Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Delta Cam Questions

413K views 2K replies 287 participants last post by  Captain Kirk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those who have installed these cams are you happy with the performance upgrades? How much better responce did you get? Is it difficult to shim? How did it effect your fuel milage?

#78 ·
Skidd said:
Actually, they can change the lift too. This is done by taking metal from the back side of the cam lobe. So, it's not so much that the lift increases at the end of the lobe, but kinda decreases at the back side. After a relash, voila... new cam duration and lift.
wha? you mean they cut the base circle smaller to get the same lift? hmm

also do the DOHCs use little pucks to adjust valve lash? assuming all stock set up it would need thicker pucks for the re ground cam? also ive heard of issues with the puck style valve train: if the valve floats the pucks can get spit out or turned sideways etc. does stiff springs solve this?

will

#81 ·
will98rs said:
wha? you mean they cut the base circle smaller to get the same lift? hmm

also do the DOHCs use little pucks to adjust valve lash? assuming all stock set up it would need thicker pucks for the re ground cam? also ive heard of issues with the puck style valve train: if the valve floats the pucks can get spit out or turned sideways etc. does stiff springs solve this?

will
Get some lash caps. They go in between the valve stem and the bucket. Then you can use much thinner shims.

#85 ·
OK. Listen Up!

Here's the deal. I have a set of SOHC from a 2.5... donated from my service department.

I will send in this set. Then install the regrinds... Then I will send the OEM's I pull out to the next in line and ship (of course you will pay to ship to the next in line, about $7).

This way there will be zero time down, when you receive the re-grinds you will send your OEMs to the next person in line. When we get to the last person, he will send me his OEMs and I will have the final stock cams, with the re-grinds in my car.

Yes, this is trust ~ but you guys are my brothers. If this works I will do the same on I-Club...

I am about 2 weeks out to do this. Sign up and let's make this happen. :sunny:

#88 · (Edited)
Yes.... you see I am 'special'. I promise I WILL do this.

If I get burned, well I have always been the 'fool', why change now.

You must admit, it's a great plan. So, let's give Delta a lot of business here in the next month or two. They are claiming 12% - 15% gains on the stock motor. So doing the math on an '05 that would be 19 hp. for just under $150 (less labor of course)... that is serious HP for the price!

C'mon boys. You don't need to beg for rides to work. When the re-grinds arrive, pull your OEMs and send them to the next in line. :bump:

Start the PM's tonight and I will keep on top of the list! I should send my set to them by the 10th of October.

#89 · (Edited)
MNgc8 said:
^^^ wow, i didnt think anyone would actually do this...

im already lined up to buy a used set though
So, the smart man would back out ~ why spend money you don't have to spend? This is the real deal... If you want the OEMs as a 'back-up' then buy 'em ( I do. So, I understand THAT logic). Otherwise, sign in and get the same 'no down time' service for FREE! :monkey:

Feel the 'love;! :sunny:

#91 ·
ej25power said:
Maybe we should start a thread just to list names of people who want to trade cores? That way there's no confusion.
Whatever. I am on to my 3rd glass of wine. I say, PM me if you are on board... The cores will go out to the 1st person on the list. I really don't care if I don't see my cores for 6 months. I just want to help some brothers out and keep it going. :)

#97 · (Edited)
I haven't been following this thread real close but noticed a couple issues I can chime in on. DJ mighta been talking to me when he heard about using STi valvesprings as a cheap upgrade. I'm using them (well, just pulled the motor for other reasons) with 98RS heads....so for a DOHC head....you can use them. The differences between stock RS springs and STi springs are in the freeheight, seat pressure and coilbind height. The STi's are a bit longer and have higher seat pressure. The installed height is the same but the STi cam has more lift along with a shorter coilbind height. For stock RS cams, STi springs work just fine. I would have to dig up my notes to compare the figures to see if the STi springs would be okay with a set of delta regrinds though. The SOHC springs are definately different, as shown in the pics earlier in the thread.

My other point is the revlimit. I am currently having no problems with an 8125RPM revlimit (+25%) on a stock phase I motor. Granted, I don't keep it there very long or in long sweeping turns where oiling would become a major issue. Additionally, I'm doing it on a non-flashed 98RS ECU.

This is in no way saying that everyone is 100% safe in doing it or should do it at all. I'm only posting up that it is possible and at least in our case, has been reliable as ever. The only thing we ended up needing to change was the crankcase venting. A catchcan is now in use.

Carry on with the great discussion....As soon as my plans allow for a set of cams, Delta is first on the list.

#98 ·
NW OBS said:
So, the smart man would back out ~ why spend money you don't have to spend? This is the real deal... If you want the OEMs as a 'back-up' then buy 'em ( I do. So, I understand THAT logic). Otherwise, sign in and get the same 'no down time' service for FREE! :monkey:

Feel the 'love;! :sunny:
ya, i just wanna have the stock pair just in case. I still have everything i took off my car...you know the whole just in case thing. Plus, if i were to get on this list, i would be the asshole who keeps the cams for like 10 months cus i cant come up with the money to get them installed...

Im just proud my idea is goin through

#99 · (Edited)
MNgc8 said:
ya, i just wanna have the stock pair just in case. I still have everything i took off my car...you know the whole just in case thing. Plus, if i were to get on this list, i would be the asshole who keeps the cams for like 10 months cus i cant come up with the money to get them installed...

Im just proud my idea is goin through
Yeah. I hear you... but I have started to unload things. The 'just in case' thing was starting to make my garage look like an OEM junkyard. Now, I have just what it takes to pass smog if it doesn't fly through inspection!

#101 ·
MNgc8 said:
Plus, if i were to get on this list, i would be the asshole who keeps the cams for like 10 months cus i cant come up with the money to get them installed...
That's my worry too. I'm planning on having Storm (that guy that posted a little bit ago. :D ) install mine, so I'd be waiting until he had enough freetime. And he's a damn busy guy. But it's still a great plan.

I'd definitely be down to be in the line for the extra cams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.