Differences between jdm ej205 and usdm harness - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Differences between jdm ej205 and usdm harness

Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
AndrewB23
1.8L

Car: 1998 Impreza 2.5rs
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Differences between jdm ej205 and usdm harness

I'm wanting to potentially swap my 98 2.5rs with a jdm ej205 with avcs and I was wondering if there's a difference between the jdm and usdm harnesses beside the usdm not having avcs plugs. I'm wondering because I don't mind merging my harness with the jdm one myself but I can only find the post about Brydon teaching you how to merg harnesses but it's for the usdm harness. If they are pretty much the same and I can use that to help guide me that would be great, but if they're different is there a link that will help me like that post. I want to use the jdm ECU and harness so I can have avcs, I don't want to have to send anything to get merged for me or have to add the avcs plugs to a usdm harness especially since the harnesses cost the same and I would have to spend extra for an avcs adapter kit.
AndrewB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
00redOBS
3.3L

Fav Mod: parking tickets
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB23 View Post
I'm wanting to potentially swap my 98 2.5rs with a jdm ej205 with avcs and I was wondering if there's a difference between the jdm and usdm harnesses beside the usdm not having avcs plugs. I'm wondering because I don't mind merging my harness with the jdm one myself but I can only find the post about Brydon teaching you how to merg harnesses but it's for the usdm harness. If they are pretty much the same and I can use that to help guide me that would be great, but if they're different is there a link that will help me like that post. I want to use the jdm ECU and harness so I can have avcs, I don't want to have to send anything to get merged for me or have to add the avcs plugs to a usdm harness especially since the harnesses cost the same and I would have to spend extra for an avcs adapter kit.

Post | iwire
00redOBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
AndrewB23
1.8L

I'm going to guess they're pretty much the same, so I'll just get the jdm harness that way I don't have to spend extra money for the adapter or to have iwire do it. If I had an extra $600 or so I would love if iwire did it for me, but it's a little steep especially for just a few hours or up to a days worth of work.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
AndrewB23
1.8L

Just checked prices again and its $730 which is extremely steep especially if you have to wait a month or I can spend an extra $200 and get it sooner which would make it $930.... that's almost the cost of the engine itself.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
181stLeader
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Aerosim Carbon Widebody
Trader Rating: (14)

The JDM ej205 with AVCS will all plug in and run with a usdm 02-05 wrx harness. You will need to repin the TGV wires and add 4 wires from the engine bay to the ecu to enable AVCS though. Its pretty easy to add the AVCS wires. There is a PDF floating around that tells you what you need to do.

*edit* Found it:

avcs_install_document.pdf - Google Drive
Old 09-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
IWire
Premium Vendor

Fav Mod: Swap
Trader Rating: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB23 View Post
Just checked prices again and its $730 which is extremely steep especially if you have to wait a month or I can spend an extra $200 and get it sooner which would make it $930.... that's almost the cost of the engine itself.
In addition to the AVCS blog post we have this one which will clarify some of the 205 differences.
Post | iwire

Just a note about DIY. We have fixed a lot of DIY merges in the last year and it ends up costing more than 2x the price because most of the time we have to replace both the RS and WRX harnesses because they are damaged beyond repair and 4-6 weeks turns into 4-6 months.

Please be 100% sure you know exactly what to do from start to finish before cutting anything.

I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, as plenty of people have completed on their own successfully. I'm just putting the warning out there because I don't want to see any more people in these situations.
IWire is offline   Reply With Quote