Driving in Snow - Great Advice from RS25 Members - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Driving in Snow - Great Advice from RS25 Members

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #71
iboard10
2.0L

Car: '06 impreza 2.5i
Trader Rating: (0)

quick question... i do live in so cal i never have snow here unless i am going to big bear so thats why i don't know this...

someone on here was saying that you need chains for all four wheels not just the front two? is that right? and which is better chains or cables?

i would just like to say that i have read all of this and understand that our cars are AWD and all... but on my way to big bear today they had all cars, 4x4 or not, put on chains. and for a good reason! the roads were really bad! i was in my dads jeep so it wasn't AS bad... not sure i could have gone in my subie because of the lack of ground clearance...
iboard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #72
2.5rsleeper
4 please, to go.

Fav Mod: Things that go woosh.
Trader Rating: (6)

chains are overkill. a good set of all seasons or snows (if you have money) are going to be a lot better in the long run.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #73
andyinvain
2.7L

Car: 1997 OBS
Fav Mod: Dirt

i just have all seasons and they told me i needed snow tires on the way to big bear on monday and i said they were and they let me go. it was fine. and the snow was deep too. i loveeee awd!
andyinvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #74
teeceRS
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: Window Tint
Trader Rating: (14)

like everyone else is saying, take it slow, be careful, DON'T SLAM ON THE BRAKES, when turning don't take the turns as tightly as you would even in the rain, the less steer and the more gas has helped me through the 900bagillion snow storms we've had here in mass. and if you think your car is stuck give it a lot of gas and go as straight as possible you'll be surprised how well our cars can conquer the snow. also, keep your headlights and fogs on, and take your time, as our parents always told us awd won't stop you from sliding, but modesty will. aka don't get cocky cuz you're rollin with awd. good luck bro and have some fun.
teeceRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #75
letsgopens
1.8L

Car: 2002 Impreza RS

Excellent thread. Driving in snow with these Subarus is fantastic. I was thankful yesterday when I was taking an uphill left out of my driveway onto an unplowed, icy and slushy road.
Very nice.
I second the notion that you basically aim the steering wheel where you want to go, and keep feathering the gas pedal (do NOT spin the tires) to power through a low traction situation, like I had to yesterday morning. If you give it a second (and it feels like forever when you're doing it), the car will right itself, grab and go. Don't make like a handsaw and saw the steering wheel back and forth.

That being said....always be mindful, you just can't stop if you're going too fast for the conditions, so go slower than you think you should..give way more room in front of you.
letsgopens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #76
blase m
2.0L

Car: MY00 brp impreza reflashed
Trader Rating: (4)

it was probably covered but I haven't read the whole thread but my advice is always play it cool, like you're next to a snake or a dog with rabies or something. No sudden moves like slamming on brakes, mashing the gas, or jerking the wheel (unless you know what you are doing of course ) I also tend to engine brake more in the snow, but sometimes my car gets a bit squirly.
blase m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #77
Wrxviiiince
2.2L

Fav Mod: Tercel to 2.5RS!!!

Awesome read! I feel like I learned a lot from all the contributors . I guess it makes sense to look and aim toward where you want to go. One time I made a somewhat sharp turn in heavy rain, and I accidentally started sliding. I looked toward the lane I wanted to go into, turned the wheel where I was looking, the car slid sideway for a little, and a second later I regained control. It was quite scary, yet exhilarating... But yeah, keeping calm is important too.

Now to keep these rules in mind when I travel up north or west where there's snow in the winter months!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #78
Kincaid Racing
3.3L

Fav Mod: Removing homebrew turbo!
Trader Rating: (3)

Good SNOW/ICE tires! Hakkas, Blizzak, X-Ice, ect... On your way up to the mountain try and find a large open spot to get a feel of how the car reacts under different scenarios/slide angles... Advice online is great, but you'll never remember step A-E as your sliding and the adrenaline starts flowing go learn how to control the vehicle that way you'll avoid problems in a real emergency
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #79
Storm
Super Moderator

Fav Mod: DCCD, baby!
Trader Rating: (37)

^^^ This is true. Memorizing instructions is not enough.....they must be put into practice often enough that it becomes second nature. Our brains resort to instinct in stressful/emergency situations.....so the instinct must be to practice the advice given earlier in this thread.

A perfect example is training your brain to not mash the brake pedal or dial in more steering when the front end decides not to follow your intended path.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #80
Wrxviiiince
2.2L

Fav Mod: Tercel to 2.5RS!!!

Road trip to Hawk's Nest, anyone?