Give me your opinion: GF4 Suspension Upgrades - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Give me your opinion: GF4 Suspension Upgrades

Old 10-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
25rsgirlxxx
2.2L

Car: 06 obp wrx, 87 bmw 325
Trader Rating: (0)
Default Give me your opinion: GF4 Suspension Upgrades

So I'm upgrading the suspension on my gf4 which is my current daily.
Not my first rodeo, but since the car doesn't have rust or rot.. Figured I'd make the ole girl nice.
Not trying to set the world on fire or track the car (yet).. So the goal is simple : retain a somewhat comfortable ride, but enable the car to be able to hug turns without laying on the damn door handle in the process.

I have decided on the following which I am looking for opinions on:
- kyb agx struts
- sti group n front strut mounts
- h&r sport springs
- whiteline 22mm front and rear sway bars

Im still on trying to decide on
- end links
- bushings (poly is my preference but "terminology" of what the actual bushings are is what's messing me up)
- to upgrade or to not upgrade OE lateral links and/or trailing arms
- rear strut mounts (don't recall if group n rear mounts would be compatible or not)
- whatever else I currently can't think of but am probably missing

Input is appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
25rsgirlxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Cant go wrong with AGX's, best bang for the buck. H&R sport springs are good, id prefer those over Eibach as Eibach uses progressive rates which feel weird to me.

Stock front endlinks are best for longevity, but you can get any brand front and rear as they're pretty much all the same.

Id stick with smaller sway bars for daily driving, maybe throw a bigger rear bar if anything, a WRX 19 or 20mm would work well and not cause major changes in how the car rides.

Group N mounts are the best, but OEM mounts will last you another 10-15 years as well.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Agree with Banshee, Eibach is gross.

AGX's are an awesome upgrade. Biggest thing is to just put new bushings in. No need to go super fancy on suspension arms but replacing bushing/end links can do wonders for an old car. If you really want to ball out pick up the complete Group N mount kit. STI Group N Bushing Kit GC/GF

Also, try and find some of the JDM aluminum front control arms and get yourself a good set of strut bars. If you really want to ball out start bracing the underside of the car.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Bast
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Prodrive all things
Trader Rating: (4)

Don't forget a good set of rubber too
Old 10-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
25rsgirlxxx
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Cant go wrong with AGX's, best bang for the buck. H&R sport springs are good, id prefer those over Eibach as Eibach uses progressive rates which feel weird to me.

Stock front endlinks are best for longevity, but you can get any brand front and rear as they're pretty much all the same.

Id stick with smaller sway bars for daily driving, maybe throw a bigger rear bar if anything, a WRX 19 or 20mm would work well and not cause major changes in how the car rides.

Group N mounts are the best, but OEM mounts will last you another 10-15 years as well.
Thank you for your input. I was debating between tanabe and eibach Springs but the progressive it's what concerned me. As far as the sway bars go I'm getting a killer deal on everything I've actually decided on that I can't even get at cost.
I know 22 mm is a lot stiffer but worst case scenario I can always change that in the future if I decide I don't like it. I have a set of Perrin endlinks that are spherical at home from a previous vehicle but they tend to be more noisy. I can always put stock end links on it if absolutely necessary.
My main confusion at the moment is the bushings for the trailing arms and the lateral links because it reminds me of how BMW labels there control arms which is super confusing. I know that I definitely need to replace the bushings on the rear suspension where the lateral links and the knuckle (I believe) me with that really long Bolt that goes through the whole assembly. But I'm not sure what Subaru would consider those bushings that the bolt rides through. However, I have about 10 of those damn bolts at home along with 6 NTN OEM wheel bearings so as far as that is considered I'm okay

Old 10-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Those would be lateral link bushings, which you can also get in a group-n rubber if you want. Theres plenty of companies that make urethane ones but they need to be greased more than once a year and squeak/bind when they dry out or get water/dirt in them. For a daily driver, rubber is the way to go.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
25rsgirlxxx
2.2L

Quote:
Those would be lateral link bushings, which you can also get in a group-n rubber if you want. Theres plenty of companies that make urethane ones but they need to be greased more than once a year and squeak/bind when they dry out or get water/dirt in them. For a daily driver, rubber is the way to go.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my numerous Google sheets - I've written down a few part numbers.

20251AA000 bushings (x2) - - - Outer Lateral Link?

20540AA001 bolt (x1)
20550AA010 Locking Nut (x1)
900335056 washer (x2)

Also - considering I've never actually ruined a bushing for what I'm planning on replacing.. Is there a metal sleeve that is not able to be seen?
It's been a while since I've taken apart that whole area so to be honest.. I don't freaking remember. Haha

I would guess that if the bushings that go through the bolt are outer, then the obvious for the other end of the bars would be
a) rear inner and
b) front inner?

Old 10-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Yup, the bushings are rubber bonded to a steel tube where the bolts pass through. You'll need a press or bearing puller tool to change these as well

20251AA000 x4 (outer bushing)
20251AA010 x2 (inner front)
20251AA021 x2 (inner rear)

20540AA111 x2 rear toe bolt
20560AA000 x2 washer cam toe bolt

901000110 x2 rear flange bolt
902350006 x2 rear bolt locking nut
Old 10-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
25rsgirlxxx
2.2L

Quote:
Yup, the bushings are rubber bonded to a steel tube where the bolts pass through. You'll need a press or bearing puller tool to change these as well

20251AA000 x4 (outer bushing)

20251AA010 x2 (inner front)

20251AA021 x2 (inner rear)

20540AA111 x2 rear toe bolt

20560AA000 x2 washer cam toe bolt

901000110 x2 rear flange bolt

902350006 x2 rear bolt locking nut

You are a God send. I feel inclined to send you a gift lmao.

Isn't there a specialty took for this this specific task?