Differentials FAQ: Read if you are thinking of Upgrading! - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Differentials FAQ: Read if you are thinking of Upgrading!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #31
sgc2cic
3.3L

Trader Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
Ask yourself this: How much is an LSD worth to you?

To me, personally, I wouldn't spend that money. Simply because my (rs style) VLSD works okay for what I use it for (hooning in the snow). If I was an avid autocrosser or road racer looking for that additional edge, or if I just liked having rare parts, it would certainly be worth that much. It's very rare, very good, and therefore very expensive.

But I'm a cheapskate, and my VLSD cost $75 from a junkyard.

So really, it's up to you. Is it worth $300? Absolutely, to the right buyer.

P.S., it's got axles in it in the picture, so talk to the seller about getting them with it as a package deal.
the axels in it are sawed in half lol.

Currently i have a 99 so its an open diff.

sgc2cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
BRZCory
'MURRICA!

Trader Rating: (12)

That's okay though!

You can take those axles apart, take your stockers apart, and then put the fancy end on your stockers. Sure it's an extra step, but it only takes 20 minutes or so (although, you'll get VERY dirty/greasy because of the axle grease inside the boot).
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
rob
2.5L

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc2cic View Post
Hmm. They are asking around $300. I'm reading on other threads that they require special axles as well as the USDM RS axels won't won't? Any truth to this?
They may require the special asymmetrical axles. It depends on which year.

Quote:

The RS LSD is the weakest option of all the possible LSD's. If you read the OP you'd know why. SureTrac is the very good, and very expensive option. The only better option (IMO) would be older clutch-type, but they're rare because they were an option (not standard equipment)
Both clutch and suretrac were stock on certain JDM models. You can still buy them new through places like import part suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc2cic View Post
the axels in it are sawed in half lol.

Currently i have a 99 so its an open diff.

I would ask the seller to take a picture of the ratio stamp on the ring gear. The factory surtrac LSDs were 4.44 not 4.1 (I THINK!) as marked on the case. I am looking for one of these diffs. I will PM you and maybe we can help each other out?

Also, lets move the conversation to a new thread as to not pollute this one any more.

-Rob
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #34
Hydrochloric
2.2L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS/C BRP
Fav Mod: M62 Boostin'!
Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Ask yourself this: How much is an LSD worth to you?

To me, personally, I wouldn't spend that money. Simply because my (rs style) VLSD works okay for what I use it for (hooning in the snow). If I was an avid autocrosser or road racer looking for that additional edge, or if I just liked having rare parts, it would certainly be worth that much. It's very rare, very good, and therefore very expensive.

But I'm a cheapskate, and my VLSD cost $75 from a junkyard.

So really, it's up to you. Is it worth $300? Absolutely, to the right buyer.
Realistically, a road racer isn't going to use a semi-rare OEM diff. They're going to get a Cusco/Quaife/etc 2-way. More money, but rebuildable with easily acquired parts, etc.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #35
belalegosi
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

Signed up just to comment how awesome this thread is.
belalegosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #36
94gtstang50
2.7L

Fav Mod: VF39, that spool sound...
Trader Rating: (5)

This is amazing
94gtstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #37
Gancherov
1.8L

I literally wasted half of last year searching for some decently organised and informed commentary regarding the OEM diff options and there is nothing as useful as this collection of photos anywhere else on a subaru forum. Thank you.

For what it's worth, i've got a 95 wrx/sti trans and rear end with the v1 VLSD (i think) and the asymmetrical axles. I had a lot of problems with the axles, particularly that the short side kept popping out of the differential!

Last edited by Gancherov; 04-16-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Gancherov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #38
mrgud
2.2L

Fav Mod: full tank of gas

These are all rear diffs, right?

What front lsd dif would fit a gc8 2,0 turbo (gt)?
is it maybe better to buy a complete gearbox of some model?

Did anyone do this?
mrgud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #39
vascorama
1.8L

I have an issue here, looked for help but so far got close to 0...
Iīll try to briefly explain my situation.

I have a mt5 bugeye wrx turbo(not sti), and i believe i have an open diff on the back because:
- mine behaves like car number one of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRREY9uw8E when i guess it should behave like car number 2 of the same video.
- If i put the car on stands, i spin 1 rear wheel, and the opposite wheel spins the other way
- If i launch with 2 wheels(front and rear) on tarmac and 2 on gravel, only the wheels on gravel spin.

So iīve come to the point of thinking i really have an open diff. I dunno if it came like that from factory or if it was the previous owner that fitted it like that.

Now i have the car on a shop where they have loads of stuff, and the mechanic told me the pre-98 gt classics had some kind of diff lock on the rear, and that he has some of those diffs in stock.

The problem is that he canīt explain me too well because he is more of a "letīs go guy", and not very "technical terms guy". Internet info is scarse on this...and the shop is too far away for me to fit something, regret and get back there...

I really want a rear diff lock of any kind will be better than open as it is, but another question is, what happens if the ratio is different? Will it damage the center diff?

I need you help m8īs
Thank you
vascorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #40
Stasello
1.8L

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS

Nice post. Guys which diff oil is best to use for 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS? Motul, Amsoil, RP, RL?
Stasello is offline   Reply With Quote