Need motor help!! Brighton 2.2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Need motor help!! Brighton 2.2

Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Forch72
2.0L

Car: 97 2.2 Brighton
Fav Mod: Boooooooosttttt
Trader Rating: (1)
Default Need motor help!! Brighton 2.2

So if you guys check out my build thread or instgram (gc22rs) Iíve been doing a ton of chassis and suspension work plus did 5spd swap and drum to disk brake swap. Was just about to get the car aligned and heard a weird noise from my timing area. Long story short my woodruff key slot has enlarged it self almost double so my crank is shot.

So Iíve been looking at my options and would love input.(Iím only looking for 250-300whp max, car is going to be a mountain/auto x car and Iím not trying to break the bank)

Option 1:ej205 swap from jdm website. Looking at 1500+ for motor ecu wiring harness. I know this is going to end up costing nearly 3k+ And I donít feel like getting into harness merging and all that. Also I then found tuning is limited with the jdm ecu.

Option 2: buy a used outback with H6. Found several for 1500 with higher mileage but at least Iíll have everything I need.

Option 3: buy a new Subaru crank shaft for ej20 ($380) my understanding is they are the same. Replace bearings and I figured spend the extra money on rods (not sure what ones either Manley or maybe stock Subaru ej20 ones? again keep price in mind) and either take out ej22t pistons or aftermarket ones. Also on frssport.com found a full Tomei kit for 15xx$

I like the idea of option 3 because again Iím just running a td04 Iím not looking for crazy power and I can pull the short block out myself and send it to get rebuilt and I donít have to deal with a ton of wiring issues.. ( I did put the better oil pump and turbo water pump on my block and replaced all gaskets in head and block)

Also if I do build the ej22 I will be doing KillerB oil pan and pickup, sti yellow injectors. I already have a factory wrx header/up pipe/ td04 rotated cold side/ walbro 255kit and FMIC.

I donít see a lot of people building these ej22 Iím not sure why?! Any and all input is appreciated.
Forch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #2
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom

The ej18, ej20, and ej22 all share the same 75mm crankshaft, except the 2.0 STI's, which are same same but better (balancing, coating...).

My theory is most people wanting to spend money on their engines will want to maximise displacement for a more powerful starting point, so they go 2.5L. Or they import the tried and true, rev happy 2.0. Personally, I love the 2.2.

I think a stock 2.2 bottom end with EJ20G or EJ25D heads would reach your goal, but it's not a bad idea to overbuild it. I found a great deal on Manley rods and Wiseco pistons for the 2.2, so that's what I'm doing with the 20g heads.

Honestly, I don't see the H6 being worth it unless you really aren't after much power. It's a noticeable bump from an N/A 4 cylinder, but nothing like a turbo 4. However you do get great reliability and the best exhaust sounds you'll ever hear. And if you turbo'd the H6 you would have a real beast.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Forch72
2.0L

Car: 97 2.2 Brighton
Fav Mod: Boooooooosttttt

I just donít want to go down the rabbit hole of wiring. Although it is 100% figured out I just donít have the confidence in doing it. And if Iím going to spend several hundred Iíd rather go with an aftermarket like a Haltech. Only good this about this car is I donít have abs AC radio or power anything so wiring is minimal and I would like to take more out.
Forch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom

EJ25D heads and manifold have nearly identical wiring, everything except the Idle Air Control Valve will plug right in. I used my 1.8 throttle body for the interested IACV. Now that I think of it, with your 2.2 harness the IACV might plug right in as well.
And you'll need some kind of engine management if you want that much power in that car, so you'll have to do some wiring regardless. I'd recommend a piggyback because I've had good luck with my AEM FIC6 and it's only like 6 up to 16ish wires depending on how much you hook up.