1996 brighton coupe, help with 97 OBS struts - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
1996 brighton coupe, help with 97 OBS struts

Old 07-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
350TacoZilla
1.8L

Car: 1996 Impreza 2dr ej18 5spd AWD
Fav Mod: none yet
Trader Rating: (0)
Default 1996 brighton coupe, help with 97 OBS struts

So a few years ago I needed to get my car on the rd and the struts were shot, as in leaking and car pogo'd like it had no struts at all. I was in hurry and broke (still broke) so I bought $99 ebay coilovers to get it on rd quick. Well after 3 back surgeries the ride was too much to deal with (apparently someone at maxpeedingrods thinks a impreza needs 560lb.in and 336lb.in spring rates.) and I had a 1997 Outback Sport parts car so with help of my dad and a friend I swapped the struts over, everything bolted up ok with no issues but now it looks like I lifted the front but rear stayed same height as coilovers....

I had searched before but everyone seems to do a swap to lift them with mix match of forrester and legacy outback parts, I'm not looking for a lift at all really I just want a car to drive and not break out in cold sweats at the sight of a expansion joint or pot hole. I had car aligned already because it really needed it and I'm happy with how the front rides\handles but the rear is bugging me. Do I need different top mounts to match the coupe towers or is it the whole strut that needs changed? I was debating just getting a set of saggy rear spacers for now but not sure if that will bring it up enough.

Also my car didnt have any rear sway bar and the OBS did so I'll probably grab that at later date and swap it in, is there anything I should know before starting this? I know I need the mounts off car body and will probably just take whole rear arms rather than try to cut and weld mounts on my current control arms.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
350TacoZilla
1.8L

Car: 1996 Impreza 2dr ej18 5spd AWD
Fav Mod: none yet
Trader Rating: (0)

Oh I should add that I had thought about buying new rear springs for the coilovers and putting the current springs on the front coilovers. Since stock is supposed to be around 140lb.in front and 130lb.in rear I figured maybe 336lb.in front and 230ish rear would be firm but livable but not sure about that either having only had experience with stock and worn out or new coilovers that are bricks.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote