Fresh Air Intake On My N/A...WOW! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Fresh Air Intake On My N/A...WOW!
View Poll Results: Should I make a custom intake?
Yes - chop up your Injen intake and adapt it to the stock torque box 141 57.79%
No - You're dumb! Why would you chop up that intake! 103 42.21%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Deutschland!
Trader Rating: (6)
Arrow Fresh Air Intake On My N/A...WOW!

i just finished installing a COBB CAI for my 99RS (MAF) and all i can say is WOW. There is a HUGE gain in throttle response and power all around. It eliminated all the points where the engine was sluggish before (say 5th gear going 50km/h), now its a smooth increase, slow but smooth until it hits the power band. Once i hit 4000RPM its like V-tech kicks in, a sudden surge power

I do have a PRO ECM powerchip as well which aids the intake even more so than normal, with 91octane

All the talk on this forum about the "torque box" and how special it is made me doubt some CAI and their performance. im glad i went with it and found out 1st hand.

Highly Recommended !!!!

Last edited by James555; 09-18-2017 at 01:38 AM..
mr_subaru_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
lanz0r
3.3L

Car: RIP 2000 2.5RS, 1999 RS
Fav Mod: Potatos
Trader Rating: (3)

ganzflow still pwns cobb
lanz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Eloheem
2.2L 22b

Fav Mod: Old Zombie
Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_subaru_rs View Post
i just finished installing a COBB CAI for my 99RS (MAF) and all i can say is WOW. There is a HUGE gain in throttle response and power all around. It eliminated all the points where the engine was sluggish before (say 5th gear going 50km/h), now its a smooth increase, slow but smooth until it hits the power band. Once i hit 4000RPM its like V-tech kicks in, a sudden surge power

I do have a PRO ECM powerchip as well which aids the intake even more so than normal, with 91octane

All the talk on this forum about the "torque box" and how special it is made me doubt some CAI and their performance. im glad i went with it and found out 1st hand.

Highly Recommended !!!!
Glad it worked out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanz0r View Post
ganzflow still pwns cobb
Not entirely true.
Eloheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
bpsubie
2.2L

Fav Mod: Full exhaust!
Trader Rating: (4)

i do agree, i had a ganzflow style intake as well as an injen. i drove around with the ganzflow and then swapped the injen back in an i must say the injen was wayyy better, there was more torque, which surprised me (seeing as how they call it a torque box) and the top end pull was better. basically Injen (and other CAI/short rams)>ganzflow IMO
bpsubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanz0r View Post
ganzflow still pwns cobb
ill need some proof for that lol, the difference when i removed the torque box was stunning, i was doubtful at first ill admit but now i have a different take on the whole torque box issue we seem to have.

at first i believed that the torque box was necessary to get the torque out of our engines. But then after i put the cobb intake in i highly disagree for a few reasons.

-the torque box does allow for SOME stagnant air to be free-up for the instantaneous power (low end torque), but very very quickly is it used up. and then the engine is forced to put some work into drawing the air in through the TB. If the snorkus is removed it will do around 50% of what aftermarket intakes do, just free up the air flow. the torque box still limits the flow to the TB and can be improved on.

-with a full intake system such as COBB or Injen there is no restrictions on the flow of the air and a "true" atmospheric air pressure can be achieved flowing into the engine (theoretical design for engines), with the torque box this has a lower chance of being obtained. The ganzflow is really a poors mans way of doing intake and most users do not even document whether they remove the snorkus or not.

this is just my take on this, but i do have some school on the thermodynamics lol
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
curtis
2.0L Turbo

Car: fast wagon, toyota 4x4
Fav Mod: intermittent dash rattle

i had a short ram, and then i went back to stock torque box with a ganzflow. the ganzflow setup is worlds better in terms of low end throttle response.
curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
echelon
3.3L

Fav Mod: shortshifter
Trader Rating: (2)

super noob question..

ganzflow is when the filter/cone is in the fender pretty much right?

so if i go offroad at all and dirt likes to fly around in my wheel well i shouldn't do this? and just stick with normal cai?

thanks!
echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Eloheem
2.2L 22b

Fav Mod: Old Zombie
Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
i had a short ram, and then i went back to stock torque box with a ganzflow. the ganzflow setup is worlds better in terms of low end throttle response.
I sorta did the same thing. Went from a SRI to a hybrid set up. The truth is, yes, you will feel a difference in low end torque and high end torque depending on what setup you have. It is not that big of a difference IMHO. With the SRI I had nice high end torque but the sound from the intake was too much for me. When I switched to the hybrid intake the "ricey" sound of the intake was gone, but I lost the high end torque. Buuuuut, I had pure boxer rumble through all rpms It is not that big of a difference, but you as a driver can tell.

Also, if you were to get cams and a reflash, you will want to keep your torque box b/c I heard that is what the SRS 30 is set up for. Anything less would be uncivilized lol. I thought I would never get to use that quote haha.
Eloheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
mr_subaru_rs
2.0L Turbo

the sounds are almost purely because of the snorkus being removed. With SRI the air that is being sucked in is extremely hot and puts a MASSIVE dent into the thermal efficiency of the engine, which can account for the loss of torque and not so much the removal of the torque box. Since i removed my torque box i should be experiencing a loss in low end torque.....but actually i experienced a increase. So it really matters where the source is and not so much on the damn torque box

i just dont see how a straight piece of metal with a cone filter is suppose to be a glorious increase over that of plastic tubing and a box filter.....poor mans mods to me

and to echelon....your cladding in your wheel well is very tight together and will not allow rocks into the fender area let alone be sucked up by a intake system. When i had just removed mine to get at my snorkus the area was still quite clean for being a winter car as well. no id say no worries
Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
MGBrand
Anti-Nonsense

Car: 2004 2.5 RS, 1973 L48 Corvette
Fav Mod: Borla Headers
Trader Rating: (0)

Its been 2 years since I put my Cobb on, and I do not regret choosing it one bit. The Cobb design cannot be compared with an Injen CAI or with any short ram design. It blends a short ram design with the longer Injen CAI to take advantage of the strengths of both. The Cobb is not much longer than a short ram, allowing for better flow at in the lower RPM range and better throttle response. The Cobb is shorter than a traditional CAI which is a plus for the reason mentioned above, but is just long enough to draw colder air from the fender, which is the downfall of short ram styles, gains are negated by higher intake air temps. The length and design of the intake tract affects where the engine will make power. In general, the shorter the path between the throttle body and the open air, the better the low end power of the motor will be. Longer tends to benefit high end power.