Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #61
NW OBS
The Silverback Mod
 
NW OBS's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Delta 2000 Cams
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Baja Oregon'
Trader Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,913
Default

Sticky yes. Closed? Never...
__________________
"Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional."
NW OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #62
noTe
Part Deux
 
noTe's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: AP Racing brakes
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Trader Rating: (11)
Posts: 3,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Trust View Post
I can agree with skidd!

but people will fight till the death to prove someone else is wrong and they are right. if not they will nit pick every little word and try and twist things around to make you look dumb even though you were right in your comment
I'm not trying to twist things around at all, I just know for a fact what I'm talking about. I don't appreciate it when members tell me one thing when I have provided links, quotes, and information I've learned from people who race professionally and own the cars. When people don't accept the information and don't accept they are clearly wrong... I just don't know what else to do.

I am sure there are videos discussing this as well, but I'm at work and cannot access YouTube or other video sites. Alot of people sometimes don't know they are spreading wrong information which doesn't help but when I don't know anything for sure, I'll admit it and state where I heard specific information.
__________________
L WRXed - track car
noTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #63
thegoldenfist
2.5L RS-T
 
Fav Mod: Cheeseburgers!
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "The Republic of Texas"
Trader Rating: (27)
Posts: 6,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldaboughtasubie View Post
The Pontiac Aztec Rally addition came with drilled and slotted rotors up front, but out back it still had drums.

I think Skidd hit the nail on the head, a +1 will go to that crazy Canadian.
Wasnt the Pontiac Aztec the car that had the tent in the back......Just chiming in LOL

Ive got to admit, I was only interested in the drilled/slotted rotors for the looks. A mechanic had already informed me about the new break pads not creating that nasty gas.
__________________
Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
thegoldenfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #64
Skidd
Meany Head
 
Skidd's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Supercharger
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SA-TX (Hoser Expat)
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 10,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noTe View Post
...Alot of people sometimes don't know they are spreading wrong information ...
Clearly evident when you consider the long standing "Back-pressure" myth!
__________________
No no, light speed is too slow! We need LUDICROUS SPEED! (now in Supercharged flavor)
Skidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #65
Anti Trust
Premium Member
 
Anti Trust's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: STi seats?
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noTe View Post
I'm not trying to twist things around at all, I just know for a fact what I'm talking about. I don't appreciate it when members tell me one thing when I have provided links, quotes, and information I've learned from people who race professionally and own the cars. When people don't accept the information and don't accept they are clearly wrong... I just don't know what else to do.

I am sure there are videos discussing this as well, but I'm at work and cannot access YouTube or other video sites. Alot of people sometimes don't know they are spreading wrong information which doesn't help but when I don't know anything for sure, I'll admit it and state where I heard specific information.

wow someone really took that personal lol
__________________
"Not you fat Jesus, slide it on over"
Anti Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #66
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooshin View Post
you know whats even more funny

a few minutes online gave me the 60-0 times for a SL550 Mercedes, it was 115 feet

a bone stock 2000 VW Golf, with its 1/1 pot brakes, solid vented front rotors (about 240mm i think) and non-vented single piece rear rotors (like 220mm.. or less)

stops from 60-0 in 126 feet

wut wut?



brake pad selection is much more important than rotor size and or build

most cars already come with properly sized brakes anyway (except maybe the new Dodges), its the pads that are flunky.

but whatever, go bust coin on 250/piece rotors, i'm happy with my 60 dollar blanks, and if i lived close to you would love to come by and out-brake you, maybe then you'll get it.
do you know anything about the laws of momentum?
i have to side with NW OBS on this one all the way! Slotted and drilled rotors are NOT just for bling bling or weight reduction, that has almost NOTHING to do with it. How much friction is generated when you apply just a fraction of pressure on the brake pedal? its huge to stop a 3000lb car.

whether the brakes are slotted or drilled, these added effects increase the area in which heat can dissipate. this is achieved because these areas do not come into contact with the brake pad, thus no friction is coming into play and no heat is being produced in these area's. When this happens the excess heat is then transferred and dissipated away from the system.

the only reason that the average car does not offer this style of rotors is because it takes a lot more labour to produce this part, via more expensive for the manufacturer and this filters down to the consumer.....which does not want to pay for it. The reason being that MB and all the other high end vehicles do it is because of the shear heat that is produced during the braking process to slow down at the excess speeds that these cars can reach in much less time.

when the topic of NASCAR and F1 is brought into play....well these cars are mainly using carbon fibre materials in their rotor design, which dissipate heat much quicker than say steel. drilling holes do add stress concentrations points, but can be removed from simple heat treatments...

that is just my $0.02
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #67
NW OBS
The Silverback Mod
 
NW OBS's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Delta 2000 Cams
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Baja Oregon'
Trader Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,913
Question

Where is BAN SUVs? This is surely something he is going to want to respond to...
__________________
"Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional."
NW OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #68
noTe
Part Deux
 
noTe's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: AP Racing brakes
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Trader Rating: (11)
Posts: 3,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_subaru_rs View Post
Slotted and drilled rotors are NOT just for bling bling or weight reduction, that has almost NOTHING to do with it. How much friction is generated when you apply just a fraction of pressure on the brake pedal? its huge to stop a 3000lb car.

whether the brakes are slotted or drilled, these added effects increase the area in which heat can dissipate. this is achieved because these areas do not come into contact with the brake pad, thus no friction is coming into play and no heat is being produced in these area's. When this happens the excess heat is then transferred and dissipated away from the system.

the only reason that the average car does not offer this style of rotors is because it takes a lot more labour to produce this part, via more expensive for the manufacturer and this filters down to the consumer.....which does not want to pay for it. The reason being that MB and all the other high end vehicles do it is because of the shear heat that is produced during the braking process to slow down at the excess speeds that these cars can reach in much less time.
Clearly you haven't read the thread. They put these drilled rotors on cars that weigh less than 3,000 pounds. They produce more heat than blank rotors PER braking engineers who have been in the braking business for more than 25 years.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/2060801-post18.html
__________________
L WRXed - track car

Last edited by noTe; 04-14-2010 at 01:39 PM..
noTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #69
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

i did read that btw....

was just curious because they all sell slotted and drilled rotors, if so many of them are against it, what are doing selling them?

and its my knowledge that more surface area = more friction = more stopping power. BUT more friction = more heat = reduced friction = less stopping power. if im wrong point me somewhere where i may learn otherwise.
excess heat can lead to brake pad deterioration much quicker, no?
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #70
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW OBS View Post
OK, you already acknowledged you didn't know that drilled rotors were on so many DD's from Mercedes and Porsche (both built for speed and safety). So, they are present for more then bling and weight loss, although as I mentioned before, saving rotating mass weight (unsprung) is ALWAYS a good thing and yet another of their benefits.

Now go figure this, if the drilled rotors don't evacuate water better, ask yourself why Mercedes would spend this money on R&D and technology? Every car that MBZ makes with drilled rotors has this function > When you are driving in the rain (determined by your wipers being on) the calipers automatically and intermittently press against the drilled rotors to dry the brakes in case an emergency stop is needed!

Is there any argument that MBZ makes one of the safest cars on the road?

I guess they have been duped too...?


that just made my day lol
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect