4EAT Diff-Lock Switch and Handbrake Mod - "Torquemada Lite" - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
4EAT Diff-Lock Switch and Handbrake Mod - "Torquemada Lite"

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #31
defcon5
2.2L

Car: '99 OBS
Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreek0o View Post
Can we get a circuit diagram laid out for this?
Speedfreek0o: I'd love to do that , but trust me, you don't want my hand scribbled crap. Since I'm not an electronics guy by trade, I have no access to any kind of schematic layout program and I have yet to find an inexpensive (free) one.

If anyone has any leads on a good application for that, I'll gladly post the schematic. Until then, you'll have to wait until I hack one together in Photshop (graphics guy by trade)
defcon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #32
obsolete
2.2L

Car: Big Bad BH "Slow White"
Fav Mod: Exhaust, RSB
Trader Rating: (0)

This is what I use:

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm

I'm a computer engineering student and have created many schematics & board layouts using Eagle. If you don't have time for the learning curve, just send me your notes and I'll transcribe them for you.
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
defcon5
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
This is what I use:

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm

I'm a computer engineering student and have created many schematics & board layouts using Eagle. If you don't have time for the learning curve, just send me your notes and I'll transcribe them for you.
Nice find - that looks perfect, and it has a Mac version. I'll check it out, and see how the learning curve goes. If it's too much for me, I'll take you up on your offer.

Quick update: I just got back from the Sno*Drift Pro Rally in northern Michigan, and I have to say - the system works GREAT. We usually stay away from the official spectator areas, so we end up on some "seasonal" roads which basically means they never get plowed and you enter at your own risk. Maybe trucks will have beat things down and you'll be fine, maybe not. With about 3 feet of snow on the ground, this can be a risky undertaking.
Through two solid days and over 250 miles on snowy fire roads and two tracks, the car never let me down once. Even after a little driver error had us buried up to the driver's side axles - with a little pushing, she popped right out, and kept on going. This is quite possibly the most effective mod I've ever done - especially if you factor in the low cost.

Not to mention, it just makes the car flat-out fun to drive.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
2slo4u
needs more cowbell

Fav Mod: Aebs sleeves & Holyheader
Trader Rating: (41)

Very cool mod and nice of you to post it for us. Good job on the pics as well. One thing to add about resistor heat dissipation would be to put some heatsink paste between the resistors and sink.(unless you already did) Or use the resistors that have the sink made around them ($$$)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
The Korean
IG: @RHD_Adventures

Trader Rating: (48)

defcon,
Not sure if I've met you before, but you live in Detroit and I'm assuming you're on xceedspeed correct? I drive the white 05 RX-8 at the current moment, but because of finanical woes my dad is buying my car (the first day he saw it and drove was the day he told me he would be the first to buy it with out hesitation) and I'm going back to my paid off 96 Impreza L coupe with the wonderful, glorious auto tranny and hella cheap insurance. Why I'm telling you this I have no idea, but I do know you live here, I live here and well I suck at any sort of electronics esp hooking wires up (started a small engine fire wiring fogs a different way... different story for different time, lol). So a few questions to you:

1. Can I meet up with you once I get my Subie back (it's in Colorado at the moment) and give you money for parts + a 6 pack, haha?
2. How long did it take from start to finish to wire everything together?
3. Have you ever heard of the RX (ok dumb question)? Subaru made it from 86-89 and it had basically this exact mod done except they put it in with there manual. The RX had a 5 speed, high/low full time 4wd, and a center locking diff control for 50/50 torque split. Not sure if that helps what so ever.
4. If memory serves me right there was a guy on nasioc or clubwrx... I think nasioc, that was building manual DCCD controllers for the WRX owners that did the STi trans swap. Not sure if that would help any, but I can attempt to locate my conversations with him about it. Maybe it might work for controlling the torque split that you talked about doing later down the road.
5. As of right now the only "torque split / whatever you want to call it" mod I have on my 4EAT Impreza is a toggle switch for the "on the fly" FWD. Easy thing I know. How would this work though with your mod? Would I have to basically take it out/uninstall it? Or would I be able to still use it? I guess what I'm thinking is: normal 90/10, your mod AWD 50/50, and "my mod" FWD 100/0. What do you think? It could also be used as maybe a fail safe so you don't accidently hit the switch.
6. You would be able to use this on wet roads as well correct?
7. How well do you think this would work with the other trans mods you can do? Ie. auto trans cooler, torque converter, valve body (I think that's the other mod)?
8. Live anywhere near Mount Clemens? Every other Monday there is a group of Subie owners (past present, and future) that meet up at Madisons for dinner. We're the ESSO group on IWSTI. You should come up. I would be curious to see this in person.
8. Lastly, I've been wanting something like this for ages! Glad someone actually did it. Madd props to you mang! Thanx...

Jonny Walker

Last edited by The Korean; 02-14-2009 at 09:22 AM..
The Korean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #36
L8APX
3.3L

Car: 2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
Fav Mod: Torquemada Lite.
Trader Rating: (1)

Great DIY. I would love to buy a plug and play kit from you. I don't have the time to make the kit but putting it in seems to be a no brainer.

How's $40 sound?

Subscribed.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
defcon5
2.2L

Hey guys thanks for the interest.
2slo4u: I'm trying to track down some thermal paste, but my electronics retailers around here are decidedly....umm, lame. The resistors don't really get too hot, but the paste would add another layer of protection. Good call.

The Korean: you've got a PM heading your way. :-) Fair warning - I have expensive tastes in 6-packs....

L8APX - I can't take full-on orders right now since I'm not an official vendor, but what I'm doing right now is building "kits" for the cost of parts and shipping. This way I can get the word out, AND get a few field testers at the same time (clever monkey, no?)
The good news is that this usually only costs about $30 - $35 depending on where I get my parts. Anyone interested in this should be aware that this is NOT a commercially produced product - it is simply homebrew/DIY at it's finest. That's why it only costs 30 bucks. What you'll receive will require cutting and splicing one wire (2 splices) and finding a suitable ground. That's it! (well, you gotta mount the switch too, but that's up to you)

Mods - if this is getting too close to the limit of my Non-Vendor status - please let me know. I intend on keeping this on the "up and up", and for now, it doesn't look like I have enough interest to go to a full Vendor account. As soon as it looks feasible, I'll sign up ASAP.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
limited

Trader Rating: (0)

Thanks for the write up. But some of us are limited to doing our own work such as changing brakes or oil changes, we're not that electronically inclined to take on such project...so definitely set up a kit for us feeble minded trolls

And assuming this works across all makes with 4EAT before '02 right? I have a '98 Legacy. Thanks a bunch
limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #39
DunDunSkeert
3.3L

Fav Mod: 24mm adj. rsb
Trader Rating: (13)

Hurray it works!
This is where I mounted my switch.

DunDunSkeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #40
StartRestart
1.8L

Car: 1998 Impreza L
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon5 View Post
Speedfreek0o: I'd love to do that , but trust me, you don't want my hand scribbled crap. Since I'm not an electronics guy by trade, I have no access to any kind of schematic layout program and I have yet to find an inexpensive (free) one.

If anyone has any leads on a good application for that, I'll gladly post the schematic. Until then, you'll have to wait until I hack one together in Photshop (graphics guy by trade)
Updated Pic:

Last edited by StartRestart; 02-28-2009 at 12:56 PM..
StartRestart is offline   Reply With Quote