Boosting 1990-2002 USDM Subarus: A Chronological Guide - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Boosting 1990-2002 USDM Subarus: A Chronological Guide

Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #81
sergey2007
1.8L

Car: Legacy 2.5i (2004)
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRSC View Post
Thank you for the information provided.
I wanted to clarify for themselves. Plan to install a turbo on the new engine ej253. Is it possible to secure continuous service with the boost 5psi (no change in the motor, with a compression ratio 10:1 )?
Course will be properly configured (AEM EMS4). Main question withstand the stock engine parts and the resistance to detonation. Turbo td04 (WRX).

PS. I want to get at least half-rate, as described here. AVO Turboworld LLC : 2.5i Turbokit [S2108K07A001T] - $3,200.00

Thanks in advance.
sergey2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #82
pjr203
1.8L

Car: 2000 impreza rs blue
Fav Mod: borla exhaust
Trader Rating: (2)

Awsome Write up! I am trying to turbo my 00 rs the cheepest way possible and i have a couple questions. Currently im running delta 2000 cams with an ecu reflash on stock internals. Iv been peacing the kit together and so far have td04 turbo, exhaust manifold, wrx tmic, bpv, 1 step colder plugs, uppipe and down pipe, walbro 255, rrfpr, voltage clamp, and all the oil and vacume lines. My question is do i need anything else? Boost controller? Gauges? Wideband o2 sensor? And most of all do i need a J and S safegaurd?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #83
JR1de57
2.0L

Fav Mod: Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr203 View Post
Awsome Write up! I am trying to turbo my 00 rs the cheepest way possible and i have a couple questions. Currently im running delta 2000 cams with an ecu reflash on stock internals. Iv been peacing the kit together and so far have td04 turbo, exhaust manifold, wrx tmic, bpv, 1 step colder plugs, uppipe and down pipe, walbro 255, rrfpr, voltage clamp, and all the oil and vacume lines. My question is do i need anything else? Boost controller? Gauges? Wideband o2 sensor? And most of all do i need a J and S safegaurd?
just picked up a blue '00 2.5rs with about the exact same setup on it and trying to get it to run right. my buddy i got the car from moved and didnt have enough time to get it running right to move it with him. trying to piece all the stuff together and get it running right. answer to your questions would also help me.

Also awesome right up here a lot of good info in here. my main problem is tuning atm and understanding. i guess you can say i come from the computer age when it goes to that. seem like i keep making things too complicated but i wanna make sure i get everything right. in other news the kit is on and car runs but needs some tweaking and i think he put n/a cams in it which im debating on whether or not i need to take them out and if it is worth it to have a set sent out to be ground for turbo instead. think he said the ecu that is in the car was also tuned for the cams from cobb. so not sure what the map looks like and if i wanna attempt to use it with the turbo. im thinking im going to pull the cams and swap the "other" aka stock ecu back in.
JR1de57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #84
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS BRP
Fav Mod: 8 SEMA awards.

I posted this to display what was effective and worked with stock equipment. Doing it "as cheap as possible" defeats the purpose of spending money wisely. WRx equipment is definitely better supported, at the same time the stock equipment is underrated.

You can run a bigger turbo with your bigger cams. A TD04 on that combo would be very restrictive, honestly. A VF or 16g to 20g would do well. IHI flanges have basically the same turbo options as a WRX. One thing most kits also never had was an external wastegate.

You guys wanting to push something more radical really just need timing retard for the stock ECU. A Hydra is an option for RS guys, now. We didn't have those. A turbo block would let you run upwards of 18psi, and the stock electronics would still do it with the same help mentioned here. 440s and 6psi on a cammed motor should do fine. Again, a TD04 on a cammed 2.5 would be a very restrictive turbo.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #85
gadge
1.8L

Car: 2.0 n/a
Fav Mod: turbo

hi new here sorry if im bringing up an old thread ,but would like to say great thread and good information ,
im in the uk have a 01 2.0 sport i believe to be map based
an notice most guys here tune turbo 1.8 or 2.2

anyway i noticed on the thread the 2.0 aint a good motor to boost
im looking into doing mine only wanting to run low ,more for fun,and well to keep me occupied and i d like to tinker ,my first subaru love the car even n/a

problem being ,iam wanting to use the stock engine ,as have no where to do a swap or delve into swapping engine internals
this thread kind said it can be done on stock motor other than what i notice about the 2.0 piston not any good ,and yea i know there are threads
and read read read etc but well this seemed a good thread to ask

and fair play if not possible i know not to read and just buy a turbo car
but well as i say im an old tinkering kind do it yourself guy

anyway thankyou and great thread once again very informative
and thankyou for any advice
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #86
GeronimoRS
3.3L

Fav Mod: muffler delete
Trader Rating: (7)

^ We just don't have any experience here with the NA EJ20. My guess is that you would be fine on low boost.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #87
gadge
1.8L

Car: 2.0 n/a
Fav Mod: turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeronimoRS View Post
^ We just don't have any experience here with the NA EJ20. My guess is that you would be fine on low boost.

thankyou well that were my thinking ,seems ok within reason across the engines being done here ,and well little in the way of information in the uk but plenty of available parts so think i may have to have a go thx
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #88
fireindc
2.0L

Awesome thread OP, loving the info here. I'm brainstorming a recipe for my car right now, what do you guys think.

Phase I ej22e bottom end with 140k, 99 ej25 SOHC heads with approx 140k from a 99 forester, dropped into my 99 forester chassis and controlled by the stock (maf) ecu. Combine that with a vf39 and a fmic, and a rising rate FPR, and wbo2 to ensure good afrs in boost. All running on wastegate, or up to 10psi max.

Does this sound like a reliable combination for a winter DD? With the hybrid motor I should have a lower comp ratio, and hopefully that will make the aggressive timing map more acceptable for some boost.

Again, thanks for the wealth of info in this thread. Hope to put some boost to this pig soon!
fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #89
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS BRP
Fav Mod: 8 SEMA awards.

You take a lot of risk with high mileage parts.

Those heads on that block are too low of a compression raio. You're talking like 7:1. Too low, IMO.

I have zero experience with European Subies. All this was put together before I forgot it

Last edited by ImprezaRSC; 10-11-2013 at 11:32 AM..
ImprezaRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #90
fireindc
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaRSC View Post
Those heads on that block are too low of a compression raio. You're talking like 7:1. Too low, IMO.
Really now, damn it. 7:1 is absolutely too low, I thought I would only get a comp ratio that low if i went with an ej22t block. Way too low for me, especially considering I want to get the car put back together and run it n/a over winter.

Well ****, lol. All the research I've done thus far was showing somewhere between an 8.5-9:1 comp ratio. Engine is an ej22e from a 97 impreza and heads are from a 99 forester with an ej25 sohc.

Hopefully i can find some way to make this work. I really only want 180-200whp at the end, just enough to make this thing move with decent urgency. All the links I've found so far referencing a compression ratio calculator are from years ago and are now dead.
fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote