98 GF4 : Retrofit throwout bearing? - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
98 GF4 : Retrofit throwout bearing?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
25rsgirlxxx
2.2L

Car: 06 obp wrx, 87 bmw 325
Trader Rating: (0)
Default 98 GF4 : Retrofit throwout bearing?

I have a 98 impreza obs, 2.2, 5 speed, 210k (mint even with the mileage) which from my understanding has a retrofit bearing I'm assuming is due to it having a repair sleeve for the snout. My previous Subaru (same body, just a year newer) did not have the sticker shown in the image. So..

My main questions are :
1. Can the bca # be trusted and is there anything else that I would need to do the throw out bearing (I am ordering a flywheel, clutch, etc)?

2. I'm unfamiliar with the different repair sleeves (to be honest.. Since I was unaware of the repair sleeve on the snout on the 99 mentioned above.. When I did the clutch I left the correct bearing on it which was fairly new) - are there different styles and if so - how does one tell prior to dropping the trans?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
25rsgirlxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
tonythebrony
2.2L

Fav Mod: not into ponies.
Trader Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25rsgirlxxx View Post
My main questions are :
1. Can the bca # be trusted and is there anything else that I would need to do the throw out bearing (I am ordering a flywheel, clutch, etc)?

2. I'm unfamiliar with the different repair sleeves (to be honest.. Since I was unaware of the repair sleeve on the snout on the 99 mentioned above.. When I did the clutch I left the correct bearing on it which was fairly new) - are there different styles and if so - how does one tell prior to dropping the trans?
Not sure if you can tell without dropping the trans. PDM makes the tranquil sleeve kits PDMUSA | Transmission Sleeve Kits, maybe try reaching out to them. FAQs show that replacements are available. i purchased my kit from six star bernie.

The only differences would be the inside diameter that matches the sleeve. (i'd imagine this doesnt differ too much) and the clips that attach to the fork - this one varies between models.

When i did mine i ordered the sleeve repair kit, and a excedy clutch kit that had the oem bearing. that way if it didnt fit i would pull everything and go without the sleeve. worked out for me, and now i have a oem bearing sitting around. hope this helps. Best of luck
tonythebrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
kay95
Premium Member

Car: 95 L, 96 OUTBACK
Fav Mod: p1 SUSPENSION
Trader Rating: (2)

More Information for LUK 15031

This clutch kit has the sleeve and bearing. I just bought one two months ago and it fit perfect. If you have a sleeve and it doesnt fit use the sleeve from the kit with the bearing.

If you replace a clutch I would recommend you replace the fork too. I have two that have failed in higher mileage cars. They are $25-30 from the dealer and most have at least one on hand.
kay95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
2nd25RS
1.8L

Car: 1998 RS #2
Trader Rating: (0)

I would say that the sticker is very trustworthy, unless your transmission was swapped out after that sleeve kit was installed.

You want PDM's TSK1-B, which is the replacement bearing for your snout repair. Buy a new clutch kit and throw the included bearing away.
2nd25RS is offline   Reply With Quote