1998 Subaru 2.5RS Transmission + Rear Differential Oil Change - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
1998 Subaru 2.5RS Transmission + Rear Differential Oil Change

Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
Mrxwormxsayz
1.8L

Car: 1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Trader Rating: (0)
Default 1998 Subaru 2.5RS Transmission + Rear Differential Oil Change

Looking to do a oil change on transmission and rear diff in my 1998 Subaru 2.5RS. The service manual states to "Replace the Gasket with a new one" in regards to the transmission fluid change and the differential "Always use new aluminum gasket" but doesn't have part numbers. Anyone know the part numbers I cant find it on Subaruparts or the service manual. I want to be sure I have everything before draining the fluids out.
Mrxwormxsayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Skyfoogle
1.8L

Car: 99 2.5rs Coupe

I think its literally just an aluminum washer. You can go and get copper washers from advance auto or napa or whatever itll work the same. Also i wounld'nt use Subarus engine oil drain plug crush washers. I got a whole bag of them and and from my experience they leak oil. So i use a copper washer for that too
Skyfoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
kay95
Premium Member

Car: 95 L, 96 OUTBACK
Fav Mod: p1 SUSPENSION
Trader Rating: (2)

You can use copper however be aware of the galvanic corrosion that can happen given enough time. Probably nothing to worry about but that is probably why the OEM is aluminum.

Personally I dont change the washers. I just make the drain plugs tight and dont have leaks. If I do have leaks they are much smaller than the oil coming out from other parts of the engine because it has high miles. I am keeping the chassis from rusting
kay95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Samurai Jack
1.8L

Car: 2002 WRX
Fav Mod: Enemy of Aku

For your rear diff, you can go here. Look at part # 10:
Differential for 1998 Subaru Impreza | Subaru Parts Store

Your rear diff cover * should * have both a drain and fill plug, but not all cars do. If it already has both, then you do not need a new rear diff cover gasket unless yours is leaking. Use copper RTV on the threads of the plugs when re-installing

For the transmission, automatic or manual?
If it's an automatic, make sure you change the panel filter as well.
There is no gasket for the pan to transmission for the automatic. You will need to use a proper RTV for that.

Last edited by Samurai Jack; 03-27-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Mrxwormxsayz
1.8L

Car: 1998 Subaru 2.5RS

I got an email from an old vendor here in regards to a cocktail you run before draining unfortunately he didn't have any left but told me to run Dexron III ATF fluid for 30 minutes and draining while its warm to get rid of grinds. Has anyone done this for a 5 speed manual transmission before?

I picked up a bottle of Motul Dexron III to try out... I hope it doesn't harm anything.

So he told me to drop in half a liter in the transmission and drive it for about 30 minutes and drain it while warm for anyone out there wondering.
Mrxwormxsayz is offline   Reply With Quote