Learning to Choose your Gear Sets/Ratios - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Learning to Choose your Gear Sets/Ratios

Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #31
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (2)

3.636 / 2.235 / 1.521 / 1.137 / 0.891 / 0.707 / 3.900FD
High Speed gears, Legacy Spec B

3.636 / 2.375 / 1.761 / 1.346 / 1.061 / 0.842 / 3.900FD
JDM 6spd ratios

USDM '04 STi 6spd
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

3.636 / 2.375 / 1.761 / 1.346 / 1.061 / 0.842 / 3.900FD
JDM 6spd ratios on big turbo
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #33
Jagular 1785
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Built engine
Trader Rating: (9)

Well heck I didn't know you had this thread on here too! Guess I'll ask again, I'm on here more often. Any gearset options for the N/A 97 OBS 5 speeds? I really don't want to do a lot of modifying for a six speed if I can use my own transmission with better gears. Would make the clutch situation a lot easier too.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #34
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular 1785 View Post
Well heck I didn't know you had this thread on here too! Guess I'll ask again, I'm on here more often. Any gearset options for the N/A 97 OBS 5 speeds? I really don't want to do a lot of modifying for a six speed if I can use my own transmission with better gears. Would make the clutch situation a lot easier too.
awww.... it's not that bad. I did the 6spd swap into my wagon. That included clutch/FW, tranny, shift linkage, driveshaft, front/rear axles, R180, front spindles/rear knuckles, and Brembo brakes. I kept my Impreza L front control arms, rear lateral/trailing arms, and rear subframe. Swapped out the studs on the rear diff to my R160 ones; longer. No axle binding or anything. Now if you run older front spindles, it will not be machined for the ABS ring on the axle so you try to put on a newer front axle '00+ and the ring will be crushed on the spindle when you tighten the axle nut.

You can have gearsets like the regular Ver3-6 WRX/STi gears installed. These have spacing just like your '97 1-4 but a tad shorter 5th gear so you don't have the longer spacing you currently have. The ratios are longer though so more speed, less peppy. The Ver3-6 RA gears has a tad longer 1st gear, but the rest are shorter ratios. This of this has a slightly longer first gear from your factory first, but then closer spacing and you roll through the rest of the gears. You'll notice spacing is shorter 1-4 but then a tad longer drop going into 5th gear, which is just like your OEM gearbox.

I'm sure Rallispec can help with gear installation or any experienced Shop that works with Subaru transmissions.

p.s. I broke 3 5spd NA trannies and didn't want to have to worry about that every time I go out to have fun so I settled on a JDM DCCD 6spd, which was the choice if not built RA gears with 4.444FD.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #35
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

As reference for gearing. Look at the bottom of each pic... notice the model year. First pic is for 1996, second pic if for 1999.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

JUST IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, what made AutoX so awesome with my car was the 6spd had short ratios. In the lower speed turns I didn't have to worry much about the RPM's being too lower. I'd jump back into the power quickly and then BOOST!!!

Here's an outside vid. started 1st gear then into 2nd gear. Stayed 2nd gear all the way til the front stretch where you can hear me double-down rev match into 1st gear before the LEFT hairpin, then WOT and shift into 2nd gear. The setup was on the TD06SL2 20G 8cm, EWG, E85 25psi tune. Powerband is 4000-7000rpms.

However I don't like autoX much because it's too slow and the seat time is no good. You'll learn a lot more on car control at a LAPPING day than a whole day at the autoX course.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #37
Jagular 1785
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Built engine
Trader Rating: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
awww.... it's not that bad. I did the 6spd swap into my wagon. That included clutch/FW, tranny, shift linkage, driveshaft, front/rear axles, R180, front spindles/rear knuckles, and Brembo brakes. I kept my Impreza L front control arms, rear lateral/trailing arms, and rear subframe. Swapped out the studs on the rear diff to my R160 ones; longer. No axle binding or anything. Now if you run older front spindles, it will not be machined for the ABS ring on the axle so you try to put on a newer front axle '00+ and the ring will be crushed on the spindle when you tighten the axle nut.

You can have gearsets like the regular Ver3-6 WRX/STi gears installed. These have spacing just like your '97 1-4 but a tad shorter 5th gear so you don't have the longer spacing you currently have. The ratios are longer though so more speed, less peppy. The Ver3-6 RA gears has a tad longer 1st gear, but the rest are shorter ratios. This of this has a slightly longer first gear from your factory first, but then closer spacing and you roll through the rest of the gears. You'll notice spacing is shorter 1-4 but then a tad longer drop going into 5th gear, which is just like your OEM gearbox.

I'm sure Rallispec can help with gear installation or any experienced Shop that works with Subaru transmissions.

p.s. I broke 3 5spd NA trannies and didn't want to have to worry about that every time I go out to have fun so I settled on a JDM DCCD 6spd, which was the choice if not built RA gears with 4.444FD.
The biggest thing I don't like is shelling out 4k for the whole 6 speed swap.

I have also heard of using guys putting RA gears in. I really would like the 1-4 gears to be somewhat peppy and just 5th being a tall overdrive gear for the highway. If I can make a 5 speed gearset that accomplishes that and will hold up to 300ish hp and will end up costing less than the 6 speed swap, that's what I want to do.

LSD diffs would be very nice to have since I'm open diff right now. I figure if I do a gearset swap, I can have a LSD diff put in the front. Then swap in a rear diff with LSD. If I went 6 speed, obviously that would cover it as well.

BTW thanks for the spec sheets.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
aesthetect
the hard way

Fav Mod: jackstands+barn
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
what about V2 RA gears? i have one available and need a new transmission for my daily driver, want DCCD but am fearful of the super short gearing, what are they at in 5th on the highway? how difficult would it be to swap the front diff with my stock RS 4.11 for slightly longer gearing? im weary of that option though as not sure what all in there is damaged

also contempleting picking up the whole V2 trans, replacing mine with an identical forester one or something but using the dccd/transfer gears... anybody interested in a V2 RA gearbox??
aesthetect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #39
quezisme
2.7L

Car: 00 Subaru Impreza RS
Fav Mod: Knock off Gonzflow

Hey all. My buddy just picked up a JDM 6 speed with a 3.90 front, 1.0:1 center and needs a rear diff. Could he use any diff from a car with a 3.90? If not, what would he need for a match? He said it needs to be in r160 form? can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
quezisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #40
Storm
Super Moderator

Fav Mod: DCCD, baby!
Trader Rating: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quezisme View Post
Hey all. My buddy just picked up a JDM 6 speed with a 3.90 front, 1.0:1 center and needs a rear diff. Could he use any diff from a car with a 3.90? If not, what would he need for a match? He said it needs to be in r160 form? can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
Yes, it can be from any 3.90 equipped Subie. Look at the tranny gear ratio chart earlier in the thread.

He may have to switch the input flange on the diff, to mate with the driveshaft he ends up using, or it can be redrilled to mate.