Rwd 4eat - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Rwd 4eat

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Hydrochloric
2.2L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS/C BRP
Fav Mod: M62 Boostin'!
Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
But I'm thinking doing that would make the TCU freak out. front wheels "slipping" and the rears not. Even with it locked, giving it the beans from a stop and having the tires spin through all of 1st gear, it wouldn't upshift until I let off the throttle.

I didn't do anything fancy, and there definitely doesn't feel like any power loss. But it completely transformed the handling characteristics of the car, and going from AWD to RWD in ~25 minutes gave me a good back to back comparison. I definitely prefer the car RWD.
I preferred the L in the video above in RWD when I drove it as well, I drove it both ways (albeit after a manual swap). Even with a welded diff it was simply far more responsive, and with the VF11 at 10PSI on it anything under 3rd was pretty much instantly sideways...

And FWIW, he drove that car with it set to 50/50 lock in RWD for quite a long time... But he did say he suspected the center clutch pack welded itself solid, and it never went back to AWD with the 4EAT.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrochloric View Post
I preferred the L in the video above in RWD when I drove it as well, I drove it both ways (albeit after a manual swap). Even with a welded diff it was simply far more responsive, and with the VF11 at 10PSI on it anything under 3rd was pretty much instantly sideways...

And FWIW, he drove that car with it set to 50/50 lock in RWD for quite a long time... But he did say he suspected the center clutch pack welded itself solid, and it never went back to AWD with the 4EAT.
Way more responsive in the corners, that's for sure. Off throttle over steer, and being able to steer the car with the rear wheels is the way to go!

I can't imagine THAT happening, as the center clutch is a hydraulic unit. I think I may have damaged mine when doing the 50/50 mod because I had hooked up wrong. Basically my Duty C solenoid makes a constant clicking sound when in gear. And that's why I was getting some slippage and in the video above that isn't apparent.

Put my front axle back in last night, so no more RWD. It was fun while it lasted and now I really want to make it permanently rear drive.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Hydrochloric
2.2L Turbo

Don't ask me, when we 5MT swapped it, we just chucked the auto tranny and called it a day!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

its can be done, just gotta dig out and weld together the center diff. But the 4eat's a front wheel biased, switched to rwd only I think would quickly break the clutch plate cup that sends power to the rear wheels.

here's a thread I did on my old legacy when I broke said clutch cup.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...nsmission.html

Last edited by TerryJr; 02-04-2014 at 04:17 PM..
TerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
vishal25pm
1.8L

Car: 97 cuope
Fav Mod: breaks!
Trader Rating: (1)

so sorry to bump up an old thread, but if keeping the car in rwd and using the torquemada mod for the center diff lock, would this burn up the duty c solenoid? eventually maybe?
vishal25pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Hydrochloric
2.2L Turbo

It didn't on the old L, but not guarantees. It's obviously not designed for 100% duty cycle.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
leethax26
2.5L

Fav Mod: Mad suspension drops, yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal25pm View Post
so sorry to bump up an old thread, but if keeping the car in rwd and using the torquemada mod for the center diff lock, would this burn up the duty c solenoid? eventually maybe?
No, but the clutch packs that the transmission uses for lockup probably would just be basically welded together after more than like a day doing ONLY RWD, especially when driven hard.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #18
primemover
1.8L

Silverton,
How long did you manage to drive your Subie around RWD?

I've got a 98 Forester with a 4EAT, 6 hrs from home and the front diff seems set to disintegrate... contemplating pulling the front axles and flipping my diff lock switch to try to limp it home next week.
primemover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #19
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

I know I said I preferred the car RWD but it came to the point that all the car wanted to do was be sideways when going around a corner so I ran it for at least a few weeks. With the turbo I definitely had to keep the car 4wd. Your front diff is still going to spin as it's physically connected to the transmission even when you take a front axle out, but likely worth a try.