Rebuild | Replace | Center Diff - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Rebuild | Replace | Center Diff

Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhawks View Post
Your current trans is a pull clutch right? if so the flywheel clutch etc will work with a 6spd. If youve been having problems with 5spds breaking and are tired of it then 6 spd is your best bet. Is your current rear diff a viscous or is it one of the other mechanical units offered?
That's just it - I'm not breaking transmissions. I bought a shell in 2010 with an auto, swapped in a 4.11 in 2011, and then swapped in a 4.44 in 2015 from a clip I cannibalized. It's the 4.44's front and/or center diff that are dying, likely from the last owner in Japan doing stupid shit (motor had a shot rod bearing, too).

I think you're right in that I can use my streetlight and ACT HD clutch/flywheel pack - those are in great condition. I think there's still an issue with running a specific starter for it to all work correctly, but that's not a huge deal.

Biggest thing for me is I want this to be "the dopest" in a way. I've done everything else - bushings, suspension, motor, everything - and I want this to be the last time I pull the transmission for anything other than maintenance. The 6 speed fits this bill, but it's also boring.

Rear is a Suretrac which works great, no problems there.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 02-06-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW
Trader Rating: (0)

Sorry i cant comment on how to do things in a "dope" way. But ive done a few six speed swaps. You dont need a special starter to run the 5spd pull clutch on a 6spd trans. Normal starter wil work, my car was like this for a while. The suretrac is a decent diff, so i would try and keep that, having a shop regear your r160 shouldnt cost very much. Go to the junkyard and grab the matching rear diff ratio, 3.54 or 3.90 depending on what year 6spd you get. Grab an auto impreza driveshaft while youre there, and yank the stubs out of an auto trans. Should be able to get a 6spd transmission without rear r180 diff etc for around $2600. The total swap shouldnt cost much more than $3000 once you account for all the extra parts and couple hundred bucks labor swapping the ring and pinion.
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Razor7
3.3L

Dope in this sense being:

- $3k in a 6 speed (yawn)
- $3k in a 35:65 center diff and 1.5 way front diff (sweet)

Even if I go with a 6 speed, I'll still be keen to replace the front and center diff, it's just going to cost a lot more.

-TC
Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
Dope in this sense being:

- $3k in a 6 speed (yawn)
- $3k in a 35:65 center diff and 1.5 way front diff (sweet)

Even if I go with a 6 speed, I'll still be keen to replace the front and center diff, it's just going to cost a lot more.

-TC
Why not just get a DCCD 6 speed with a mechanical front diff?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
kay95
Premium Member

Car: 95 L, 96 OUTBACK
Fav Mod: p1 SUSPENSION
Trader Rating: (2)

I wouldnt bother taking a diff to a shop. If they are not familiar with doing they will probably hand you back the parts saying it wont fit.

Grind the numbs off the one side and swap carriers. I have done two now and the back lash was perfect. Others have had the same results. FYI the ring is NOT pressed on just bolted. So if you have done all the bushing then you can swap the carrier.

Keep an eye on ebay. I got a motor with my 6spd. The motor was twin turbo but it had a 207 bottom end and cams which I didnt know until I started it. I paid 2700 delivered for this so it was a steal. Not to mention the LW flywheel and exedy hyper.
kay95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Do your research on that cusco tarmac gear, its an open diff.

So if your idea of cool is having a diff thats essentially useless anywhere except a perfect track, then go ahead.

Or, you could go dccd six speed with the 35:65 (same as the cusco tarmac) when its open. But then have the benefit a the dccd limited slip clutch pack addded on top of that.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
Why not just get a DCCD 6 speed with a mechanical front diff?
This is looking like the correct answer. 5-speeds are stupid rare nowadays, and I don't want to wait months for just a diff to pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay95 View Post
I wouldnt bother taking a diff to a shop. If they are not familiar with doing they will probably hand you back the parts saying it wont fit.

Grind the numbs off the one side and swap carriers. I have done two now and the back lash was perfect. Others have had the same results. FYI the ring is NOT pressed on just bolted. So if you have done all the bushing then you can swap the carrier.

Keep an eye on ebay. I got a motor with my 6spd. The motor was twin turbo but it had a 207 bottom end and cams which I didnt know until I started it. I paid 2700 delivered for this so it was a steal. Not to mention the LW flywheel and exedy hyper.
I'll look into swapping the FD ratio on diffs. I'm sure I can do it with enough research.

I don't need a motor - I've got an EJ207 V6 that I CA Bar'd. I'd love a twin scroll, but I can just swap over the required components for that. Interesting that there was a twin turbo, EJ207/8, with that kinda stuff loaded on it, for that price. Seems you found a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhawks View Post
Do your research on that cusco tarmac gear, its an open diff.

So if your idea of cool is having a diff thats essentially useless anywhere except a perfect track, then go ahead.

Or, you could go dccd six speed with the 35:65 (same as the cusco tarmac) when its open. But then have the benefit a the dccd limited slip clutch pack addded on top of that.
That's the thing - there is little information out there on the cusco center, hence this post in the first place. I can't even track one down to buy anymore, at least not through the normal channels I search.

I did see it's open, so yes I agree that it probably isn't best in all scenarios. Hence, now I'm back to 6 speed with your comments on how to swap it in without hacking apart my knuckles/struts/driveline.

I've read so many bullshit posts about it introducing understeer but no other comments on what their suspension setup is, and whether they've even driven a RWD car. That's why I wanted real-world feedback from someone I can ask questions of, not some post from a decade ago. You can dial out understeer if you know what you're doing, my guess is most people don't.

-TC
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post

I've read so many bullshit posts about it introducing understeer but no other comments on what their suspension setup is, and whether they've even driven a RWD car. That's why I wanted real-world feedback from someone I can ask questions of, not some post from a decade ago. You can dial out understeer if you know what you're doing, my guess is most people don't.

-TC
Most understeer problems are caused by improper driving of a 4wd/awd vehicle. An aftermarket DCCD controller like MAPDCCD can allow you to tailor the center differential to your driving style and make a world of difference.