EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions

Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #31
SucculentBass
1.8L

Car: Aqua Frost 1993 Impreza L RWD
Fav Mod: FMIC ran under headlights
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Update: June 2019

Wow it's been a while! Almost a year to the day.

Well, here are some updates. The ol' Scamry has been running on a Speeduino ECU for about a year now, and it's been a blast. Well, for the 6 months it had a usable engine...

I'll start from about 10 months ago when I installed the spare EJ18E, Speedy ECU, and re-worked my intercooler tubing. It was WAY different to have control over the engine. There was a big learning curve for tuning but I ended up with a reasonably good map, the result of which yielded me a lot more torque. It was suddenly possible to go WOT and not have to worry about breaking things (so I thought). I drove it from August through September before running into some weird issues, that I later tied to head gasket failure. I turned the boost up to 14 PSI and ran it all the way up to 7400 RPM before the head gaskets blew. Iím still unsure of why they blew; after dealing with some CTS issues recently I think it may have been the coolant temp sensor failed and the fans werenít kicking on at lights when it was 110 outside with the A/C onÖ But either way, it was blowing smoke out of the catch can at idle and shooting coolant out of the radiator! Fun stuff. So naturally I drove through December with these issues.

Now you may be asking yourself ďWhy it was blowing smoke out of the catch can?Ē Thatís a good question! It turns out cylinder #4 piston had over-expanded itís top ring and broke a chunk out of the side. Better yet, when I pulled apart the original EJ18 I found the exact same failure. Iíll see if I canít post picture of them, itís really quite amazing. The blocks were fine (still had the factory cross hatching), and all the pistons were B pistons between both blocks, so I decided toÖ..

Iím gonna skip pretty much all of February-May of this year because itís basically a series of epic failures followed by purchasing new blocks that ended up being bad, or needing more $$$ than they were worth.
Fast forward to 2 weeks ago: I picked up an EJ22E with new gaskets and such and just dropped it in. I had a bad ground for my coolant temp sensor that was causing a host of issues, and I blew open one of my couplers yesterday on my way to Flagstaff, so I am currently waiting on parts to get her back on the road. But sweet Jesus, this thing moves! The torque difference between an EJ18E and an EJ22E is ridiculous, and with a TD04L it really picks up. Itís currently running wastegate pressure (8 PSI) but the EJ22 moves too much exhaust for the small wastegate port on the TD04 exhaust housing, so it actually creeps up to 10-11 PSI above 5000 RPM. So Iím currently running 10-ish PSI up to 6500 RPM, but once I save up some more money and sell of these parts I have laying around, I should be able to push it a bit more. More than likely Iíll be picking up a VF-series turbocharger, or a 16G, or TD05, or 20G. I donít really know, it just depends on what pops up in the next few months. Iím still running the stock EJ18 clutch, and it seems to be holding up just fine for now. If I run a larger turbo Iíll have to really look at upgrading to an EJ22 clutch or even a 2006 WRX clutch setup, because this one is barely hangin on.

The new setup looks decent with the exception of the wiring. I bought everything I need to make a new harness, I just havenít had time to work on it yet. I was going to post some pictures but instead I made an Instagram since I'm already at the limit for data on this thread. I'm not trying to promote an Instagram page, just for curious people who want to see what it looks like or message me directly, you can find me @1993imprezalrwd
SucculentBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #32
johnxx
2.2L

Car: '96 OBS
Fav Mod: EJ204!
Trader Rating: (1)

Nice! Another Speeduino user! Have you had any sync issues with the 6/7 trigger wheel setup? I never got that going reliably I still had the EJ22 in my car, but now I'm starting to wonder whether I had the polarity backwards. The 36-2-2-2 wheel has been damn near bulletproof though. I'm on their Slack channel if you ever drop by there.
johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:24 AM   #33
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom

You should keep your eye out for some EJ25D DOHC heads. They'll drop your CR for more reliable boost and they flow a lot more air, I think you'll like the results.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #34
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucculentBass View Post
Iím gonna skip pretty much all of February-May of this year because itís basically a series of epic failures followed by purchasing new blocks that ended up being bad, or needing more $$$ than they were worth.

are you me?? happy boosting! sounds like you got a fun one
Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #35
SucculentBass
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxx View Post
Nice! Another Speeduino user! Have you had any sync issues with the 6/7 trigger wheel setup? I never got that going reliably I still had the EJ22 in my car, but now I'm starting to wonder whether I had the polarity backwards. The 36-2-2-2 wheel has been damn near bulletproof though. I'm on their Slack channel if you ever drop by there.
This is very common. I know a handful of others that have tried the 6/7 trigger first and couldn't get it to work. I'm using a 36-2-2-2 trigger with batch fire so I don't have to use a cam sensor, but I'm considering adding one in to my new harness so I can go sequential. I never actually tried the 6/7 trigger because of all the issues I saw beforehand. My crank signal is nearly perfect, I have almost no interference with any of my sensors. I didn't know there was a Slack channel, I normally post questions on the N/A-T Subarus Facebook group or directly to the guy at SpeedyEFI that made my ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
You should keep your eye out for some EJ25D DOHC heads. They'll drop your CR for more reliable boost and they flow a lot more air, I think you'll like the results.
I was planning on that for a while but now I can run any heads I want. If you look up the flow numbers, any phase 2 heads flow better than any phase 1 heads. Even the EJ222/3 SOHC single port heads flow better than the EJ25D heads. That's not to say those would be my preference. I am currently piecing together an EJ22T block with Wiseco EJ22T pistons and EJ205 heads. I don't remember what the CR would be, but it was something like 8.3:1-8:6-1 depending on the head gasket. I would be running whatever head gasket gave me a proper quench height. But that would be an engine I wouldn't have to worry about for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
are you me?? happy boosting! sounds like you got a fun one
Yeah I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been through that. The upside is I found a complete EJ22T for $150. It dropped 2 oil squirters but it's at the shop getting cleaned up right now.

Like I said before, I don't like promoting an Instagram page, but I did post pretty much all the photos I have of the last year on my page yesterday. You can see a lot of the things mentioned above. I was thinking about deleting it and making a Twitter instead so interested parties could save the photos easily if they want a closer look or something, any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #36
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucculentBass View Post
I was planning on that for a while but now I can run any heads I want. If you look up the flow numbers, any phase 2 heads flow better than any phase 1 heads. Even the EJ222/3 SOHC single port heads flow better than the EJ25D heads. That's not to say those would be my preference. I am currently piecing together an EJ22T block with Wiseco EJ22T pistons and EJ205 heads. I don't remember what the CR would be, but it was something like 8.3:1-8:6-1 depending on the head gasket. I would be running whatever head gasket gave me a proper quench height. But that would be an engine I wouldn't have to worry about for a while.
Yes, it's a little unfortunate... I like the phase 1 head because I don't have to f with my wiring harness, and EJ20G/K/H/R cams drop in for a little more top end.

I like your build, I'm jealous of that block. I've got 8.5:1 Wiseco pistons and Manley rods for a 22e block with EJ20G heads. Planning on a td06-20g!

Rock on!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #37
SucculentBass
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Yes, it's a little unfortunate... I like the phase 1 head because I don't have to f with my wiring harness, and EJ20G/K/H/R cams drop in for a little more top end.

I like your build, I'm jealous of that block. I've got 8.5:1 Wiseco pistons and Manley rods for a 22e block with EJ20G heads. Planning on a td06-20g!

Rock on!
Yeah that's still a damn good setup. Should outrun most things on the road lol This stock EJ22E is killing it already, I can imagine a larger turbo and more boost would make a damn fast car (for my standards).

I'm currently in the process of getting the IACV dialed in, but once that happens I think I'll be dropping a new clutch, fuel pump, and turbo in this thing. The TD04L is just too small; it spools so quickly I have to be super sensitive with the throttle just to stay out of boost. I could wire in an EBCS to control that a bit, but I like the way wastegates work on their own. A TD05, 16G, or VF48 would all be nice with a 10 PSI spring.