Differentials FAQ: Read if you are thinking of Upgrading! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Differentials FAQ: Read if you are thinking of Upgrading!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
fateo66
2.0L

Trader Rating: (4)
Arrow Differentials FAQ: Read if you are thinking of Upgrading!

I have came to the conclusion that the Subaru Knowledge base of differentials is a bit lacking and have decided to write a little something about them and include a Pictorial to help everyone out.

While I don't want to get into too many details on what makes each diff different, here is a nice link to what Dave Anton wrote on NASIOC:

Differential FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

Also here is a nice video explaining what a differential is:

I have compiled 13 different differentials for reference, which include all options for the US market and nearly all for the Japanese market as well. The only two factory options that I am missing are the 5mt front torsen that came in some late 90's RA V-limited STI's and the R180 AP Suretrac that came in the JDM Bugeye's.

To start out, here is a line up of the differentials available for a R160 rear.

And here is what a diff looks like when it breaks

Here is a version 1 viscous LSD. The unit in the center of the picture is not a mechanical unit; instead, it houses the viscous fluid and plates. This is the differential that requires two different style male axles. One side looks like a standard male rear axle and the other has two sets of splines as seen below. Please note the 4 spider gears.

Here you can see the inside of a version 2 viscous unit found in most wrx's. A version 2 VLSD is very similar in appearance to an open differential but if you look closely at the seat for the ring gear you will see that you can split the diff in half in order to have access to the viscous unit. Viscous LSD's typically are regarded as a bad unit. However, I do not feel this has to be the case. Yes a Viscous LSD is reactive in its approach to limit wheel spin because you have to have wheel spin in order to heat up the fluid inside the differential. At which time it will attempt slow down the faster moving wheel. Viscous LSDs make the car easier to drive on the street and or a situation where you have a long corner that you want to power through. The biggest down fall to the version 2 VLSD is the fact that it only has 2 spider gears and, as seen in the open diff, this becomes the first point of failure.

Here is a shot of the insides of a 2 way clutch LSD for an R160. Very similar to an aftermarket unit, this differential will lock up on both acceleration and deceleration. OEM R160 CLSDs use a bolt in axle stub and female style rear axles.

Last up for the R160 family is the AP suretrac. This is a sealed unit so I did not feel like destroying mine but here are a few pics of what the insides looks like. The Suretrac falls into the TBD (torque biasing differential) category, which means technically its not a limited slip unit. Instead, it transfers torque to the wheel that has more load. However, it requires some load on both wheels in order to transfer the torque, otherwise a TBD will act as an open diff.

Moving forward with the TBD family, here is a line up of three other torsen style differentials. Keep in mind that Torsen is a brand name standing for Torque Sensing and these differentials are not necessarily made by Torsen.

Next I have a line up of clutch style LSDs. The two OEM units are consider a 2 way LSD where as the Cusco has the ability to be changed from a 1 way to a 1.5 way. In addition to the pre-load that you can set on certain clutch LSDs, which makes them a proactive differential, the cusco can lock up only under acceleration (1 way) or under acceleration and partially under deceleration (1.5 way)

Lastly, here are a few other random pictures I took during all of this:

Last edited by James555; 09-18-2017 at 02:25 AM..
fateo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
nycscooby
2.5L

Car: 98 Red OBS
Fav Mod: UEL, HFC and custom exhau
Trader Rating: (7)

I cant believe that I sat here and read it all! Good info should be a Sticky!!!
nycscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
MOTO SCOOB RR
3.3L

Car: 98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
Trader Rating: (2)

I see an 818 in the background.... i think?
MOTO SCOOB RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
2 Door
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: A career
Trader Rating: (18)

This is a very important thread.
2 Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
SIMER
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Stroked CDB + EJ207 heads
Trader Rating: (25)

not the greatest picture - v5/6 STi Type R/RA - 5MT Front "Torsen". I always called it a helical LSD.

Last edited by SIMER; 02-05-2014 at 06:47 PM..
SIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
HOYS
2.5L

Fav Mod: WRX Swap
Trader Rating: (8)

Best. Thread. Ever.
HOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
BRZCory
'MURRICA!

Trader Rating: (12)

Was going to comment on some rear diff BS.

Then I saw an 818.

Then I saw a PUPPY!!!!

We all know what's more important here.

Though, as a sidenote, could someone else post what these diffs came out of? I'm quite happy with my 4.11 VLSD R160 out of a 2005 Legacy ($75 from Car-Part.com search for "Carrier"). But it's the "weak" (Version 2) one with only 2 spider gears.

For those of you wondering if you're looking at an OPEN R160 or a "weak"(Version 2) VLSD (wrx/legacy/etc) R160, I've got a handy tip in my post HERE

Though it boils down to these 2 pictures:

Round pin = NOT AN LSD.

Pin with flats = LSD

Other than that difference, I could find no external marks to differentiate the 2.

Another handy tip: If you're unsure of the gear ratio of a diff, mark the pinion, mark the axle, turn the pinion slowly, and count ONE turn of the axle. The pinion will either turn:

Just under 4 turns: 3.90
Just over 4 turns: 4.11
Way over 4 turns: 4.444

Last edited by BRZCory; 02-05-2014 at 06:19 PM..
BRZCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
aesthetect
the hard way

Fav Mod: jackstands+barn
Trader Rating: (5)

^ pretty sure the ratio is usually printed on the ring gear as well
aesthetect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
StrictlySubaru
2.7L

Trader Rating: (18)

The ratio isnt exactly printed on the gear. There is two sets numbers of two numbers on the side of the ring gear "xx:xx" Divide those together and it will give you the ratio "4.44"
StrictlySubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
karn101
2.2L

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateo66 View Post
Last up for the R160 family is the AP suretrac. This is a sealed unit so I did not feel like destroying mine but here are a few pics of what the insides looks like. The Suretrac falls into the TBD (torque biasing differential) category, which means technically its not a limited slip unit. Instead, it transfers torque to the wheel that has more load. However, it requires some load on both wheels in order to transfer the torque, otherwise a TBD will act as an open diff.

So the Suretrac wouldn't be of much help in low traction (snow) conditions? Otherwise, would you consider this like a 1/1.5/2 way?
karn101 is offline   Reply With Quote