Any experience with Delicious Tuning Spork OBD2 programmer? - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Any experience with Delicious Tuning Spork OBD2 programmer?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
TopElement
2.0L

Car: All AWD, some turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
Default Any experience with Delicious Tuning Spork OBD2 programmer?

Looking around several forums, and not finding anyone running the new "Spork" from Delicious Tuning.
Not sure how long it has been available, but I only found out about it when I went to purchase a reflash for my naturally aspirated '99 coupe track car and saw that they had come out with this new piece.
Looks great, and the concept seems to be very similar to the Accessport. I'm surprised, but glad, that a company is still developing parts for this old platform.

Any reviews on functionality, datalogging, or issues with connecting via Bluetooth, since it doesn't have a cable?
I would guess the tunes are the same as were being used to reflash.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo
Trader Rating: (0)

Spork?? It's a bit late for april fools... I don't know how I'd feel about flashing the ecm over bluetooth, I wouldn't touch it.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverton View Post
Spork?? It's a bit late for april fools... I don't know how I'd feel about flashing the ecm over bluetooth, I wouldn't touch it.
Wait, what?

How would you do it?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Wireless updates, especially for something so important... I don't know. I'd much rather have a physical cable so I don't have to worry as much about mother nature hosing my ECM. Current ECM updates take 3-5 minutes with a cable, I know these older ECU's aren't as fancy and likely don't have as large of ROMs but data rates over bluetooth are abysmal.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
TopElement
2.0L

Car: All AWD, some turbo
Trader Rating: (1)

Agree with you guys about the Bluetooth connection. That's one of my main concerns, and I'm used to my Accessport on the STI using a cable.
A little surprised that nobody is posting with user experience, although it does seem to be a new product. Figured that these forums would be the most likely place to find people still tuning this older platform.
The datalogging feature is something I find very interesting, as it would be good to see logs before and after a tune.

May need to call Delicious Tuning again for more info. I had initially called them for a reflash, but they are no longer accepting ECU's shipped to them and they told me about this product.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

I'll weigh in on this just to dispel rumors:

Bluetooth flashing will not be any less reliable than a cable. You pair the device like you plug in a cable. The pair can't really be yoinked away unless someone is actively jamming your radio signal (which is federally illegal, and would need to be in very close proximity to work). There are buffers, so it won't immediately die if you lose connection for a few seconds, unlike a cable where once it's yoinked, you're toast. It's just serial data. The only downside I could see would be the potential security risk with a wireless flashing system because someone could connect and have a field day, although the proximity is close, and there isn't really any point to do so, so the risk is still low.

16bit ECUs run on 4800 baud, which his 4.8 kHz (flash mode may be faster, but I doubt it) for their serial interface. Bluetooth devices run in the 2.4GHz range, do some math to get data bit rates aaaand.. yeah. You're limited by your ECU serial data rate by a factor of A LOT so it won't be any slower.

Anyways. Yeah. Looks solid.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
johnxx
2.5L

Car: '96 OBS
Fav Mod: EJ204!
Trader Rating: (2)

If I was Delicious and I didn't want to brick people's ECUs, the way I'd do it is have the laptop/phone whatever send the *whole* file over to the 'Spork', possibly with a checksum to make sure no bits got flipped during transfer. The Spork could then cache it in like ... 4MB of flash (or RAM or whatever) and once everything looks good start flashing the car's ECU. I guess the other thing is that, it's actually just flashing the *tables* right, not the actual bootloader I assume. Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm going to assume they did some basic research on safety before just throwing this on sale. I could be proven wrong of course.
johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
poormansporsche
Premium Member

Car: RSTI
Fav Mod: Launch control
Trader Rating: (5)

The bits aren't really going to get flipped during a transfer. That's not really how it works.

This should be as safe as any ECU flashing out there. Cable or wireless shouldn't be a factor.

Skywalker also knows what he's doing. Maybe he'll chime in here.

cheers

poorman
poormansporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
DougM
2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopElement View Post
Looking around several forums, and not finding anyone running the new "Spork" from Delicious Tuning.
Not sure how long it has been available, but I only found out about it when I went to purchase a reflash for my naturally aspirated '99 coupe track car and saw that they had come out with this new piece.
Looks great, and the concept seems to be very similar to the Accessport. I'm surprised, but glad, that a company is still developing parts for this old platform.

Any reviews on functionality, datalogging, or issues with connecting via Bluetooth, since it doesn't have a cable?
I would guess the tunes are the same as were being used to reflash.

I just discovered this similarly as well, plan on giving them a call this week!
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote