Tim's Subaru Corale - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Tim's Subaru Corale

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Fav Mod: Less = More
Trader Rating: (20)
Default Tim's Subaru Corale

This is the journal for my 1994 Subaru Impreza L. The mantra is, "Make it light. Make it grip slide. Keep it simple stupid."

Mod list

Exterior
- Chargespeed GC6 lip
- JDM front and rear bumper beams
- JDM rear bumper
- A'PEXi rear lip
- Bakemono WRC mirrors
- Gutted and vented hood
- ABW ducktail spoiler
- JDM roof vent

Interior
- Removed sound deadening material
- Stolen/removed stereo and speakers
- Sparco steering wheel
- Sparco Evo driver's seat mounted to Buddy Club rails
- RS Grey interior conversion
- Flocked dashboard

POWER!!! [/Clarkson]
- Ver. 1 EJ20G

Drivetrain
PPG center diff spool
Nissan R200 rear diff with Tomei 2-way LSD
Z33 axles
TSSFab rear subframe

Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes
- Group N pitch stop, engine, transmission and exhaust mounts
- Feal 441 coilover
- FWD steering rack, Whiteline bushings, Super Now tie rod ends
- JDM aluminum control arms
- FHI 19 FSB and 20 RSB
- Whiteline bushings all around
- M4iF fender and tri-point strut tower braces
- JDM STi rear knuckles with turned down Nissan hubs
- WRX 4/2 pot brakes
- Brembo rotors
- Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines
- Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
- ARP wheel studs

Wheels and Tires
- Factory 5 spokes
- Factory STi BBS'
Attached Thumbnails
Tim's Subaru Corale-snow-rings.jpg  

Last edited by Tim.Flat4; 11-13-2016 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Parts Update
Tim.Flat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

How it all began...

My Subaru ownership history started back in 2005 when I purchased a '00 2.5RS.

This is the first car I really got in to autox with. I was an active member in the Western Texas SCCA region for two seasons and enjoyed the hell out of it. I improved exponentially and made some good friends along the way. I later sold it to a good friend of mine after deciding to enlist in the military. Fast forward to '07 and hop over the pond to Germany, where I bought my second Subaru, a Euro-spec '96 GL wagon A.K.A. The Radio Flyer.

TRF was my daily driver right up until I imported a US-spec '05 STi.

Owning an STi and living less than two hours away from the Nurburgring had its perks

I ended up selling both a year or so later with impending orders to return state-side, then I started looking online for another Subaru that would be my DD...

Enter Hermes

I found a white '94 AWD L with a manual transmission (lightest AWD Impreza ever made with a curb weight of ~2,500lbs.) on Autotrader at a used car dealership local to my parents.

I had a friend (a rotary loving, AE86 driving mechanic to put it nicely) look the car over and although he's rough around the edges he checked out. Yes, my Impreza is a he. Let me explain...

I love older cars. Not a particular manufacturer or niche, just as long as they're old. I also form emotional and tangible bonds with cars, as silly as that sounds. I like to think that cars have souls and emotions although I know they don't. I can't get in touch with said inanimate qualities until the car has proven itself, hence the reason my old GL had a nick name and neither my RS nor STi did.

Sure, they were great cars and never let me down, but they never did anything amazing or lead me on an adventure. The Radio Flyer took me to my first WRC event and I slept in the back of that wagon for three nights while I soaked up the Impreza's roots. The STi took me around the Nurburgring dozens of times and over 150 mph on an unrestricted section of an Autobahn but, in all honesty, it felt pretty standard. Hermes proved his worth over a two-and-a-half day death march from Northern Nevada to Missouri, a 1,800 mile excursion made ten times more horrible by one of Subaru's nifty weight-saving ideas; no air conditioning. That's right, I spent over 24 hours piloting a beat-up Impreza through the deserts of Nevada, Utah, and Colorado straight through the humid region of hell, balls deep in sweat, literally. To make things even more interesting my mechanic friend didn't approve of the road trip due to reliability concerns after discovering low compression in the stock EJ18 that had already covered 222,000 miles. We proved him wrong and I couldn't have been more proud

So, marking the event of this car proving its worth as well as my longest solo road trip he received the name Hermes, the protector of travelers.

Here are a few random pictures from the trip:

Day 1: 0600, ready to depart my parent's house in Carson City Nevada.

Nevada's seemingly endless desert

Somewhere in Utah, post nap and first major stop.

Then I didn't care to stop in Colorado or Kansas because it was so damn hot. No matter, we made it with zero problems.

Last edited by Tim.Flat4; 07-14-2015 at 06:40 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Interior

Only a few of you really know me, so I’m going to fill the rest of you in on something. I’m incredibly indecisive when it comes to cars. I have a medulla badidea but acting upon it takes great strength on my part. I recently sold my project Spec E30 which leaves me with Hermes as my one and only car. Watching the E30 fade off in to the distance on the back of some guy’s trailer brought this crystallizing moment where I decided I’m going to act on behalf of my non-conventional judgment and try out some of these ideas I had when I first bought Hermes.

First up, the Colin Chapman treatment, or at least phase one of it.

Colin Chapman was the founder of Lotus, one of, if not the coolest car manufacturers to date. His philosophy was simple and perfectly summed up in this timeless quote of his, “Simplify and add lightness.” Sure he also said “Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy". But his team also went on to win the Indianapolis 500, seven Formula One constructors’ titles, and six drivers’ championships all in a matter of 16 years. If that’s not impressive, what I’m attempting here won’t woo you one bit.

As I mentioned in the intro to my member’s journal, Hermes weighed 2,500 lbs from the factory, which is the lightest AWD Impreza to date. He has power nothing, no fancy traction control, no 27 speaker sound system, he’s a true featherweight. (He’s not a bantamweight because the early FWD models were lighter, and technically Imprezas, but we all know better…) So, we’re already off to a good start in the weight department. As you can see, I’ve already installed an early JDM version bumper skin, and as most of you know, the USDM bumper beam cannot be used with this skin. The USDM bumper beam is really heavy and with good reason. I did away with it knowing well and good the risk I was taking. I wish I would have weighed it before junking it, but there are numbers floating around the forums of the USDM bumper beam weighing around 40 lbs, whereas its’ JDM counterpart weighs a scant 7 lbs.

Since this is my daily driver and will continue to be a street car I have to make it tolerable to drive. However, I needed to drop a significant amount of weight. A combination of a weight loss, a gross interior, and common forum hear-say led me to a no-cost weight reduction exercise; stripping the interior. I drove a stripped BMW E30 for a while and it really wasn’t that bad, especially when I had music to drown out the increase in road noise, so I knew what I was getting myself in to. Since I started in the afternoon and I wasn’t literally ripping the interior out I only go about of the interior removed. Basically, from the front seats to the rear bumper is now stripped. For comparison’s sake I took decibel readings before and after at both idle and 60 mph on a rough road. The results may surprise you...

I used an iPhone application called Decibel for a sound measuring tool. The iPhone's mic maxes out at 105 dB but I'm concerned with the average, which is the center number that appears lighter than the others.

Full interior at idle: 61 dB

Full interior at 60 mph: 85 dB

3/4 stripped interior at idle: 61 dB

3/4 stripped interior at 60 mph: 87 dB

For visual reference, the interior looks like this...

After testing I went to weigh my car again with a half tank of gas (about 42 lbs.) and Hermes now weighs 2,530 lbs wet.

The sound deadening was removed, and a grey interior conversion began.

Last edited by Tim.Flat4; 07-14-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Last edited by Tim.Flat4; 05-11-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
2.5RSMatt
Zantrex-3 YES!

Trader Rating: (67)

Herpes?

Can't wait.
2.5RSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
GC8.Love
2.2L Turbo

Car: '01 STM RS, GC6
Trader Rating: (38)

Ew, Matt. Start taking your Valtrex in advance.

I think I know what this is about, though.

You finally get to have fun with it, Tim?

Last edited by GC8.Love; 07-16-2008 at 09:46 AM..
GC8.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Geran
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (85)

Is this for the E30 or the Subaru?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5RSMatt View Post
Herpes?

Can't wait.
You would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8.Love View Post
You finally get to have fun with it, Tim?
Yep, and it's been quite an adventure so far. (no pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carisma View Post
Is this for the E30 or the Subaru?
The Subaru, drr! The E30 is floating across the Atlantic, I hope...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
2.5rsleeper
4 please, to go.

Fav Mod: Things that go woosh.
Trader Rating: (6)

looking forward to pics. Subaru's with character kick ass!