1997 Impreza outback rear diff - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
1997 Impreza outback rear diff

Old 10-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
t-wrx
1.8L

Car: 2001, 2.5RS, dark blue
Fav Mod: turbo
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Jack the car up and put it in drive. You've got a 4.111 rear diff, correct? If the rear wheels spin faster than the fronts, your trans is a 4.444 FD. If the rear wheels spin slower, the trans should be a 3.90 FD. The higher the final drive, the slower the wheels will spin at a given engine speed, so you should be able to figure out which direction to go. Good luck!
I’ll try that tonight but I guess I could have been sold the wrong diff off eBay. The seller told me it was a 4.11 out of a 09 Legacy 2.5 no turbo and that it would definitely work with my car.
t-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-wrx View Post
Iíll try that tonight but I guess I could have been sold the wrong diff off eBay. The seller told me it was a 4.11 out of a 09 Legacy 2.5 no turbo and that it would definitely work with my car.
Hmm that could be, and would be very unfortunate. I wouldn't know with anything as new as 09, but back in the 90's and early 00's the base models/L's typically had more economical gears like 3.90's vs the GT's and RS's which had sportier gears like 4.11's. Those are the numbers for the manuals though, autos could be different.

I think you can spin the driveshaft manually and count how many times the rear wheel spins for the ratio? I read something along those lines long ago, might help you determine the rear diff at least.

Edit: oh yeah, have you ruled out torque bind in the trans itself?

Last edited by SoCoNoHa; 10-01-2019 at 12:08 PM..
SoCoNoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
t-wrx
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoNoHa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-wrx View Post
I’ll try that tonight but I guess I could have been sold the wrong diff off eBay. The seller told me it was a 4.11 out of a 09 Legacy 2.5 no turbo and that it would definitely work with my car.
Hmm that could be, and would be very unfortunate. I wouldn't know with anything as new as 09, but back in the 90's and early 00's the base models/L's typically had more economical gears like 3.90's vs the GT's and RS's which had sportier gears like 4.11's. Those are the numbers for the manuals though, autos could be different.

I think you can spin the driveshaft manually and count how many times the rear wheel spins for the ratio? I read something along those lines long ago, might help you determine the rear diff at least.

Edit: oh yeah, have you ruled out torque bind in the trans itself?
Well I was thinking about that and wondering if my center diff could be damaged from the rear diff blowing up but my experience with center diffs binding only happens when turning. My car is binding going straight too, even just slowly creeping forward or backward
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
yarrgh
3.3L

Car: Black 2001 RS
Fav Mod: larger rear brakes

Do you have the old diff? Count the teeth. Ring teeth/pinion teeth = ratio.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
t-wrx
1.8L

Alright so I think this is the right diff. I think the problem I’m having now is the solenoid that controls the awd system. I’ve been using my jumpbox so every time I disconnect it all the memory disappears. I left the jump box on and started the car again and I got the flashing AT temp light. 16 flashes which I remember being a stored DTC in the TCM. I don’t have a way to scan the TCM on this car but I tried putting it in fwd mode with a fuse and it didn’t work which from what I can remember means a short in the transfer clutch solenoid. So I’ll be pulling the tail shaft off this weekend to see what things looks like. I’m just hoping whoever had this car before me didn’t drive it like this too long because there could be some more damage.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #16
wolficus
1.8L

Car: 2006, 2.5i Black Wagon

found something that may or may not help...
find your car on this site.
http://opposedforces.com/parts/
go to -> browse parts -> train -> Differential (transmission)
under Gear set-hypoid it should have your final drive.

Hope it helps.
wolficus is offline   Reply With Quote