Rally X setups - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > > >
Rally X setups

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #91
bigjoshsubyfan
2.2L

Trader Rating: (4)

I never experienced this either I loved the set up and was very competitive with it. Lots of control and I used to set mine 2 front 5 rear for rally cross. I think you just need more time with the setup and to develop more as a driver. Making a huge change to your suspension takes getting used to in a racing scenario. Be patient and learn to drive your car and I bet you'll like it.
bigjoshsubyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #92
bigjoshsubyfan
2.2L

P.S. changing your suspension also isn't going to instantly make you the fastest guy around 4th overall at your first event isn't to bad at all.
bigjoshsubyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #93
Tim.Flat4
2.0L Turboner

Fav Mod: Less = More
Trader Rating: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelikmed View Post
I think it's just AGX and 225 springs are not a good pair at all.
For you, no. For everyone else that understands the comfort trade offs that come with performance-enhancing suspension, it's a great combo. Look at the spring rates designed for up-rated dampers used in a "street" application offered by the aftermarket. The rates are usually high 100s, low 200s which also happen to work quite well for rallyx if they don't lower much.

Prodrive, Tein, Swift, and others probably aren't wrong.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #94
rallytime!!
1.8L

Car: 1999 Impreza RS
Fav Mod: Rally light bar
Trader Rating: (0)

nobody racing with king springs yet?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #95
4tun8
2.0L

Fav Mod: delta 2000
Trader Rating: (1)

car/year- 05/rs

wheel/tire- steel wheel/Michelin X gravel tires

suspension- Hotbits 1st gen rally suspension (if my research is correct)

brakes- stock for now

engine- uel header, 3" cbe, 8mm I/m spacers, exedy lw flywheel, clutch, pp, delta 2000's

misc-

favorite track/place to rally- Summit Point raceway, WV
4tun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #96
mtbrider
2.5L

Fav Mod: High Comp NA Pistons
Trader Rating: (0)

Car
01 2.5 RS

Wheels
Stock 6 spokes with General Altimax Artic snow tires

Brakes
Front - 4 pots, stock 06 WRX pads, Stoptech Power Slot rotors
Rear - Stoptech Street Tech pads, Power Slot rotors

Engine
PRM Cold Air Intake
OBX EL Header
OBX Stainless Catback
Cobb Lightweight Crank Pulley - Blue
Area 1320 Throttle Body Spacer
Fresh PRM Air Filter

Suspension/Chassis
04 STi struts revalved by Feal for gravel
04 STi springs & top hats (rear top hats modified for GC bolt pattern)
Cusco Front Strut Tower
Cusco Rear Strut Tower
Rear Cobb Anti Sway Bar
GT Spec Front Fender Braces
1-1/4" Class I Hitch (The previous owner put that on for a bike rack)
Rallitek Front Anti Sway Bar
JDM GC8 Sti Aluminum Control Arms
2004 Sti steering rack with Whiteline bushings
Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Hotchkis Front Endlinks

Favorite Place to Rally
Anywhere relatively close to home

I want to try unhooking the rear sway bar and seeing how it goes. Possibly the front after that.

Long term, I think I want to get some Ground Control coilover sleeves for the STi struts. I like the ability to adjust the ride height.

And then I'll need to get some proper gravel tires and rally wheels at some point.

Last edited by mtbrider; 11-15-2013 at 11:07 AM..
mtbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #97
lelikmed
1.8L

Car: 2000 2.5L RS Silver
Fav Mod: Open Light AWD Rally Car
Trader Rating: (5)

I used to run with a front sway bar, but before last rally - disconnected it at both ends: results - much better front grip. Car starts to roll and grip and just turn in. Highly recommend doing this.
lelikmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #98
Zealous Interiors
Account Closed For Now

Fav Mod: Billstein PSS9
Trader Rating: (71)

It seems like a popular combo is the AGX with GC Coils and 10 inch spring. Does anyone have experience with how these are on the street?

I'm looking for a setup that is primarily for driving to the mountain/doing rallyx. But I don't want it to be terrible on the street.

The car had Bilstein PSS9's when I got it, but the rears are shot, I'm afraid rebuilding them will be crazy expensive with the corrosion we have in VT, and I don't even think they are a great setup for rallyx if they were functioning correctly anyways. Any advice is appreciated.
Zealous Interiors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #99
Brock
2.7L

Fav Mod: RA Gears

^
I ran AGX with 9" (10" would be better) springs on Ground Control perches in autocross for many years and the first three rallycrosses we had in AZ. One shock blew at the third rallycross, but I blame all the years of abuse prior to that (a few guys have rallycrossed them locally for longer without issue). They're a pretty decent solution on the cheap. The drawback is that having the right spring length is important to avoid preload or loose springs at your desired ride height (you may even want to use 11" or 12" springs depending on how soft and how high you want it). Helper springs could be an easy remedy for this problem.

I would talk to Odi at Feal Suspension ([email protected]) about rebuilding the Bilsteins. They can be revalved to better suit rallycross and your spring rates too. He also sells a variety of other setups (including an affordable gravel coilover which I use and won the local championship with). His website is rallyracingsuspension.com. Feel free to drop my name (Brock) when talking to him (might help me out in the future).
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #100
Brock
2.7L

Fav Mod: RA Gears

And since I don't think I've posted in this thread yet...

car/year-
1997 Subaru Impreza Brighton

wheel/tire-
Currently running BFG gravel tires (med-hard compound) on alloy Legacy wheels. Previously ran 28" BFG T/A KO (truck tires) which felt as grippy as the gravel tires (more grippy in mud) but huge tire = huge gearing, ARP wheel studs.

suspension-
Feal Suspension 441 gravel coilovers. Ran 6kgf/mm all around last year, going to test 300#/250# next event (which is similar to the standard 6k/5k on a stockish weight car). No sway bars, but may experiment more after the spring change. Ran WRX rear links last season. Currently in the process of changing to alloy (STi) front control arms, Whiteline (adjustable) rear links, polyurethane bushings + bump steer and "anti-lift" correction kits.

brakes-
RS front brakes, Outback rear brakes, stainless steel lines

engine-
EJ251 (from a '00 Forester), Delta 1500 cams, Borla header, Supers cats, OBX resonator, no axleback/muffler (because racecar), intake spacers, wideband, S-AFC, Walboro fuel pump

transmission/drivetrain-
RA gears FTMFW! OBX front LSD (helical) with RBryant hardware kit, 4.444 final drive (rear VLSD from a '00 Legacy GT), ACT 9.5 lb flywheel, Group N transmission mount, Exedy "stage 1" clutch (I burnt through standard clutches like crazy), shifter bushings, TiC linkage update, WRX 5th gear (for fuel economy getting to events).

weight-
3.6 lb battery from EarthX, gutted interior, Corbeau driver seat, gutted bumper beams, AC and power steering removed, airbags and other crash safety features removed. I believe it'll currently weight around 2400 lb, but it's been a couple years (and a few parts replaced) since it was last on a scale.

misc-
1/8" aluminum skidplate, 4-point harness, 3 other drivers.

favorite track/place to rally-
Wherever the competition is. If it's within a reasonable distance, the car is working properly, and I can afford to, I will race wherever/whatever.

(I've had the car since 2006)