Rise of the Aquafrost! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Rise of the Aquafrost!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
supascoob
3.3L

Fav Mod: Speedline Corse Type 2108
Trader Rating: (2)
Default Rise of the Aquafrost!

Well, this is my first post in my journal, but I've had my Impreza for about a year now. Classes are finally over and in the leisure that summer provides (excluding one summer class ) I decided to start my Members' Journal.

I bought the 1993 Subaru Impreza L with 5 speed manual and AWD in Aquafrost in the late July, early August 2010(poop Blackberry Pic):

Currently sits like this(HTC EVO 4G pic):

Current Modifications
Exterior:
Urethane Rally Armor Mudflaps (Black with red logo)
JDM V4 STi front bumper w/ L bumper beam
Thule Roof Rack
Interior:
04 Rear STi seats
Bakemono STi blue shift boot
02-03 WRX shift knob
Two 12inch Kenwood subwoofers with 350 watt amp
Suspension:
Eibach Pro-kit Lowering Springs
KYB GR-2 struts
eBay Rear Strut Tower Bar
Wheels:
Speedline Corse (Type 2108) in Gold (16x7)
Yokohama Advan S4 (205/55/16)
Engine:
EJ22 (Phase 1) from JDM Legacy (non-turbo)
Tsudo UEL Headers w/ Tsudo cat delete/trackpipe
Stock RS catback

Just to bring everyone up to speed, here is my list of proposed mods that I want to do for the
fall semester of 2011. If you'd like, please review and feel free to comment on anything you
agree or disagree with or add to the list! Thanks!
My Timeline
Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Aquafrost!-my-subie.jpg  

Last edited by supascoob; 03-03-2012 at 01:39 PM..
supascoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
supascoob
3.3L

Chapter 1
During the July of 2010 I picked up this 1993 Subaru Impreza L 5 speed with AWD and 200,000 miles on the clock . I was told it had blown shocks, but other than that was in good condition. It was, other than the holes in the doors from the missing door molding. Air conditioning worked, power windows all worked, it was dirty, but alas I had a genuine Subaru with AWD! It was just like this, only this picture was a few weeks later.

The first thing I did was look online for some WRX wheels and luckily found a set with tires locally for ~$100:

After running the tires from the WRX rims down to the wires and popping a little hole in one, I decided to put them in the garage and go back to the steelies I had bought the car with.
I was pretty much back to how I bought the car and bumming out a little. My buddy sold me his STi rear seats for a great price and that felt like a major upgrade to the stock L rear seats.

Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Aquafrost!-93wrxl.jpg  

Last edited by supascoob; 03-03-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
supascoob
3.3L

A few weeks went by and I was just saving money waiting to do something to the Subaru... I was up a good $1500 when I was driving through an apartment complex while working and heard a light clunk after going over a speed bump, then I saw my crank pulley shoot out from under my car and lodge under a 350z… a cop saw the whole thing and just laughed from a distance . My car died moments later… …
After collecting random parts in the parking lot and getting a lift home from a tow truck, I took inventory of what I had – a few belts, a crank pulley and a crank pulley retainer bolt. No good. The closer I inspected I realized that my crank pulley retainer bolt developed a wobble and eventually sheared off inside my motor! This was all a cause from when I had a problem with my alternator falling down when I was driving because it wasn’t properly bolted to another piece of the motor, to fix it I picked up a bolt from a hardware store and fastened it to the alternator, little did I know, I tightened the alternator with too much tension on the crank pulley retainer bolt and over time it developed that wobble I was talking about, in turn pretty much wrecking my motor. Worst mistake I ever made! Here is the shortened crank pulley retainer bolt:

Last edited by supascoob; 06-16-2011 at 12:06 AM..
Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
2.5RSMatt
Zantrex-3 YES!

Trader Rating: (67)

That Impreza is begging for a Ver. 2 front end with all the hood trimmings. Especially in that color.
2.5RSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
supascoob
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5RSMatt View Post
That Impreza is begging for a Ver. 2 front end with all the hood trimmings. Especially in that color.

OHHHHH I know.... But shipping those Aluminum hoods is dangerous. It won't be long though, I'm starting to lean towards ver.2/3 versus ver.5/6 a lot more lately. Cashflow is slow.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
2.5RSMatt
Zantrex-3 YES!

Trader Rating: (67)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supascoob View Post
OHHHHH I know.... But shipping those Aluminum hoods is dangerous. It won't be long though, I'm starting to lean towards ver.2/3 versus ver.5/6 a lot more lately. Cashflow is slow.
Word. Could always cut holes in the L hood but that could be tricky. Either way the direction you're going looks great, wheels fit the period nicely too.
2.5RSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
supascoob
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5RSMatt View Post
Word. Could always cut holes in the L hood but that could be tricky. Either way the direction you're going looks great, wheels fit the period nicely too.
Thought about it, but unless I buy used scoop/vents it's gonna cost nearly the same to do that instead of buying the hood. And I'm not much of a bodywork guy.
Definitely considering the v.2 hood/bumper more...

Thanks, never thought about the wheels complimenting the period until now! I don't think my list of plans will ever be completed....
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
supascoob
3.3L

I shortly got the Subaru back after Christmas with a fresh JDM EJ22 and when test driving it with the new motor, quickly realized an extreme need for fresh suspension. A few weeks later I ordered my Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs and KYB GR-2 Struts.

During the install of the suspension, I compared the springs I had been riding on with the Eibach ones, and they seemed considerably taller, I always thought my Impreza looked taller than the others, but this convinced me, I think I had Forester springs installed on it the whole time, which is why my rear end was like an inch above where stock Impreza’s sit.
After the install, my car sat like this:

The GR-2/Eibach combo ended up fitting the car perfectly the way it is right now and I have ZERO complaints, it handles like a beast now and this by far has been one of my most worthy upgrades.

This completed my modifications for the time being and I waited a few long weeks to buy something new…

Last edited by supascoob; 06-16-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
supascoob
3.3L

I was able to wait until about April 2011 before I splurged again. After seeing the car with its new low and aggressive look, I had a burning desire to get some nice wheels to compliment it. I was torn between just putting my choice of nice rubber on the WRX wheels I still had in my garage for +$300 dollars or buying a snazzy set of wheels with tires on them for a couple hundred more.
- I chose the latter and ended up finding a good set of Speedline Corse Type 2108 with nearly new Yokohama Avid V4s for the perfect price. Had to get them on as soon as possible.

The Speedlines were a great addition to the car, and I felt they fit great on the car too. With my birthday coming up, I knew I would have some extra goodies coming my way so I braced for it as best I could!

The girlfriend bought me a Bakemono STi Blue shift boot which I promptly installed:

And the ‘rents bought me a set of RA mudflaps in black with a red logo which I also promptly installed when delivered!

And as a gift for myself I went and bought a wiring kit and figured out how to hook up my subwoofers that I had from my previous car into the Subaru.

Nice pic near Soka.

Last edited by supascoob; 11-10-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
supascoob
3.3L

After going off roading the other day I noticed a creaking sound coming from my rear passenger side strut area and after a few days of ignoring that, I lost brake pressure and found out I was spurred a leak of brake fluid from that same area (rear passenger drum).

*Fixed as of June 6, 2011

Last edited by supascoob; 03-03-2012 at 01:42 PM..