Front endlink upgrade - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Front endlink upgrade

Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
RalYamRS79
2.2L

Car: 1999 2.5 RS coupe
Fav Mod: 4/2 pot mod
Trader Rating: (31)
Smile Front endlink upgrade

I recently went back to stock suspension setup with all new struts and springs and stock endlinks. And I always hated the way the oem endlinks in the front sit slanted like this ... / \ So when bolting them up to the stock FSB, that bolt wants to sit fairly horizontal but the end link is at an angle, as a result it makes the bushing deform and bend. Adding a spacer will help but still has that bend to it and over time might cause that bushing to fail.

I tried the Whiteline solid front end links but the result was just the same as in the stock end links. So I was searching for available endlinks and came across a Whiteline endlink for Subarus. But in this case it was a rear adjustable endlink with one end using a urethane bushing and other end a pillow ball type end where the pillow ball end can be angled to see fit.

These rear endlinks are Whiteline KLC182

There is a slight mod to these to make them fit. From one of the pics down below..you can see there is a black bushing that fits inside the bottom bushing. That piece is too long and the I.D. of it too big. So I made my own stainless bushing to fit inside the urethane bushing and also drilled the proper I.D. to use the stock bolt size. Once pressed into the urethane bushing (easily can be done by hand) ..this end link bolted right up.

Once I adjusted the length and made sure nothing was hitting or binding...I tightened everything up and have driven it for 4 days now and feels more responsive compared to stock front end links and I haven't noticed any noises or harshness from these.

Here are some pictures of the end result and also the stainless bushing I made (silver colored) next to the black bushing.

(Stainless bushing pressed into urethane bushing)

(Passenger Side)

(Driver Side)

RalYamRS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 AM   #2
subaholic
1.8L

Car: '05 Forester SG NA 5MT
Fav Mod: rear disc conv.
Trader Rating: (0)

Quality work, nicely documented. Thanks and please keep us updated as to performance as you put more miles on the setup.
subaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

This was my solution for the JDM aluminum arms. Machined some 6061 Aluminum and used off the shelf whiteline bushings.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
GC822BDREAMER
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: JDM REAR GLASS/ETS SCOOP
Trader Rating: (43)

where did u find aluminum sleeve?
GC822BDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
RalYamRS79
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
This was my solution for the JDM aluminum arms. Machined some 6061 Aluminum and used off the shelf whiteline bushings.

Nice job! I was going to machine my own also if I couldn't find already made ones. Luckily I did find some adjustable ones and so far it's working perfect! I have taking some really twisty backroads yesterday and no traffic in site and not once did I hear any noise or vibration from the endlinks.

Also I forgot to mention. These came with a urethane grease/lube that only gets applied to the bottom urethane bushing side. The ball joint end doesn't need lube.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
RalYamRS79
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC822BDREAMER View Post
where did u find aluminum sleeve?

Are you referring to the sleeves I made? If so, I made that myself out of 303 stainless steel.