The $300 Stand-alone - How to Microsquirt your Subaru - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
The 0 Stand-alone - How to Microsquirt your Subaru

Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Jvh22a
1.8L

Car: 1996
Trader Rating: (0)

i already knew this but you made me realize i should just have iwire merge my harness and get an stand alone ecu later. just to much to try and understand for my simple mind.

its like someone else said that its so cheap you just want to get it. yet so cheap that you might not even finish the project. for me i think i would just end up spending the money on the microsquirt then cant get it running and spend more money for a merge and oem ecu.

thanks for taking the time to put all this info together.
Jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
[RUMBLE]
1.8L

So I've got a microsquirt in the mail and I jumped the gun and grabbed a 36-2-2-2 wheel, do I also need the sti's (what I assume is a) 3 wire sensor? After getting mixed results of if an sti's sensor is or isn't 3 wire I figured I ask here if I can just use my stock crank sensor. Thanks!

Last edited by [RUMBLE]; 03-13-2018 at 05:13 AM..
[RUMBLE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RUMBLE] View Post
So I've got a microsquirt in the mail and I jumped the gun and grabbed a 36-2-2-2 wheel, do I also need the sti's (what I assume is a) 3 wire sensor? After getting mixed results of if an sti's sensor is or isn't 3 wire I figured I ask here if I can just use my stock crank sensor. Thanks!
Hey, sorry I never saw this...I hope you already have an answer, but I'll comment anyway.

No, you don't need a 3 wire sensor. The stock sensor works fine.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
Oolie
2.2L Turbo

Car: Miatamiatamiata
Fav Mod: Miata
Trader Rating: (3)

Thank you very much for this writeup.

Sorry about the batch injection.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #15
Stew3223
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Thank you very much for this writeup.

Sorry about the batch injection.
It's not so bad. I should write a follow up to the original post. I've made a lot of progress on the calibration side of things. It's actually pretty darn good now.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Oolie
2.2L Turbo

Car: Miatamiatamiata
Fav Mod: Miata
Trader Rating: (3)

Well, lets have it.
I have a MS2 now and want to get our spitfire running with an FE3+Millenia twinscrew.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Stew3223
Premium Member

Default Getting More out of Microsquirt

Okay, so over the last many months with the Micro I've found some ways to improve a number of calibrations that make the car better / easier / nicer to drive every day.

Improving VE table resolution

The numbers in the VE table are sort of arbitrary. If everything was setup correctly, it could be that a value of 100 actually represented 100% volumetric efficiency. In the MS code, the fuel delivered at the injectors is equal to "Required Fuel" * VE Table Value * Enrichment corrections. Required fuel is an injector constant that is supposed to be equal to the pulsewidth at 100% VE, however it can be used as a global factor to scale the VE table up and down. After my first round of tuning, I found that the max value in my VE table was ~88. That's a pretty small value for 1.4 bar of boost at ~7K RPM, so I wanted to re-scale the table for a couple of reasons:

1.) The VE table has a minimum increment/decrement value of 1. At idle, a change in 1 VE represented too big of a change and I found that area of the map to be a bit coarse.
2.) The VE table has a maximum allowable value of 255, so with a max value in my calibration at ~90, I wasn't even using half the possible range of the parameter.

Re-scaling is easy by reducing the Req Fuel value. By reducing the "base" pulse-width value, we need to increase the VE value to deliver an equal amount of fuel. So, I chose a Req fuel value of 3 since this would put the maximum value in my table at ~200. The New VE Table value is = Old VE Table value x 200 / Largest Old VE Table Value. My table went from:
Old Table

New Table

So now, for example, at 1000RPM / 35 kPa (idle region) I went from a value of 53 to a value of 119. So now, if I increment this value by 1, its a ~1% change rather than a ~2% change so finer changes can be made to the VE table. Yay!

Increasing VE Table Resolution with Table Switching

The maximum fuel table size is 16x16, however by utilizing the table switching feature in MS, we can essentially double the size to 16x32. It can all be done in software by using MAP pressure as the trigger. This is how I have it setup:

So, essentially at 100kPa MAP, switch to the second VE table. So table 1 will be everything below 100kPa, and table 2 will be everything above 100kPa. I set it up so that the tables overlap, so the top row of the first table are identical as the bottom row of the second table. I did a bunch of tuning and logging and table smoothing and I also used the opportunity to re-scale the axis and came up with the following:

So now, I have more cells available at each operating point. I found overall, This improved all of the part load areas - I have more stable AFR's at almost all out-of-boost driving conditions.

Improved Closed Loop Fueling PID Settings

Updated the EGO control settings. I think it's improved. Not much else to comment here...I'm closing on idle region now also, so this helps with being too rich at idle.

Reducing Number of Squirts

I went back from 4 "squirts" per cycle to 2. This improved idle and low load cruising regions. Essentially, with 4 squirts, the required fuel mass at any operating point is divided into 4 injections. At low load, this value might get small enough that it starts bumping up against the smallest possible opening time of the injector. So, it may be requesting an open time that the injector can't perform which means it may miss an injection and cause a lean misfire condition. Dividing the fuel mass into 2 squirts means the min injector PW is twice as large as with 4 squirts, so there's more margin before getting close to the minimum open time. Changing this value will automatically adjust the Req Fuel value.

Idle Advance and Idle Target

I struggled for a while to get the idle great. What would happen is I'd get it tuned in perfectly at one condition - fully warmed up normal conditions. However, i'd then get wonky idle after a cold start, or after a hot-restart, or during the warm-up period. Sooo I sought a way to improve it. Two major changes...
1.) Utilizing Idle Advance
2.) Increasing closed-loop idle initial values

Idle advance uses a separate ignition value under closed loop idle. As soon as the ECU recognizes and switches into closed loop idle, it changes to this idle advance value. This allowed me to use a more retarded ignition value only under idle which helped stabilize a hunting idle.

I also increased the initial IAC PWM values so that the value is a bit higher than actual stabilized value. This helped prevent the engine from stalling when clutching in and or coming to a stop. This makes the RPM "hang" a little bit when entering idle, but it almost never stalls.

Air Conditioning

I figured out and setup air-conditioning control and idle up. Details can be found in my wagon journal HERE, HERE and HERE.

That's all for now! Hope this helps some people.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #18
crjohnson
2.0L

Awesome post, I'm having some similar issues tuning my ej251 with the project lambda software. When my engine is cold it hunts around a lot, stalls after starting and pushing the clutch in when coming to a stop like you mentioned. When its warm its not too bad but will still sometimes drop very low in the revs when coming to a stop.
My closed throttle idle timing is 11deg when warm with an extra 2deg below 50degC coolant temps (idle set at 800rpm). For some reason it switches between the base spark table and closed throttle idle, so sometimes its 13deg adv. others its 23.. I think it might be to do with the O2 sensor warming up?? Anyway, i'll keep an eye out for any more of your work!
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #19
ethereous
1.8L

Car: 2003 Legacy 5MT Silver
Fav Mod: Delta Camshaft 1500 Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew3223 View Post
Okay, so over the last many months with the Micro I've found some ways to improve a number of calibrations that make the car better / easier / nicer to drive every day.

Improving VE table resolution

The numbers in the VE table are sort of arbitrary. If everything was setup correctly, it could be that a value of 100 actually represented 100% volumetric efficiency. In the MS code, the fuel delivered at the injectors is equal to "Required Fuel" * VE Table Value * Enrichment corrections. Required fuel is an injector constant that is supposed to be equal to the pulsewidth at 100% VE, however it can be used as a global factor to scale the VE table up and down. After my first round of tuning, I found that the max value in my VE table was ~88. That's a pretty small value for 1.4 bar of boost at ~7K RPM, so I wanted to re-scale the table for a couple of reasons:

1.) The VE table has a minimum increment/decrement value of 1. At idle, a change in 1 VE represented too big of a change and I found that area of the map to be a bit coarse.
2.) The VE table has a maximum allowable value of 255, so with a max value in my calibration at ~90, I wasn't even using half the possible range of the parameter.

Re-scaling is easy by reducing the Req Fuel value. By reducing the "base" pulse-width value, we need to increase the VE value to deliver an equal amount of fuel. So, I chose a Req fuel value of 3 since this would put the maximum value in my table at ~200. The New VE Table value is = Old VE Table value x 200 / Largest Old VE Table Value. My table went from:
Old Table

New Table

So now, for example, at 1000RPM / 35 kPa (idle region) I went from a value of 53 to a value of 119. So now, if I increment this value by 1, its a ~1% change rather than a ~2% change so finer changes can be made to the VE table. Yay!

Increasing VE Table Resolution with Table Switching

The maximum fuel table size is 16x16, however by utilizing the table switching feature in MS, we can essentially double the size to 16x32. It can all be done in software by using MAP pressure as the trigger. This is how I have it setup:

So, essentially at 100kPa MAP, switch to the second VE table. So table 1 will be everything below 100kPa, and table 2 will be everything above 100kPa. I set it up so that the tables overlap, so the top row of the first table are identical as the bottom row of the second table. I did a bunch of tuning and logging and table smoothing and I also used the opportunity to re-scale the axis and came up with the following:

So now, I have more cells available at each operating point. I found overall, This improved all of the part load areas - I have more stable AFR's at almost all out-of-boost driving conditions.

Improved Closed Loop Fueling PID Settings

Updated the EGO control settings. I think it's improved. Not much else to comment here...I'm closing on idle region now also, so this helps with being too rich at idle.

Reducing Number of Squirts

I went back from 4 "squirts" per cycle to 2. This improved idle and low load cruising regions. Essentially, with 4 squirts, the required fuel mass at any operating point is divided into 4 injections. At low load, this value might get small enough that it starts bumping up against the smallest possible opening time of the injector. So, it may be requesting an open time that the injector can't perform which means it may miss an injection and cause a lean misfire condition. Dividing the fuel mass into 2 squirts means the min injector PW is twice as large as with 4 squirts, so there's more margin before getting close to the minimum open time. Changing this value will automatically adjust the Req Fuel value.

Idle Advance and Idle Target

I struggled for a while to get the idle great. What would happen is I'd get it tuned in perfectly at one condition - fully warmed up normal conditions. However, i'd then get wonky idle after a cold start, or after a hot-restart, or during the warm-up period. Sooo I sought a way to improve it. Two major changes...
1.) Utilizing Idle Advance
2.) Increasing closed-loop idle initial values

Idle advance uses a separate ignition value under closed loop idle. As soon as the ECU recognizes and switches into closed loop idle, it changes to this idle advance value. This allowed me to use a more retarded ignition value only under idle which helped stabilize a hunting idle.

I also increased the initial IAC PWM values so that the value is a bit higher than actual stabilized value. This helped prevent the engine from stalling when clutching in and or coming to a stop. This makes the RPM "hang" a little bit when entering idle, but it almost never stalls.

Air Conditioning

I figured out and setup air-conditioning control and idle up. Details can be found in my wagon journal HERE, HERE and HERE.

That's all for now! Hope this helps some people.

Man, I just wanted to thank you for this thread. I have an 03 Legacy 5MT that I've been dying to get a custom tune on to match up with my cams. I was going to ask your opinion on the Link system until I saw this second page and response. I think a Microsquirt may be in budget and might just bet the ticket. Would you mind if I ask you for your base map and what have you in the future? It would be great to have a starting off point with this stuff. I've never messed with ECU parameters before, much less a complete standalone.

Keep up the good work, man.
ethereous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #20
Jvh22a
1.8L

Car: 1996

Awsome update. !!
Jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote