Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Driving in Snow - Great Advice from RS25 Members

86K views 341 replies 145 participants last post by  Repko 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, being here in the west coast I've not driven in snow... but just a few questions as I'm heading out with my gf for a snowboarding trip this weekend:

I just bought some dunlop snow tires, will I still need to bring chains? The reports say to always bring 'em in case. Should I?

It's supposed to be snowing where I'm heading this weekend. Any advice? Things to bring?

Anything else useful, I'd greatly appreciate.

I have a 00 RS btw. Thanks!

#134 ·
Maintenance for the snows would be like any other tire. Store them in plastic bags (preferably sealed). For pressures, you can start with standard recommended PSI from the doorjamb and compare to the sidewall of the tire for max inflation. I'm usually 3-5psi down from the tire's max inflation if I know I'm commuting to/from work. If I'm going somewhere with nasty-nasty roads where I know I'll be moving less that 35mph, I'll air down 2-3psi from the recommended pressures.

2 schools of thought on pressures that you can try to see what works best for you and your typical usage:

Lower pressures allow the tire to broaden it's footprint, and flex more for added grip in slow speed and off-highway situations. If you know you're going to be crawling through some nasty stuff, offroad, or have gotten stuck....air down as much as possible to get you through, then air back up for normal driving. Too little pressure is no good as the footprint will distort and wear the tire wrong, or pop off the bead if you overload it. Handling is less precise.

Higher pressures expand the treadblocks to help in wicking away water and snow. It also makes a slightly smaller footprint which concentrates the weight in a smaller area to get down to solid ground. It also helps the sidewall hold it's shape better to allow the tread to work at higher speed.
Too much pressure is no good, snow tires need to flex in order to work properly.

#135 ·
What a great thread!

This may also help: use your rear defogger to keep snow/ice from accumulating on your rear window. Mine is on constantly in rain and snow conditions. I also keep my ventilation on "Fresh" with at least one window cracked to allow for proper air flow. This helps keep the windows clear. If the "Recirculate" mode is used with the windows up you're guaranteed to have steamed glass all around. If your A/C isn't working a little Rain-X or similar product on the inside (and outside) glass can work wonders to keep them clear. I use it on my headlights and side mirrors as well. Good visibility is also very important.

#139 ·
ice storm today in pa. all these trucks were stuck on the hill going to my work, and i passed them all and made it up the hill just fine...barely. it was horrible, so many crashes everywhere, ambulances were even stuck on the ice. pendot had to put chains on their trucks. yea, interesting drive.

#140 ·
Just a random and fun snow driving tid bit:

My neighbor put some make-shift chains on the back tire of his moped and buzzed around after the storm a few days ago. I really don't know how he didn't crash, but it was all for shits and giggles.

#143 ·
Just a random and fun snow driving tid bit:

My neighbor put some make-shift chains on the back tire of his moped and buzzed around after the storm a few days ago. I really don't know how he didn't crash, but it was all for shits and giggles.
Holy shit, thats hilarious. If he did'nt crash during the last storm, that should mean he'll be out during the next one.

You mean to tell us that you saw someone doing this and did'nt take pictures?

Shame on you! Next time we need pics!

#142 · (Edited)
heres a tip. Dont drive like this. And ps. Dont bash me, there was no cars around, except for that one parked, and trust me, i know not to hit it(it being a corvette too lol) and i had complete control of the car. I would never put my baby in danger.

This was the first time I drove the scooby in the snow, and it out-performed. I'm more than sure that i will probably never get stuck in snow, or have much of a problem getting anywhere. The engine braking helps a lot when going downhills, i slap it into 1 since its the 4 speed auto transmission(sadly).

#144 · (Edited)
i have a question or 2...

the other night... it snowed... just enough to cover the roads... so i headed to a parking lot 10 feet from my house... and was dissapointed in what the car couldnt do.

i tried to get it sideways and powerslide it... nothing.... i had the wheel full lock... and it would go in a straight line.. i thought perhaps there wasnt enough snow...

it just seemed that i didnt get any grip in the front at all.

i tried from a dead stop to attempt a donut... and failed. i turned the wheel and it went straight..

if i did this on gravel or dirt.. it would be a standing donut no problem...

so is it really just there wasnt enough snow?

i know how to drive in snow... so its not as i have to relearn how to drive... its more... ive never had an AWD car before.. and i wanted to have fun...

the parking lot is privetley owned and i have permission.. so... im not in any trouble.. im just disapointed in the car... maybe i expected more? i dont know... any insight?

oh yea... i have a 00 RS with RE92s on it.... so i know the tires arent the best.. but i was hoping for something. the ones on the back are new and the ones on the front are a little worn... should i rotate them around? and i have one steelie with a new blizzak on it for a spare.. its the proper size but i dont think it will help me unless i had more than one

#145 ·
Yeah it's the depth of the snow. Like I said above, snow/M+S tires derive their traction from the shear strength of the snow they compact when they drive over it. With just a dusting, there isn't enough snow to be compacted...so you're essentially just driving on ice. Snow tires would still have helped in this instance because the compound they're made out of gets more traction on ice.

#153 ·
and tonight... i hit a curb :(

front right wheel has abend in it.. and a gouge in the tire.

and i think the alignment is off too... just hope i didnt bend anything other than the tire.

i have the lifetime alignment from firestone... so im not worried about a new alignment cost..

#164 ·
As a PSA for anyone who gives a damn Toyo Spectrums are absolute garbage in the snow. No traction no matter what I did cant wait to get snow tires. Just like everyone elts says take your time, be easy with the controls and if in doubt and scares ya get off the road.

#168 ·
All-seasons should really be called two-seasons. They only offer an advantage over other tires when the temps are too cold for summer tires, or too warm for snows (or when there is no snow on the road.) For that reason, they're only useful in spring and fall.

Lookin at firestone winterforces or general snow tires. I have winterforces for the impreza and like em so may get another set for them.
:clap:

I, myself, use Winterforces. They're cheap, they suck when the roads are dry, and the sidewalls are about as stiff as a single sheet of paper, but they do grip when I ask them to. I haven't been in a situation where I didn't have control of my car in even over a foot of snow with them on, so I'm happy with them. I'd like to experiment and try others (like the Altimax Arctic) when I wear these out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.