Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

One "L" of a time.

6K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  smitch 
#1 · (Edited)
I have many subies but I have never owned any of the gc/gf cars. I happened upon this deal from a fellow subie friend. His wife was driving this L wagon as a daily driver. She got hit a few weeks ago and decided it was time for a new car.
As you can see the passenger side is pretty borked. It needs 2 new doors, a new fender and a new WRX wheel.

The car has a couple mods. WRX wheels painted black, and rs springs, slotted front rotors, aftermarket cruise control, dark tint, and fuzzy dice:). It is a 2.2l,5spd with a tan(ugly) interior, its got 147k on the odo.

I am definately seeing some potential with this little wagon and am excited about working on it.

Full current mod list as of 11/11/09:
Exterior:
RS BUMPER/FOGS
FRONT CLEAR TURN SIGNALS
RS GRILL WITH RED EMBLEM
RS CRYSTAL HEADLIGHTS
RS HOOD
04' WRX sideskirts
WRX WHEELS PAINTED CUSTOM RED METALLIC
ROOF RACK REMOVED AND SMOOTH ROOF
STI STYLE UPPER WING

BRAKES:
RS FRONT BRAKES

SUSPENSION:
TRIBECA 25MM FSB
WRX RSB
RS STRUTS AND SPRINGS

DRIVELINE:
B&M SHIFTER
KARTBOY SHIFTER BUSHINGS
KARTBOY SHIFTER STAY
SUBARU OEM UPGRADED SHIFTER JOINT BUSHINGS

ENGINE/POWER:
3" CATBACK
CUSTOM 2ND CAT DELETE PIPE

MISC:
Custom front skid bar and plate

INTERIOR:
ALL TRIM PAINTED FLAT BLACK
GREY HEADLINER
03' WRX FRONT SEATS

A couple pics of when I got it(my 05 sti, an 90' legacy in some of the background)

HOW IT LOOKS NOW:

See less See more
#5 ·
Not really. I already have the doors and the fender avaliable so... Just need to switch out interior bits and get the newish parts painted(which I may do myself, I have not decided yet).

The only way I'll get rid of the light is if I get better ones.:)

Nice Deal shouldn't be to much work to replace the doors and fender luckly looks like there is absolutely no structural damage in pictures. Can't wait to see what you do with it :D
Yup, the doors still open and close pretty good. All cosmetic. I am looking forward to working on it. Should be a fun project.

#6 ·
I feal your pain on the doors. I just had a girl hit my car last winter and took out both my drivers side doors. Pretty similar to your damage but no damage to anything else besides the doors. I have the replacement doors, just waiting for some warm weather to paint them. Good luck with the project! Dan

#11 ·
^^^maybe he did? And the subaru won!

LOL!

I just aquired 2 new/used wrx rims painted bronze. I only needed one but what the hell.

I think I am gonna paint them all orange for a while. I have a whole case of "marking" paint that I aquired at a garage sale for $1 and I am itching to use it.

#14 ·
Update:

I got the rs hood. AWESOME! Also got some crystal headlights, a short shifter, a nice rs grill with red stars emblem, and the fender that just needs paint prepped. I am thinking of painting the whole car now.

The rs hood is the srp color and it looks super nice..... I like white though too.

I'll get some pics of the new parts soon.

#17 · (Edited)
I started cleaning up the RS front brakes. Got them sand blasted and ready for paint.

Pics to come.

The more I look at this car I think I am gonna definately paint the whole thing. I am gonna shave the roof rails and stuff too. I might shave the side mouldings, not sure yet. I do like them for protection so they may be just painted body color.

#18 · (Edited)
Ok, I got the wagon thrown together for the team sloth rally x extrordinare.

It looks fugly with a blue door but it works. I threw some steelies on it with some winter treads that I had. I also had this old fart can laying around that I grapped off a wrecked mitsu back when I was towing so I welded it on and mounted it kinda half ass but it works... The rest of the exhaust is stock.

I also got the RS 2pot fronts ceramic coated and installed. I don't have any pics but just imagine RS front brakes, painted black. LOL! I got the headlights installed as well.

Anyway here's a couple pics and a short vid of the exhaust. I will get some action shots of it tomorrow for sure too.

Also note that the fuzzy dice have been relocated to a more suitable postion.

Enjoy!

LOL! That exhaust makes me laugh.

#21 · (Edited)
So I have been pretty busy with doing a ton of metal fab work trying to make a buddies RS widebody work right.

I am pretty much done with it now so back on the L.

I removed the roof rails and need to get the deletes. Also got some more body work done and I finally got all the wheels done. They are definately different but...They are "ok". They look good for an old L. I also got the fender body filled(couple of ripples) and got it primered. Then on to some surface rust repair and getting the holes in the roof welded shut and getting it primered.

I am currently replacing the shifter joint, adding a kartboy shifter stay, shifter bushings, and a b&m short shifter.

I am also gonna try to get the rear brakes converted to disk in the next week too.

I got 1 coat of primer on the hood as well.

Going monday to pick up a used rs bumper cover and fogs. Got new tail lights coming too and a free rs bumper beam. Thanks (smitch :) )

[/QUOTE]

Here is a couple pics from today. I took it out for a spin just to drive it. I can't believe how simple and shitty this car is but yet still super fun to drive. I am baffled by it.

I have a local rally x track opening up on the 26th and I would like to take the L out there and throw it around a bit so I'd better hurry.

#22 ·
Woohoo for more free parts and some that are not so free.

Free:

tribeca front bar, rs bumper beam, new side markers, blown out header off an rs that I might be able to fix and modify for 2.2L single port heads.

$ parts :( :

new rotrs and pads all the way around, all new e brake parts and shoes $135(my napa hook up)

rs bumper cover and fogs $100 (gotta get it from slava on monday yay!)

#26 · (Edited)
Just got the b&m shifter installed with new kartboy shifter stay and shifter bushings as well as a new shifter joint and bushings. I just gots to button the interior back up.

BIGGGGGGG difference. It feels as good or better that my sti shifter now. I am toatlly stoked. I also found out that my clutch fork was hiting a hose under the hood and causing strange engagment issues. I hope that fixed it.

Got my rs front bumper and fogs from Slava today as well. Thanks again!

Started puting the new front brakes on the right side too. Gonna try to have everything done that I would like to before the saturday trip to local RPM rally x track.

Before saturday the 26th List:
Finish front brakes.
Install tribeca front bar :)
finish fabbing up 2nd cat delete pipe for exhaust
finish primer on hood and scoops
prime and install rs front bumper/beam.

Not really a huge list but I only have about 2 hours at the most every day so my time is tight.

Future list:
Get rear converted to disk brakes
Start and finish making the interior look better.
weld roof holes and get roof primered
fix rust on front left fender.
fix rust on left rear wheel well
scuff and prime whole car
paint whole car
turbo swap(maybe)

#28 ·
I got to drive ther car today and it feels great.

Brakes are wayyyy better with new front pads and rotors. The new tribeca bar feels amazing on turn in so far. I have not gotten to push it at all but...

I am curious to how it will feel in the dirt. The new shifter stuffs also makes the car a lot more responsive . I can shift correctly and quickley now too.

I don't have any pics yet I am hoping to get some tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.