Non dccd jdm 6 speed binding - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Non dccd jdm 6 speed binding

Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
curiotmicuri
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Non dccd jdm 6 speed binding

Just finished swapping a non dccd jdm sti 6 speed with this code TY856WL4CC. It came with the original 3.9. When making sharp turns going slow its binding and also I experience the same when starting off going straight in first.a When driving on the freeway at 80 there are no issues.

Last edited by curiotmicuri; 06-11-2019 at 12:01 AM..
curiotmicuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

is your rear differential also 3.9?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
curiotmicuri
1.8L

it is.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
silverton
2.0L Turbo

If your tires are all the same size and all at the similar tread depths... it sounds like the center is binding. Depending on mileage and abuse it received... someone posted on nasioc about trying a different gear oil, ymmv
Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
curiotmicuri
1.8L

We were suspecting we got an incorrect rear diff. We marked the tires (all same size and everything) and drove it in first for a few rotations, the marks were not in the same place. We pulled the diff and it was a 3.9 so how can that difference be there. With the diff out we turned the front wheels and one spun the opposite way of the other. The guys at the shop say that points to a bad front diff. The only thing I was thinking could be a problem is the 06 m=>m front axles we used which are supposed to work. If they aren't causing the binding then the transmission would be bad right? Front diff or center diff? If the center diff is bad would that cause the asymmetrical rotation? It is supposed to be low millage and we are using oem stuff.

EDIT: follow up question. Can front axle binding cause a difference in the rotation front to rear?

Last edited by curiotmicuri; 06-12-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
silverton
2.0L Turbo

I don't think the axles could cause your problems. If they fit on the stub with the correct number of splines you're good to go. From what I can find about that trans code is that it's from a 2004 Forester STi. It does claim that the front diff is an A.P. Suretrac so when free spinning a front wheel the other side should be rotating in the same direction.

I was thinking transfer ratio but your transmission has a 1:1 TR so that's not it. Some cars (mostly WRX's) use a 1.1:1 TR with a 3.9 front diff and a 3.54 rear diff. Did you put a 3.54 rear diff in your car assuming it was a 3.9 from a 1.1 TR car? If the front tires are turning further than the rears in your marked test, that scenario is very likely.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
curiotmicuri
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
I don't think the axles could cause your problems. If they fit on the stub with the correct number of splines you're good to go. From what I can find about that trans code is that it's from a 2004 Forester STi. It does claim that the front diff is an A.P. Suretrac so when free spinning a front wheel the other side should be rotating in the same direction.

I was thinking transfer ratio but your transmission has a 1:1 TR so that's not it. Some cars (mostly WRX's) use a 1.1:1 TR with a 3.9 front diff and a 3.54 rear diff. Did you put a 3.54 rear diff in your car assuming it was a 3.9 from a 1.1 TR car? If the front tires are turning further than the rears in your marked test, that scenario is very likely.
Its a 3.9 R180 we counted how many turns it takes to get it once around and the parts distributor claims it all came from one car. Is there any other way the rears would turn a different amount than the fronts? One thing to point out, when I was pulling into my parking spot after i got the car back i was coasting into the spot in neutral and once I turned the car, it came to a stop without braking.