08 Impreza 2.5 Rebuild Help - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
08 Impreza 2.5 Rebuild Help

Old 03-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
dsantee77
1.8L

Car: 2008 Impreza 2.5i
Trader Rating: (0)
Default 08 Impreza 2.5 Rebuild Help

I recently purchased an 08 impreza w/105k miles.(2.5 na, 5 speed) had no major issues and was aware of needing to do the timing belt. so i drove it the 150 miles back home and the to school one day( Tuesday). Yesterday was the last day for class so i was going to do the belt this weekend. Right up till i believe it jumped time on the left cam.

Driving highway speed(75 mph) no noises or check engine lights. all fluids at appropriate levels. Heading uphill it started to make a decent knock when letting off gas and getting back on it. then came power loss of rpm not moving and no speed increase. turned it off immediately and pulled over. Now has smoke from exhaust(fair amount of blue, so obviously oil) no loss of coolant. but a fair sounding knock.

Got it home and started opening it up, started with timing belt idlers and such. no excessive play in tensioner, or idlers ect. what i did find is the left side cam sprocket is out of time to the rest of the motor. appears to be 2/3 teeth guessing.(retarded). So Im assuming i have a belt valve in the left bank. explains smoke and knock in my head at least.

I've almost got the motor ready to be pulled now. So awaiting the results when I remove the heads. Im planning on just a full rebuild seems how Im almost that far anyway.(could still be dreaded rod knock) Looking for guidance on best parts to use. Will be daily driven over 200 miles a day. Mainly looking for opinions on pistons, what rods, valves, head gasket(Whats all this phase 1 and phase 2 block stuff). But would like opinions on everything. Never rebuild a boxer.

Thanks for all your help, will update when i open up the motor!
dsantee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Wwwwwrx
1.8L

Car: GC8 Type A 1992
Fav Mod: done by me
Trader Rating: (0)

in general boxer is just the same as line engine or like V8 for example, only dificult is to take it out of the engine bay
of cuz if u previosly messed with engines rebuild
Wwwwwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
2slo4u
needs more cowbell

Fav Mod: Aebs sleeves & Holyheader
Trader Rating: (41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsantee77 View Post
I recently purchased an 08 impreza w/105k miles.(2.5 na, 5 speed) had no major issues and was aware of needing to do the timing belt. so i drove it the 150 miles back home and the to school one day( Tuesday). Yesterday was the last day for class so i was going to do the belt this weekend. Right up till i believe it jumped time on the left cam.

Driving highway speed(75 mph) no noises or check engine lights. all fluids at appropriate levels. Heading uphill it started to make a decent knock when letting off gas and getting back on it. then came power loss of rpm not moving and no speed increase. turned it off immediately and pulled over. Now has smoke from exhaust(fair amount of blue, so obviously oil) no loss of coolant. but a fair sounding knock.

Got it home and started opening it up, started with timing belt idlers and such. no excessive play in tensioner, or idlers ect. what i did find is the left side cam sprocket is out of time to the rest of the motor. appears to be 2/3 teeth guessing.(retarded). So Im assuming i have a belt valve in the left bank. explains smoke and knock in my head at least.

I've almost got the motor ready to be pulled now. So awaiting the results when I remove the heads. Im planning on just a full rebuild seems how Im almost that far anyway.(could still be dreaded rod knock) Looking for guidance on best parts to use. Will be daily driven over 200 miles a day. Mainly looking for opinions on pistons, what rods, valves, head gasket(Whats all this phase 1 and phase 2 block stuff). But would like opinions on everything. Never rebuild a boxer.

Thanks for all your help, will update when i open up the motor!

Use all oem gaskets and engine parts. Also use oem timing belt and tensioner, idler, etc.

It's not tough to get the engine out, and easy to get the radiator out for clearance. Just be sure to not let the engine hang on the transmission input shaft, and it will be easier to separate.