i just wanted to hear my borla's alittle bit!

So far I've loved working on my car and have enjoyed the mods i've done... this enjoyment is what i've been warned about... i got that fever, that modding fever! I love the lego aspect of subaru's, and finding parts from other models that fit. My goal for now is to build it to handle some autocross and fun daily driving. I have been debating swapping/building a 2.5 turbo RS, but I think that will come later down the road. I have a exedy stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel, STI group N tranny and motor mounts that will be going in soon, along w/ new headgaskets, rear oil seals and maybe timing belt and h2o pump.

#18 ·
haha that video is funny....regans like hey look its my car....whats funny is the pic you took of my car im not even looking....i hav yet to post a pic of me....so there is one...but well its the backside of my head:D so wehn u do the hg where u gonna do it...over at hoaks place....cause im def down for helping...its so much fun....

#25 ·
Yup i sold to someone on this board. i was only able to run 13.7 , it was my first season at the track EVER so my drivin was not "GOOD" i think with better drivin and Clutch low 13.2 was capable. Good luck with you build ill see u around this summer at sonic

#27 ·
okaayy so engines out, cleaned a lot of it up and waiting on parts and heads which should be both here and done tomorrow! also have plans other than some engine upgrades which should start tomorrow as well :sunny:

i'd say i was leaking alil bit..

i think it's a stock head gasket??

before

after..

I'm happy to see that I still have a good amount of cross hatch marks on my walls, and kinda wish i was throwin' some STi internals.. but not yet

One thing i'm pissed about is my car wasn't able to be kept inside for the last week.. and wouldn't you know it on sunday we got a freak hailstorm (which i've barely ever seen in central pa) that put plenty of nice sized dents on my new hood and roof! :bonk:

hopefully that wont matter in about a week or 2 anyway..

#28 ·
yeh that def looks alot better then when we pulled the heads off a week ago....

and join the hail storm club...luckily my car was in the garage but so was i ate the time...im out there with my nieghbor (we were relocating my wireing harness) and all of a subben Bobby says he look a tornado warning...im like yeh kool....then hes like im goin home...about a min or so later golf ball sized hail starts smacking into everything...im like oh shit here comes the tornado....but it missed us by a few miles or so....so that minivan too extensive damage to the side and my moms brand new car has about 10-12 dings in it...yeh hail sucks....

but anyways it looks good...you shoulda sent your cams to delta:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.