Making the auto trans go away... - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Making the auto trans go away...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
felix
1.8L
 
Car: none yet
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: south jersey
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 5
Default Making the auto trans go away...

Noob here. been a gearhead for near 50 years. my first scoob was a 77 wagon. been thru a few since. my wife's grandson is just permit age and wants a 98 wrx clone. found a couple of 95 to 97 coupes look like decent starting points. how much doing is removing the auto trans setup and replacing with clutch? and what year donor car would work best. I know. if you have a welder and a hammer you could get a 454 chebby in there. doesnt mean it is a good idea.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
silverton
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burien, WA
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,184
Default

Subaru's are by far the very best lego car you could ever get, next to a Nissan. Parts essentially bolt and plug in. iwire sells kits to convert the auto harness to a manual.
__________________
2001 RS+T - 2001 LGT
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
felix
1.8L
 
Car: none yet
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: south jersey
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 5
Default

good to know. looks like very little traffic on this forum. are there any better ones for this car?
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
silverton
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burien, WA
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,184
Default

All the information you will need is here. This is the only forum for the 93-01 Impreza as far as I know.
__________________
2001 RS+T - 2001 LGT
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Grackle
1.8L
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Noob here. been a gearhead for near 50 years. my first scoob was a 77 wagon. been thru a few since. my wife's grandson is just permit age and wants a 98 wrx clone. found a couple of 95 to 97 coupes look like decent starting points. how much doing is removing the auto trans setup and replacing with clutch? and what year donor car would work best. I know. if you have a welder and a hammer you could get a 454 chebby in there. doesnt mean it is a good idea.

Not hard at all if you have a little experience in wrenching. I swapped my 2000 RS from an auto to manual with parts from a 2003 WRX, a few wires need to be run for the backup lights, and speed sensor. I had it done in a few days by myself using resources from this forum.
Grackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #6
felix
1.8L
 
Car: none yet
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: south jersey
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle View Post
Not hard at all if you have a little experience in wrenching. I swapped my 2000 RS from an auto to manual with parts from a 2003 WRX, a few wires need to be run for the backup lights, and speed sensor. I had it done in a few days by myself using resources from this forum.
did you use rear drive axles and diff? the track is about an inch wider on 03's. do struts and control arms fit from 03 to 00 also? got a beat rear quarter, so this is a good candidate for 22b clone-wannabe-copy-whatever...
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
careercadaver
2.7L
 
Car: 93 L Wagon 1.8L
Fav Mod: Still working on those...
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Trader Rating: (13)
Posts: 488
Default

The sedan is wider. The GD wagons have the same track as the GC. Iím
In the middle of the same swap. I went to the hubs for the wider track.
careercadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
IWire
Premium Vendor
 
IWire's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Swap
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern California
Trader Rating: (23)
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
Subaru's are by far the very best lego car you could ever get, next to a Nissan. Parts essentially bolt and plug in. iwire sells kits to convert the auto harness to a manual.
Thanks for the shout out Silverton! Here is a link to our blog post about auto to manual conversions. It gives a general overview since the wiring changes so much between car models and years. We also have our connector packages which source all of the necessary parts for the project.

iWire Auto to Manual Conversion
__________________
iWire Subaru Wiring Services
949-510-8278
www.iwireservices.com
IWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect