18+ STI Brakes - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
18+ STI Brakes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Ricco
2.2L
 
Fav Mod: Moar loud!
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 104
Default 18+ STI Brakes

Has anyone managed to fit 18+ STI 6 piston brakes on a GC?

If so, what wheel setup was required.. Seems like there are plenty of 18x8.5 wheels that clear them but that may be a little large for a GC, especially with an offset that will allow clearance between caliper and wheel spokes.
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
1.8L
 
Car: 2002 WRX
Fav Mod: Enemy of Aku
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Not In My Own Tme
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 22
Default

All you have to do is look for 18+ STi wheels. Any wheel that is for the 18+ STi will clear the brakes. So, find the correct wheel size and then find out what the offset is and then match that and you * should * be good to go.


But, the question is, " Why do you want those particular brakes? ". They are not cheap and if this is for a DD, even the earlier large Brembo STi brakes would be an excellent option with the right street pads.


Also remember that you have to match the wheel bolt pattern that you have
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Wannabe WRX
Cluster Specialist
 
Wannabe WRX's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Type R Limited# 95/1000
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Trader Rating: (36)
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
Has anyone managed to fit 18+ STI 6 piston brakes on a GC?

If so, what wheel setup was required.. Seems like there are plenty of 18x8.5 wheels that clear them but that may be a little large for a GC, especially with an offset that will allow clearance between caliper and wheel spokes.

First and most important question is if you're currently running on a 5x114.3 hub. The 6-pot rotor will only be found in that PCD pattern (it also happens to be almost an inch larger than the earlier brembo rotors). Flatirons Tuning suggests either the 19x8 OEM wheel or something in the 18x9 range (measuring will be required).


So, your options are either re-drill the rotor or custom rotor if you plan on staying 5x100. Otherwise, you'll need the 05+ STi hubs and suspension to fit those Brembos on.
Wannabe WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
silverton
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burien, WA
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,086
Default

Just paint an older set that you know works for your car lime green.
__________________
2001 STM AutoMagic - boost for as long as I keep my foot down
silverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
Ricco
2.2L
 
Fav Mod: Moar loud!
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
All you have to do is look for 18+ STi wheels. Any wheel that is for the 18+ STi will clear the brakes. So, find the correct wheel size and then find out what the offset is and then match that and you * should * be good to go.
While this sounds easy, most everyone running these brakes is doing so on later model platforms, so they are mostly in the 18x9+ range which is too wide for my stock body GC. There is a thread on NASIOC covering this.
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
Ricco
2.2L
 
Fav Mod: Moar loud!
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe WRX View Post
First and most important question is if you're currently running on a 5x114.3 hub. The 6-pot rotor will only be found in that PCD pattern (it also happens to be almost an inch larger than the earlier brembo rotors). Flatirons Tuning suggests either the 19x8 OEM wheel or something in the 18x9 range (measuring will be required).


So, your options are either re-drill the rotor or custom rotor if you plan on staying 5x100. Otherwise, you'll need the 05+ STi hubs and suspension to fit those Brembos on.
Yes I'm aware of the different bolt patterns, and recommended wheel sizes, my question though was about GC specific wheel fitment as the obvious candidates that clear these brakes are too big for a GC.
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
Ricco
2.2L
 
Fav Mod: Moar loud!
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
Just paint an older set that you know works for your car lime green.
The lime green is the only bit I dont like about them. I'll likely have them powder coated red.

I currently have 3 different brake options for my GC, old school 4/2pots, STI Brownbos and the 18+ STI Brembos. I'll run the 18+ STI Brembos for cool factor, so long as I can find a decent 18" wheel to clear them.

Right now I'm thinking an 18x8.5 +48 wouldnt be too unreasonable on a GC, but I'm hoping I can find an 18x8 that will clear (but also not look like ass).
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Wannabe WRX
Cluster Specialist
 
Wannabe WRX's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Type R Limited# 95/1000
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Trader Rating: (36)
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
Yes I'm aware of the different bolt patterns, and recommended wheel sizes, my question though was about GC specific wheel fitment as the obvious candidates that clear these brakes are too big for a GC.
Emphasis mine.

Nothing less than 18x8.5 is going to a candidate to clear these brakes. You might be able to play some games with the offset numbers. But this is the smallest wheel fitment you're going to get for the 6-pot. 18x8 has not been shown to be able to clear the caliper. 17 inch wheels that "fit" will have almost no clearance and the wheel weights will make contact with the brake calipers.

Not saying it's not possible - just that everyone who has been testing fitment over the 6-pots thus far has failed on 18x8 and smaller.

Good luck.
Wannabe WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
Ricco
2.2L
 
Fav Mod: Moar loud!
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe WRX View Post
Emphasis mine.

Nothing less than 18x8.5 is going to a candidate to clear these brakes. You might be able to play some games with the offset numbers. But this is the smallest wheel fitment you're going to get for the 6-pot. 18x8 has not been shown to be able to clear the caliper. 17 inch wheels that "fit" will have almost no clearance and the wheel weights will make contact with the brake calipers.

Not saying it's not possible - just that everyone who has been testing fitment over the 6-pots thus far has failed on 18x8 and smaller.

Good luck.
While I was hoping for someone to readily display an 18x8 that fits, I fear that you have the correct answer. These brakes may end up on my BRZ yet
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
Samurai Jack
1.8L
 
Car: 2002 WRX
Fav Mod: Enemy of Aku
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Not In My Own Tme
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
While this sounds easy, most everyone running these brakes is doing so on later model platforms, so they are mostly in the 18x9+ range which is too wide for my stock body GC. There is a thread on NASIOC covering this.
All true, but the point was to use that as a guide to figure out what type on internal clearances ( wheel size / offset ) you need to be looking for. Rarely does anything that is not off-the-shelf come easy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco
Right now I'm thinking an 18x8.5 +48 wouldnt be too unreasonable on a GC, but I'm hoping I can find an 18x8 that will clear (but also not look like ass).
IF the 18+ STi wheels are +48mm offset, then that gives you something to work with. You are going to have to figure out how wide a wheel you can get away with without causing interference problems. And remember, you have to account for any rubbing in the front as well when turning lock-to-lock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe WRX
17 inch wheels that "fit" will have almost no clearance and the wheel weights will make contact with the brake calipers.
That problem is easily fixed by positioning the wheel weights at a different location inside the wheel to eliminate the interference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco
I currently have 3 different brake options for my GC, old school 4/2pots, STI Brownbos and the 18+ STI Brembos
If you really MUST have the cool factor, then go for it but it is obviously more work to find which wheels you need.

As I mentioned earlier, the Old School 4-pots or the STi Brembos will also work. Better braking achieved depending on which brake pads you use, as opposed to the OEM-level pads.

I can tell you right now that the 2004 STi 17x8 +48mm 5x100 wheels will clear the STi Brembos.




... and, if you decide you want to go the Old School 4-pot route, I have a set of Racing Brake 4-pots that need rebuilding + 2 sets of EBC Red Ceramic pads to sell.

Last edited by Samurai Jack; 05-17-2019 at 07:47 AM..
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Equinox's RBP V8 EJ207 STi Swapped RSTi - Twinscroll Braps Inside equinox92 Members' Journals 2447 05-14-2019 12:13 PM
FS (USA,NY): 2000 Impreza WRX STI V5/6 Limited SOLD V5/V6limited Cars For Sale 40 09-27-2015 05:20 PM
FS (USA,MD): 04 STi/2000 RSTi Complete Car Partout + TONS More Stock and Aftermarket!! LeeC Part-Outs / Multiple Items 99 12-18-2014 03:25 AM
pezcore's subaru adventure pezcore Members' Journals 56 03-13-2013 01:38 PM
STI Cars For Sale SubieDeals.com Hot Links 10 10-18-2010 05:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect