Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
 
Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker
 
Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Drilled vs. Slotted vs. Blanks Discussion
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #101
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs182 View Post
and I doubt many on this forum will....
fine, i didnt want to but i guess i'll have to


Quote:
Originally Posted by NW OBS View Post
What do you know that every single race team (amateur or professional) do not???
Here is what I know, have seen, and experienced

here is from a day of me helping out with my friends team.. this was at Mosport International Raceway.. 20 laps of door to door stuff in pretty fast cars. They did double duty participating in two classes at once, so they ran for 2 qualifiers and 2 races, the car sees quite a bit of track time.

Photography done by a friend..

BMW M3 - my friends car
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

A talon.. i think?
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

3rd gen RX7
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

Mini
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

Sentra.. notice the drums in the back.. THIS IS FULL COMPETITION GUYS
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

BONUS:

car rolled on 18th lap
Zenfolio | Pavel Kounine | Mosport

do you see any cross drilled holes?

do you see any super fancy calipers?

do you see any super fancy rotors?

how much more proof do you want?

These are real racers spending more money on entry fees,tires, and passing tech for a single race than most people would for an entire year of owning their car.

I'll take their expertise over anything Brembo or <take your pick online retailer> does about "mad yo braking"
__________________
WTFAWD?!

Last edited by Gooshin; 04-14-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Gooshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #102
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooshin View Post
haha wow

when in reality this could be

a) they are better drivers, reaching faster speeds, and dont coast, theoretically your car should either be braking or accelerating at any given point

b) you are a better driver, and dont brake as much as they did (see my previous auto-cross/track driving post)

c) they drag their brakes for no reason due to inexperience

ive known guys to blow through a set of pads in a single weekend, they also tend to win their classes because they have no fear going into a corner at 180kph, trail braking through the entire thing.

your argument saying that blanks eat rotors is ridiculous, i cant even believe i'm bothering to respond.
nice assumptions, but in fact were all wrong. our cars had similar power and weight, similar handling characteristics, and this was during a track day held by allen berg racing school, so we all were at the same experience level.

dont make assumptions when you have no god damn clue about it.
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #103
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_subaru_rs View Post
nice assumptions, but in fact were all wrong. our cars had similar power and weight, similar handling characteristics, and this was during a track day held by allen berg racing school, so we all were at the same experience level.

dont make assumptions when you have no god damn clue about it.
so you can say with 100% certainty about how your friends drove their cars?

there a billion differnt ways to drive a car around a track

i instruct in car control school myself, and have been with quite a few students, and experienced competitors, everyone has a different line and style of driving

some more damaging to the car than others

but whatever, if you want to blame blank rotors on your friends brake pad failure, go ahead.
__________________
WTFAWD?!
Gooshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #104
NW OBS
The Silverback Mod
 
NW OBS's Avatar
 
Fav Mod: Delta 2000 Cams
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Baja Oregon'
Trader Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,913
Default

Gooshin, how many days, months, years have you spent on closed circuits racing???
Is your knowledge from knowing racing teams, or personal experience?

The only racing mod to a brake system that will not cross over into a personal high performance car are carbon/carbon braking systems which need to operate at too high of temperatures to be practical on the street.

EVERYTHING else can translate to a road car for better braking performance and feel.

I started in karts when I was 11, into shifter karts at 14, raced production motorcycles, production cars, Formula V's, Formula Fords, Formula Atlantic until my 30's. No, I was never going to be the next F1 or GP Moto star. But, I did spend thousands of hours in the seat or saddle at 10/10's trusting my brakes with my life!

Guess what? I am still here with 90% of the rotor applications having been 'drilled rotors' (or later 'slotted' rotors). The Ducati's were drilled dual full floating rotors... I did not die on the track because I ran drilled rotors and I will not die on the street with them either!

Let me ask you something simple. Because the WRC tech never mentions the slotted rotors, does that mean they are there for no reason? Slotted rotors are just more recent technology for the same issues at hand in extreme braking situations as drilled, same principal, same result. Blasting over a closed circuit, rally, or a hard run down your favorite mountain pass, it will always be best to have the best brakes money can buy.

That is NOT stock rotors with high performance pads alone... sorry. That makes as much sense as building a motor and not developing the suspension to handle the newfound power. The car is a balanced system that MUST work in harmony...
__________________
"Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional."
NW OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #105
Jason_lee
2.2L Turbo
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Trader Rating: (4)
Posts: 2,357
Default

im pretty sure gooshin has never been wrong in any thread he has posted in
__________________
meh.
Jason_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #106
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

and when he said helped out...im sure changing the tires or turning wrenches is what he meant
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #107
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo
 
Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trader Rating: (6)
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooshin View Post

i instruct in car control school myself, and have been with quite a few students, and experienced competitors, everyone has a different line and style of driving
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this is with Allen Berg, an ex F1 championship driver and his team of ALL professional drivers.

since we all took this class at the same time, we were held to very strict lines ans styles to learn proper racing techniques...
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #108
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs182 View Post
im pretty sure gooshin has never been wrong in any thread he has posted in
so i'm wrong in stating that you dont need 12" cross drilled rotors on the street?
__________________
WTFAWD?!
Gooshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #109
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_subaru_rs View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this is with Allen Berg, an ex F1 championship driver and his team of ALL professional drivers.

since we all took this class at the same time, we were held to very strict lines ans styles to learn proper racing techniques...
so now you're a pro racer that knows all the fine details of car setup

gotcha
__________________
WTFAWD?!
Gooshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #110
Gooshin
2.0L Turbo
 
Join Date: May 2009
Trader Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW OBS View Post
Gooshin, how many days, months, years have you spent on closed circuits racing???
Is your knowledge from knowing racing teams, or personal experience?

The only racing mod to a brake system that will not cross over into a personal high performance car are carbon/carbon braking systems which need to operate at too high of temperatures to be practical on the street.

EVERYTHING else can translate to a road car for better braking performance and feel.

I started in karts when I was 11, into shifter karts at 14, raced production motorcycles, production cars, Formula V's, Formula Fords, Formula Atlantic until my 30's. No, I was never going to be the next F1 or GP Moto star. But, I did spend thousands of hours in the seat or saddle at 10/10's trusting my brakes with my life!

Guess what? I am still here with 90% of the rotor applications having been 'drilled rotors' (or later 'slotted' rotors). The Ducati's were drilled dual full floating rotors... I did not die on the track because I ran drilled rotors and I will not die on the street with them either!

Let me ask you something simple. Because the WRC tech never mentions the slotted rotors, does that mean they are there for no reason? Slotted rotors are just more recent technology for the same issues at hand in extreme braking situations as drilled, same principal, same result. Blasting over a closed circuit, rally, or a hard run down your favorite mountain pass, it will always be best to have the best brakes money can buy.

That is NOT stock rotors with high performance pads alone... sorry. That makes as much sense as building a motor and not developing the suspension to handle the newfound power. The car is a balanced system that MUST work in harmony...
remember who you are arguing with, i'm not the guy that said you will die on the street in them

i said that fancy rotors are not needed on a car driven on the street, check the first post, you started this whole mess to begin with.

and the benefits of fancy, two piece rotors x-drilled sideways slotted whatever, will only be felt when you reach very high levels of competetive racing

as i have demonstrated by showing photos of cars that already participate in a level of racing that no weekend street car can even come close to, and they are running blanks!
__________________
WTFAWD?!

Last edited by Gooshin; 04-14-2010 at 07:35 PM..
Gooshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 VerticalScope Inc.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect