4EAT Diff-Lock Switch and Handbrake Mod - "Torquemada Lite" - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
4EAT Diff-Lock Switch and Handbrake Mod - "Torquemada Lite"

Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #91
subaruferrucci
3.3L

Car: 1998, subaru, impreza L black
Fav Mod: Evolution driving school
Trader Rating: (2)

when trying to wire in my SMT6 PP6 what ever you want to call it into my 98L. i found out that the 98's are often considered the bastard child of subaru because they did many things only to the 98s and changed it (98 ecu single plug and every other year 3 plug and wire colors where different in some cases) I cant speak for the TCM but wanted to give you a heads up and i cant look into it because i have a 5 speed
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #92
defcon5
2.2L

Car: '99 OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruferrucci View Post
i found out that the 98's are often considered the bastard child of subaru because they did many things only to the 98s and changed it
subaruferrucci speaks the truth - the 98s are odd ducks. One of the posters to this thread (limited I believe) has a 98 Legacy and it was eye opening how many differences there were in the TCM wiring. Since 99 was a changeover year, it's possible that late production 98's could have 99 TCMs in them. After many hours of poring over the wiring diagrams, we figured it out - well, he hasn't gotten back to me in a while so I'm assuming he's up & running.
Another point worth noting is that the Ls seem to play by different rules as well. Sometimes they have parts that don't match up with the rest of the models.

But, that's part of the fun of working on cars right?
defcon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #93
2.5gl
1.8L

Car: 98 Blue RS
Fav Mod: Swaybars & tires, so far
Trader Rating: (0)

I was thinking of a way to make an off road application for the 4eat in my EJ22 hatch conversion. Would a DPDT switch work to...

1. (on) turn on AWD all the time for 4WD,
2. (off) normal AWD,
3. (on) turn off AWD for full FWD?

This way I could have AWD for the output to reach the ground w/o tearing up front tires, then "lock" into 4WD when wheelin'. At this point it is one of many versions to solve the low-range quest in my hatch project (must be finished before I can paint and put new struts under my RS)

I'd be interested in the resistor pack you'd make as well.

TIA,
Lewis
2.5gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #94
defcon5
2.2L

Lewis - the quick answer is "yes - kind of". For more info, I'm pasting in a quote from my last update in post #99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon5 View Post
Might as well use this opportunity to give a quick update.....
In my "spare time" I've been working up a new version of the switch mod. It's not a full blown variable version, but instead a full-featured version of the switch. I'm calling it the "MkII" for now, and it adds the ability to run a FWD mode as well as including the handbrake interlock so that you can bust out some handbrake turns like your favorite WRC (or STI) driver......
.....I hope to have some ready by the fall (just in time for fun in the snow) Should be pretty cool - think 'printed circuit boards and real connectors'!
To summarize: the new mod has three drive modes - FWD/AWD/4WD, plus a handbrake interlock, and possibly some blinky lights..
Note that the new version became fairly complicated with the additional handbrake mod and provisions for the LED indicators. A much simpler version could easily be built with a DP3T (on-off-on), the resistor bank, and some basic wiring. Come to think of it, with the DP3T you'll need at least one relay to handle the TCM circuit, maybe more - I'd have to sketch it out.

If you need more info feel free to PM me.

One quick aside: This mod has no control over the front and rear diffs, just the center. Unless you've put some "real" diffs in there, be careful offroading. Those open diffs will get you stuck in the blink of an eye.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #95
critict1gc
auSTin

Car: 00 rsti
Fav Mod: v7 RA ej207
Trader Rating: (10)

I got my parts for mine today at radioshack and 3 hours later I had it all hooked up. this is a sweet mod espesaully for my first rally x race coming up it will be usefull
critict1gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #96
critict1gc
auSTin

Car: 00 rsti
Fav Mod: v7 RA ej207

on an auto trany is there a similar silanoid that conrols the differential. like on this we're locking the center diff so the power from back and front is the same what about side to side. is that electrical stuff that i can trick. i was going to look through the service manual myself to check this out but estimated time of download on it was 7 hours-stupid dial up
critict1gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #97
defcon5
2.2L

Nope - See post #94.
The front and rear diffs are purely mechanical. The only know solution to open diffs is little green pieces of paper (lots of 'em).
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #98
BAlexandrov
1.8L

Car: '98 Legacy Outback 2.5 AT
Fav Mod: Headlights
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon5 View Post
subaruferrucci speaks the truth - the 98s are odd ducks. One of the posters to this thread (limited I believe) has a 98 Legacy and it was eye opening how many differences there were in the TCM wiring.
Greetings, Guys!

I have European Legacy Outback 98 2.5 AT and... about 1-2 hours I cannot even find the TCM
It must be mounted right near the brake but... I have only bolts there.
Does someone have a clue? I have searched in left near fuses and in central console... found SRS and Cruise Control ECUs but TCM just hides from me
Everything else is working as it must be but...

BAlexandrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #99
dSpec
3.3L

Fav Mod: Borla UEL Single Ports

I have a quick question. If you remember, I had problems with the setup a while back that I still have not fixed yet. The problem was that everything was hooked up correctly, but when the switch was "ON", it would pop a AT OIL TEMP light on the cluster. It would not turn off even if I flipped the switch back to the "OFF" position. The only way to turn it off was to turn the car off and turn it back on.

Today, I thought of something that might have caused this problem.

The "ON" position for the switch was actually off, and vice versa. For example, I have a dot on my simple switch, which commonly denotes that when the switch is flipped towards the direction of the dot, it meant on. It is the opposite for me. Would this cause the problem I'm having? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #100
defcon5
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAlexandrov View Post
Greetings, Guys!

I have European Legacy Outback 98 2.5 AT and... about 1-2 hours I cannot even find the TCM
It must be mounted right near the brake but... I have only bolts there.
Does someone have a clue? I have searched in left near fuses and in central console... found SRS and Cruise Control ECUs but TCM just hides from me
Everything else is working as it must be but...
You're in luck - I got laid off a few weeks ago, so I've got plenty of time to do some research. Give me a day or two and I'll take a look at your pictures and the manuals to see where your TCM is. In the meantime, one place to look is on the firewall behind the brake assembly - that was a common location on the earlier (pre 99) cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSpec View Post
I have a quick question. If you remember, I had problems with the setup a while back that I still have not fixed yet. The problem was that everything was hooked up correctly, but when the switch was "ON", it would pop a AT OIL TEMP light on the cluster. It would not turn off even if I flipped the switch back to the "OFF" position. The only way to turn it off was to turn the car off and turn it back on.

Today, I thought of something that might have caused this problem.

The "ON" position for the switch was actually off, and vice versa. For example, I have a dot on my simple switch, which commonly denotes that when the switch is flipped towards the direction of the dot, it meant on. It is the opposite for me. Would this cause the problem I'm having? Thanks!
Yes - that could cause the behavior, but from your description what's more likely is that you've either got the COM terminal mixed up with one of your "output" pins, your circuit to the resistor bank is incomplete, or your resistor bank is of the wrong impedance. The only way your going to trip the AT light is when the TCM completely loses communication with the solenoid. You'll probably need a multimeter to do any further troubleshooting. Can you post, or PM some pictures and additional info?