Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

406-Legacy 22T

7K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  George.of.the.Jungle 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Doug and I have a 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo Automatic.

This car came from the factory with a non intercooled EJ22T fully closed SOHC engine.

When I got the car it was in some need of some TLC. The items that needed immediate attention, Axles, Radiator, Alternator, Struts and Springs as well as an oil leak problem.

After a year of driving the car around I was able to repair all of the problems minus the oil leak. When i fix the oil leak I will replace the head gaskets and the smaller turbo (VF11) with a USDM 02-07 WRX TD04 turbo; upon many hours of research I found out I can equip the car with a WRX turbo and run 12-15psi on stock engine management. Fuel cut kicks in around 14psi depending on elevation. If i recall correctly the WRX turbo flows roughly 100CFM's more then the stock turbo. resulting in more air, more fuel, more power. Now I chose the WRX turbo for many reasons. The wrx turbo will allow me to use OEM ECU, OEM injectors, OEM controls, that translates to RELIABLE! :D I should expect about a 15% increase in power ~ 20-30hp increase. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.

I have a lot more to add to this post but I truly would like to just show some pictures of progress. Pictures are worth 1k words. :)

View attachment 175

See less See more
#12 ·
it is pretty damn stout.

once i get caught up on some debts from the baby being born i am going to try and do a rebuild with new bearings(i have them sitting on the shelf in the garage). i would like to do a sohc re-grind(i know DOHC flows more air) but i dislike DOHC for ease of spark plug replacement and timing belts.. :)

I really want a twin scroll turbo, but the next step would be to save up for a standalone since this car is OBD1. bigger brakes, and buy 2 front megan coilovers so i can install my 2 rears that i have collecting dust..

I have a lot of plans but with a new child being broughgt into this world.. car is least on the priority list. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.