EJ253 build to handle 15 psi? - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ253 build to handle 15 psi?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
EJ20
2.7L

Trader Rating: (1)
Talking EJ253 build to handle 15 psi?

hey guys
I think I'm done with the Na world, and it's time to move on to the other world
I have a new/spare EJ253 shortblock and I will build that block so it can handle +15 psi for my DD purpose. For some time I will run it @ 6 psi until I get enough $$ for the fuel system (AFAIK oe rs fuel system can't go above 6 psi) anyway, here is my block parts list:
- New EJ257 pistons, pins, and pistons rings.
- New Brian crower econo rods (I already have those).
- Stock EJ253 crank shaft and bearings.

I already have my heads P&P with delta 2000 grinds cams, and will get a free lupespeed turbo kit from a friend who got an STi last year.
What do you guys think about this setup? Will run it @ 6 psi for some time till I get the fuel systme sorted out for 15 psi

oh yes, my car is 03 RS with map system and it's rwd (I have JDM R180 rear end)
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
GEE-OTTO
3.3L

Car: 2009 Legacy GT
Fav Mod: VF52
Trader Rating: (4)

Well while you are at it I would get a EJ257 Crank, and the head gaskets instead of the EJ253 crank. For fuel a high lph pump isnt that expensive you would only need to update your injectors and rails. What engine management will you use?

You should also thing about keeping the EJ253 intact and running the turbo kit at 6psi for a while ive ridden in a 03 RS with the AVO kit at 6 psi on the stock motor and that thing pulled. The owner said he had the desire to start at 6 and move to 16 ( generally speaking) but was so happy with the 6psi and the results he never did.

Sounds good either way keep good notes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
FuJi K
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (2)

why stay with stock Ej257 pistons when you can go forged and not worry about ringlands?

Get some forged pistons, STi rods, and put that with your crank. Now with that setup being lower CR than before, You can run your 6psi just fine. Just change out to bigger injectors, then you're all good to go. OR add an FMU, which is simple.

But really when you start gettin into the turbo stuff, and wanting 300whp and stuff like that, this will NO LONGER be a budget build like how "most" want to stay. Simple stuff would be a direct WRX swap over to yours and stg2 with 16G or HTA68 and be with it. hahaha
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
EJ20
2.7L

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO View Post
Well while you are at it I would get a EJ257 Crank, and the head gaskets instead of the EJ253 crank. For fuel a high lph pump isnt that expensive you would only need to update your injectors and rails. What engine management will you use?

You should also thing about keeping the EJ253 intact and running the turbo kit at 6psi for a while ive ridden in a 03 RS with the AVO kit at 6 psi on the stock motor and that thing pulled. The owner said he had the desire to start at 6 and move to 16 ( generally speaking) but was so happy with the 6psi and the results he never did.

Sounds good either way keep good notes
I would like to get upgraded fuel pump and injectors, but currnetly I'm on budget. Yeh head kaskets are on my to do list for the 6 psi, I don't like the idea of changing them after a while for higher boost
oh and about the injectors, I made some search and came up with an o-rings kit that make you able to use wrx injectors? how good are they for 15 psi (I don't have any plan to go higher than 15 psi)
I know the STi crank is much stronger, but why change my new ej253 crank if I'm not going to make over 250whp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuJi K View Post
why stay with stock Ej257 pistons when you can go forged and not worry about ringlands?

Get some forged pistons, STi rods, and put that with your crank. Now with that setup being lower CR than before, You can run your 6psi just fine. Just change out to bigger injectors, then you're all good to go. OR add an FMU, which is simple.

But really when you start gettin into the turbo stuff, and wanting 300whp and stuff like that, this will NO LONGER be a budget build like how "most" want to stay. Simple stuff would be a direct WRX swap over to yours and stg2 with 16G or HTA68 and be with it. hahaha
I love to get forged pistons, but I'm on budget. Sti pistons are cheap and can handle 20 psi so easy, they will lower CR too.
about the rods, what's wrong with Brian crower rods?

I'm not looking for 300whp, I guess at 15 psi I will mostly make ~250whp? right? I've been living with my 160hp impreza for years, and I guess 250whp will make me happy for years too
Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Monster
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Prodrive goodies =D
Trader Rating: (11)

fuel pumps are cheap and stock 06+wrx or sti injectors should be good enough, rather not cheap out on that

you are going to the extent of cracking the motor apart i wouldn't go cheap on some things if you know what i mean =]
Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
99STM
Not a premium member

There's no reason to buy a crank. They're all forged.

Make sure you get aclutch that'll hold the power. You could run your stock injectors for a little boost but, not a whole lot. IIRC, the factory tune maxs the stock injectors out at like 80% duty cycle. So there is a little bit of room but, I would suggest you just buy injectors. Better safe than sorry. I would HIGHLY recommend that you dont halfass it when it comes to EM, it controls how everything and that's very critical when boosting an N/A setup.
99STM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
reddevil
3.3L

Car: 1990 legacy wagon
Fav Mod: supercharger
Trader Rating: (0)

Get some STI rods instead of the BC rods. Cheaper and good for 400whp. Then you have money left over for a Walbro fuel pump.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
VIsubi
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2006 2.5i San Remo Red SC
Fav Mod: SC, tunedbyfastbluUFO O.S
Trader Rating: (0)

don't know how old this thread is but STI,wrx, and impreza share the same crank, the ej253 rods are also forged its the pistons with out a good tune that get damaged. you can go to 9 psi supercharged boost at least safely on stock block with a very good tune. you can also just get forged 10:1 pistons like the stocks and not have to run high boost, something like 14psi like wrx stock boost is like 18 psi of boost but since torque will still be there you don't have to go up in boost when you have stock compression with forged pistons. 2.5i fuel system with injectors and pump is good for 15 psi of fuel demand and flow..regulator is the same as wrx from what I hear. The most important thing is engine management tune tune tune!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
99STM
Not a premium member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
Get some STI rods instead of the BC rods. Cheaper and good for 400whp. Then you have money left over for a Walbro fuel pump.
It's all in the tune, but yes STi rods are forged. They're cheap as dirt too.
99STM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
forester_007
3.3L

Car: 2003 Subaru Forester Black/Gra
Fav Mod: VF48 Turbo Kit
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsubi View Post
don't know how old this thread is but STI,wrx, and impreza share the same crank, the ej253 rods are also forged its the pistons with out a good tune that get damaged. you can go to 9 psi supercharged boost at least safely on stock block with a very good tune. you can also just get forged 10:1 pistons like the stocks and not have to run high boost, something like 14psi like wrx stock boost is like 18 psi of boost but since torque will still be there you don't have to go up in boost when you have stock compression with forged pistons. 2.5i fuel system with injectors and pump is good for 15 psi of fuel demand and flow..regulator is the same as wrx from what I hear. The most important thing is engine management tune tune tune!!!
Sorry but stock Injectors won't work with 15 psi, you will need larger ones
forester_007 is offline   Reply With Quote