Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
noTe
Part Deux

Fav Mod: AP Racing brakes
Trader Rating: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceRS View Post
So if they're only on there for looks, does that mean they're not really drilled? Because i'm quite sure they are drilled all the way through, and whether they're there for looks or not if your theory is right then NW OBS is also right in saying that according to your theory many of the daily driver built high end vehicles with drilled rotors are also unsafe.
The only reason high end performance cars have drilled rotors are for lighter rotors and looks. Plus, most of these cars have huge rotors. I am sure NW OBS does not have the same rotor size on his Subaru that these cars have. Most of the people that buy the high end cars can afford to replace their rotors every 6 months before they start cracking.

Quote:
Not sure why you're so against one person using slotted rotors on his DD, he has substantial and physical proof that it has helped him, how do you argue against that? No you actually did crash you're just brainwashed?
He isn't running slotted rotors, he is running a cross drilled rotor.

Quote:
It's pretty low to call out a father by telling him he's a risk to his own kids man, not cool.
He brought up his kids to prove a argument about braking, I simply responded saying he should probably get rid of the rotors if he cares that much. I have provided enough information that proves drilled rotors have no effect on braking but only on weight/looks.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
T A C T ii C S
2.7L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW OBS View Post
What do you know that every single race team (amateur or professional) do not???

Slotted, drill rotors dissipate heat faster and more effectively. Heat = fade, fade equals crash. If you add high quality brake fluid to the mix, you have eliminated another weak spot that causes brake fade (I use ATE DOT 4 and alternate between Gold and Blue). This way when you flush and see the color change you know your done! Flush your brakes once a year and you will have NO issues with moisture. Add SS brake lines and a master cylinder brace and you now own the best braking system money can buy, that also has great pedal feel.

Overkill on a DD? Not when I am running with my kids in the back and some idiot pulls a move I avoid by feet! Money and time well spent IMO.

This.

Also, your sig is one of those "Memorable quotes that stay with you a lifetime," of mine.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Skidd
Meany Head

Fav Mod: Supercharger
Trader Rating: (6)

To be quite honest, I don't know who/what to believe.

But when you see things like this

Brembo launches GT-R High Performance braking system
on brembo.com

It's obvious where confusion comes from.
It's good? No, it's Bad? No.. It's good!! No.. it's bad?!!
Somebody make up our minds!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
Anti Trust
Premium Member

Fav Mod: STi seats?

not to get into this sword fight but from what I have researched slotted rotors did perform better and lasted just as long as "blank" rotors. But Drilled rotors really didn't show any improvements over stock but also didn't show to "stress crack" either, but did show to wear a little faster then "stock". It was the early EBay rotors that were failing and causing many to believe they were just bad news all together.

so I would buy slotted rotors without any worries of failure or quick fatigue. I also believe that the hype of the bad rotors and the "tuner" crowed are the ones that gave these a bad name and stereotyped them as a ricer, faddish modification that didn’t do anything. Im also pretty sure top end car companies that have been in racing since day one know what they are doing and wouldn't question them on reliability.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo

Trader Rating: (0)

My philosophy has always been to do whatever the WRC guys do, because world rallying is as close to every day driving as you can get, dirt, snow, mud, asphalt, potholes etc

except the speeds are typically twice as fast and the abuse on the chassis tenfold

see any holes? (looked for extra large files so you can zoom in)

http://90right.files.wordpress.com/2...rt-cata08a.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._WRC_-_002.jpg

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/foto/...ishiwrc_02.jpg

here are some touring cars

corvette

http://huabao.autogens.com/pics/C/Co...w-1280x960.jpg

i'm not sure what this car is but fuck mang, you see any holes or slots?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/...1473216b_o.jpg

whatever you see on the street, pure marketing hype

the "big boys", the ones apperantly i have no clue about, dont use this cross drilling fancy tech

just a nice thick slab of solid steel

have a good day
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
noTe
Part Deux

Fav Mod: AP Racing brakes
Trader Rating: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
To be quite honest, I don't know who/what to believe.

But when you see things like this

Brembo launches GT-R High Performance braking system
on brembo.com

It's obvious where confusion comes from.
It's good? No, it's Bad? No.. It's good!! No.. it's bad?!!
Somebody make up our minds!
Because it is a top of the line system for a car wanting to shed weight. Also, this gets all of the riceboys to buy their super small thin cross drilled rotors. They probably cost $15-20 to produce and sell them for $100-120 each. $80 profit. However, real race teams needing to save this weight and lose a tiny bit of braking performance over blanks want it.

I already have posted enough information to easily prove it. Racing engineers who have real experience with braking systems will tell you the same thing.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #27
NW OBS
The Silverback Mod

Fav Mod: Delta 2000 Cams
Trader Rating: (14)

Do you realize how many times the two of you have contradicted yourself in one thread?

1st those rotors are put on only for "track ready cars, not DD's". Then when I list all the DD's that the best manufactures of cars in the world use on their DD's it becomes "is there only for bling"!

Which is it guys?

Drilled or slotted, either will work to disapate gas (as you quote above states). Drilled work best to evacuate water. I use a combo of both (I live in Oregon where the road is wet 80% of the time).

Finally, of course open wheeled are using smooth disk, they are running carbon/carbon these days! They are frail enough already and explode on a pretty regular basis.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Scobaru5
3.3L

Car: impreza base!
Trader Rating: (24)

I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore, is it that drilled rotors aren't safe? or that there is no added benefit to drilled rotors?

from whats understood the concept of a drilled rotor is to keep the rotors cooler. the rotor only needs to be cooler when it gets up to higher temps from braking at high speeds. A DD shouldn't see anything near these temperatures to make use of needing a rotor to cool down. If you have children in the car and your rotors are getting up to crazy high temperatures to need or even make use of the rotors needing to be cooled then you shouldn't have kids in your car.

plenty of cars on the road without drilled rotors don't experience brake fad which all a drill rotor does to prevent. I personally feel it doesn't HURT to have drilled rotors on your DD but don't think it'll prevent you from stopping any sooner when it comes to driving around on the street.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
Supers587
Wonderstud!

Car:
Fav Mod: Joshua
Trader Rating: (201)

I just threw out a set of drilled rotors... they were cracked in several places.

I've used blanks all my life and I've never had any problems. I've tried drilled and slotted and never went back to them... they crack, they warp and their life expectancy is very low.

Last edited by Supers587; 04-14-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Supers587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
Skidd
Meany Head

Fav Mod: Supercharger

^ noTe
I wasn't advocating those brakes.
Only pointing out where confusion get's created.
When a big company like Brembo puts up ads like that, it's clear what it will make people think.
Then, to read articles against them. Only to see more and more of those ads!
It makes people go

<-- Side Note
I've Never experienced brake fade in my car on stock rotors with Axis Metal Master pads. But, I've never tracked, only AutoXd.