Overheating problem - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Overheating problem

Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Noobietothesubie
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Overheating problem

Hello any and everyone. I’m in need of some help, I have a stock 04 Subaru Impreza with180,000miles on it. Last week it overheated and died on me. Found out I ran out of coolant my fault should have kept a closer eye on it. Got more coolant and also an oil change cause it was time for it anyway. On my way to work today it overheated and died again popped the hood the coolant cap was off and coolant was bubbling and abit of smoke was coming out. Sitting here waiting for my car to cool down enough to bring it back home and off the road. What should I do or what do I need to do to fix my problem this is my daily driver, thank in advance.
Noobietothesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

Coolant cap on the radiator, or coolant cap on the over flow? There isn't much to a cooling system as far as things that are the reason for over heating. If the radiator is very old, you should replace it with a new one, as the fins get dirty/bent less air can flow through reducing the cooling performance. When/If you replace the radiator you should also replace the radiator cap. The cap has a spring pressure in it to pressurize the cooling system, this allows the cooling system to work better. No pressure, less cooling capacity, more over heaty. Your thermostat could be stuck closed, they generally fail open though so I wouldn't actually suspect this. And the radiator fans, you should know if these work. If it's over heating it should sound like a small tornado under the hood.

Coincidentally around 180-190k is when my RS' head gasket finally failed. It had been seeping for a long time but eventually dumped everything out.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Noobietothesubie
1.8L

Oh sorry the overflow cap on the coolant reservoir should of been more specific, just looked at the radiator with a flashlight doesn’t look clogged or caked with anything
Noobietothesubie is offline   Reply With Quote