Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Never Back Down, Never Give In.

121K views 452 replies 199 participants last post by  matae2k 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT by Siper2, 7/17/07: I've made the executive decision to make this a Sticky. It deserves it. :D

I know we’ve all been there at one point; we hate our cars because it takes so much to turn it in to something that it’s not. We spend so much time, effort and money to replicate our favorite version Impreza, or make it our own, and all we get are headaches and empty bank accounts. The unexpected break downs, receiving the wrong parts, the bloody knuckles, the waiting for the container to arrive from Japan, the dirt and rust ridden undercarriage, the bolts that are so tight you’d swear someone welded them in place; it all takes a toll. Then there is the discouragement of those that bought faster, better engineered, newer Imprezas that always seem to pass us on the long straight at the track or squeeze out those extra tenths of a second while auto-crossing. “Those bastards! Once I swap my WRX/STI/RA motor I’ll be faster…”

We’ve all been there.

Some traded up because they’re sick of it or lost hope. One day it finally sunk in, despite the persistent resistance, “My RS/L/Brighton/Wagon/OBS is an inferior chassis.” Finally they succumb. “I’ll always love and miss my RS…,” they say, “…but a swap just wasn’t possible so I bought a WRX.” Threads like this pop up all the time and responses are mixed. Some look at it rationally and congratulate them on their new purchase while others label them as traitors, half joking but sometimes not. Despite the surprisingly successful “Fanboyism” thread there are still those that claim they’ll never sell, never leave the cult. They have pride that is easily mistaken as arrogance but they have the right! Their car paved the way for later models, for the WRC, made Subaru what it is today!

I am one of the forsaken.

The challenge and cost was too large for me. I wanted my car to be turbocharged. I wanted a stronger transmission. I wanted a quicker ratio steering rack. I wanted less compliant suspension bushings. I wanted larger sway bars. I wanted adjustable coilovers. The wants continued to build and so did the costs, to intimidating amounts. Then rationality set in. “Why should I spend all this money to make my intended econo-box as good as an STi?” That’s when my will was broken and hope was lost. That’s when I put my Impreza wagon up for sale.

Fast forward three months and there I am, a grin that looks to be splitting my face in half surfaces as I turn the key and start my new-to-me 2005 STi. The interior is ten times better! The sound of the exhaust is menacing! Good God, look at that hood scoop! It’s a sensory overload and I haven’t even let out the clutch and began moving. The initial drive signs the papers, finalizes the terms and agreement, stakes its claim; that face separating grin is here to stay. The ride is firm and tight like a car that is meant to be on a road course should feel. The handling is confidence inspiring to the point that I thought my chest was going to break the seat belt. Oh my, the power is orgasmic! “I’m glad I decided to upgrade.” I say, not knowing that I’d be sitting here three months later contemplating whether I should keep my beloved STi or go back to the will breaking, money draining, soul rending state of owning a project car that I thought was once a lost cause.

Everyone I talk to about this conundrum reacts the same way. “You just bought it!” “It’s everything you wanted!” “Tim, you make no sense.” I’ve heard it all before. The problem is that all the fun of the STi came too easily. I made a few phone calls and signed some paperwork and then it was all mine. That was it. I don’t appreciate the crisp steering as much as I would if I installed those Whiteline steering rack bushings myself. I’m not as proud of the instantaneous power as I would have been if I had spent hours upon hours merging wiring harnesses and finessing that beefy turbocharged 2.5L motor in to an empty engine bay. I don’t appreciate the years of engineering put in to this car, the time spent testing it off the beaten path as much as I should. I don’t appreciate the blood, sweat and tears put in to this car because they are not my own. As the saying goes, “Without the bitter the sweet ain’t as sweet.”

I am a DIY Guy that likes to do things the hard way.

I’ll end with a few encouraging words to those still struggling, those with their vision still vivid and full of hope. Don’t quit. Never stop. You are a unique breed that have band together here to share your knowledge, gather information, ask for help, and share your projects. Without you sites like this would diminish and the morale of the Subaru community surely would follow. You are the building blocks, the back bone of automotive enthusiasts and it should be known. You and your projects serve a higher purpose than only your personal enjoyment, they are inspiring. One day I will rejoin you with another project car of my own. Until then, I salute you.

Prequel

As of June 2008 I have reunited with my project car brethren; I purchased a ’94 Impreza L and am currently in the process of modifying it while I enjoy driving it every day.

Fast forward to July of 2013 and my Impreza was totaled by a careless driver who rear-ended me at a stoplight. These words still mean something to me, so I am rebuilding.

See less See more
#179 ·
I know what you mean. I spent 4 years building the wagon, spending lotsa money on it while still being N/A. When I was about to swap, I totaled the car. So now I'm in another Impreza and I have a completely different MO with this car. Should be boost soon!

hehe. soon.

#177 ·
I understand the point you are making.
I've seen this thought process from both sides of the fence.
I bought the car of my dreams, sold the car of my dreams, built the car of my dreams and bought a car of my dreams project... seems i've felt this from all angle's.
I honestly can romanticise most of my past cars from Mitsubishi Turbo charged monsters to NA honda's and honestly I realized one day that I was never truely happy, i could always find a reason to keep or to sell.
To move on or to stay.
Even to somehow justify having 5 cars at one time to only having one for me and one for my wife.
The point is, I was expecting to find satisfaction only to realize I will forever chase satisfaction if I put my faith in a car, or cars...
Just my 2 cents, we need to all take deep breaths, be thankful for what we have and leave impulse and obsession behind.
Love live Subaru and I wish you the very best.

#180 ·
I never intended this to be what it has become but I can't begin to tell you guys how happy it makes me that it has. It's seems like I wrote this not too long ago, but in all reality it's been over two years! Initially I was deployed to Nicaragua when I wrote this and today I've revised it a bit while I'm deployed to Iraq. I guess they're giving me too much free time :lol:

Again, thanks for all the kind words everyone.

#183 · (Edited)
i have a MY 97 brighton. over the years i have made it slowly into something more sexy like RS parts here and there and more like a GC8 in other areas. i have a version 1-4 bumper, suspension, ej205 wrx swap and JDM ej20g tranny, basically a stage two worth of exhaust parts.

i have driven it hard at track days rally school etc. but not matter how much i put into it and protect it, someone else always FOOKS it up.

let me explain why i keep telling my friends if they want a swapped gc8, that they should check local ponds because this car is going to be the death of me due to stress.

my car roof got egged, insurance covered it.

i got rear ended 2 times, spider webbed the paint on rear bumper...no structural damage.

i got rear ended by a jeep cherokee. by by trunk lid.

i got backed into 2 times, by my father and mother seprately in my driveway. cracked my fog covers, and broke my turn signal. bumper has a crack in dead center of it. radiator support got pushed in on drivers side, and popped it back out myself.

i got side swiped by my girlfriends sister in the driveway the first night she moved back home. need new drivers side door, and there is a bowling ball sized dent in the lower driver side rear quarter panel.

rear spindle has a bushing thats disengrated into nothing.

inner tie rod needs replacing.

roll up window on passenger side, crank has fatigued sheet metal rolls up funky.

friend broke key off in my ignition. i got the piece out myself, but the tumblers were never the same. the key tumbler always would pop out if you did not know how to take key out. my mom moved my car the other day...key tumbler finally died....starting car with screw driver now! GHHHHHETTTTO

ECS did my wiring harness...for the passed 2 years i have trying to figure out why my front O/2 does not work and get cel codes on ecu....but only there map throws no codes on my ECU...it was because they did not do my wiring correctly for the front O/2 sensor and throws codes when ever i do not use their map in the ecu. therefore i cannot flash my car or tune it for a stage II even though i have all correct exhaust pipes (TBE, Up-pipe) and a pro drive boost solenoid. i have bought all data subscription to track down the problem and never had any luck. ECS will not do anything for me. i brought it back once and they said they fixed it...they flashed the codes from coming on. reason i know, i swapped ECU's and my friend has SUBARU scan tool. P0031 comes back up instantly. put the other flash back in (ECS) no code.

i bought a black RS with goldies. needs a fender and i have a 5/6 bumper to put on it. everything is going into that thing.

its soo funny. i can go 130mph at LRP and go to team oneil rally school and i use to worry about body damage....but its the parking lot when the car is parked thats scary.

#187 ·
I'm at an all time low with my RS right now.

It's sitting in my parents' garage without a motor. The old motor is in pieces and is getting sold for parts along with the rest of my N/A setup.

I decided I was going to swap it with an EJ255, but
1) I don't have the funds right now
2) I am in the process of moving out of my parents so working on the car will be a 1/2 drive away and it's starting to get cold out
3) I don't know how much longer I can keep on borrowing cars. I should never have sold my neon a couple months ago... grrr. Never thought I'd regret selling that.
4) I just want this mess off my hands at the moment.

On the bright side, I have 10 months to complete this project IF I can borrow cars for the next 4 months. Which is a big IF. And it'll be a beast.

#191 ·
That's what I keep telling myself. That and remembering the awesome rides/drives I've gone on in swapped GC/GM/GF's.

I too have many times thought about selling my car and buying a wrx. It just seems so much easier to get the power wanted.....but what is the fun in that.(And ours cars are just much sexier then the GD's) I am a broke college student with a dream.

I do small things to my car every so often to keep me loving it, and now, I don't think I will ever sell it. Its just too damn sexy(especially now withe the addition of the v5/6 front bumper and authentic p1 lip :D :drool: )

I hope to have enough money saved up by next summer to either do a JDM v8 sti swap, or if not, then a 06/07 wrx swap. Probably the ej255 though with a fmic, and 20g, big injectors...etc. Time to start saving.
Sooo true.

#189 ·
i have thought about and tried selling my pos countless times. first i bought it and drove it for 3mn, hg finnaly blew. then it was down from nov 07 untill jun 08 and i got my back in sept 08. drove it for less then a month (ej20g) and then parted out my swap. so its been down from october 08 and its sept 09 now. i'm flat out broke so the car wont be back on the road for a while. :(

#190 ·
I too have many times thought about selling my car and buying a wrx. It just seems so much easier to get the power wanted.....but what is the fun in that.(And ours cars are just much sexier then the GD's) I am a broke college student with a dream.

I do small things to my car every so often to keep me loving it, and now, I don't think I will ever sell it. Its just too damn sexy(especially now withe the addition of the v5/6 front bumper and authentic p1 lip :D :drool: )

I hope to have enough money saved up by next summer to either do a JDM v8 sti swap, or if not, then a 06/07 wrx swap. Probably the ej255 though with a fmic, and 20g, big injectors...etc. Time to start saving.

#194 ·
Again..I am having thought about saving up some money, selling my RS and getting a wrx(bugeye)

I saw this over on nasioc. :drool:

But then I know what my RS can be with a swap and a few other things. My RS for reference:

#192 ·
You know what I never really wanted to ever sell this car since I bought it. I bought mine a little over a year ago in I believe it was June. From the minute I laid my eyes and ears on it I fell in love. Never once thought about selling it maybe here and there about possible trade in but as quickly as that thought came it left. I don't mind it not being fast I have changed the look and feel of my car since June 08. I'm changing the tune of this beast very soon though. Thanks to ^^^^ the ones above my post. Danny Boy sold me the N/A built heads which I may do valve train on them for a higher rev for more fun. Also Kowitz who better not sell that Greddy Emanage before I can claim it from him. I just love the body and color and everything about my little non turbo low powered Impretza. The thing is I love driving the slow car fast. Especially in the dirt that's where I get all my kicks.

#193 ·
Perseverance and deturmination! The biggest key is set goals, plan ahead, be ready for forseeable setbacks, and finally make a proper assesment of the car's future and yours. I'm stuborn as frell and have a goal and despite getting two more cars both that take money I move forward at a safe educated pace. If you think you might get rid if the car at anypoint for any reason just because the situation looks grimm then rethink your goals and maybe revise the idea if a project later on in life.

#196 · (Edited)
i was () <--this close to selling my car after i found out the motor was no good any longer.

the day before the guy came to pick it up, i had an overwhelming change of heart.

i could not bare to part with this car. nothing, i mean NOTHING and NO ONE has ever given me the same type of satisfaction and calm and fulfillment and ecstasy and relaxation and focus and pride and confidence and feeling of complete and utter peace as that car.

there is no other feeling like it. being with a woman is completely different. getting a raise at work is child's play. and piecing together one's car is like putting together a masterpiece.

when i sit in this car, when i turn over the engine, when i depress the clutch and release the handbrake, and i hear that nasty growl erupt from the bowels of this evil beast, i know that i am sitting in a machine built by me, loved by me, cherished by me, and respected by me.

i truly believe, that certain machines have souls. have powers that are unexplainable. have certain characteristics that are more human than most people i know.

dealing with the loss of my ability to feel that feeling was heartbreaking. i was truly depressed and it has been a very long time since i have felt such feelings of remorse and heartache. my head was ready to move on, but my heart still lingered. still wanted that....that....experience.

and as i opened the garage to prep her for the tow truck to take her away, and the sunlight bounced of the bottom of her front bumper, and the shadows cut across the hood, i realized that i could part with her about as readily as i could part with my penis. NEVER. i would never forgive myself if i sold her, and some stranger posted pics of "his new car" all over the forums. and showed "his new car" to all his family and friends.

FUCK

THAT.

and so, silently, patiently, humbly, quietly, the beast lies dormant.....

until........

it is time once again.....

she'll be back, and she'll be ready to play.....

i have ideas. .....hehehehe

#197 ·
i was () <--this close to selling my car after i found out the motor was no good any longer.

the day before the guy came to pick it up, i had an overwhelming change of heart.

i could not bare to part with this car. nothing, i mean NOTHING and NO ONE has ever given me the same type of satisfaction and calm and fulfillment and ecstasy and relaxation and focus and pride and confidence and feeling of complete and utter peace as that car.

there is no other feeling like it. sex doesn't come close. getting a blowjob in a UCLA dorm elevator does not compare. nailing the lead cheerleader at USC doesn't match up. getting a raise at work is child's play.

when i sit in this car, when i turn over the engine, when i depress the clutch and release the handbrake, and i hear that nasty growl erupt from the bowels of this evil beast, i know that i am sitting in a machine built by me, loved by me, cherished by me, and respected by me.

i truly believe, that certain machines have souls. have powers that are unexplainable. have certain characteristics that are more human than most people i know.

dealing with the loss of my ability to feel that feeling was heartbreaking. i was truly depressed and it has been a very long time since i have felt such feelings of remorse and heartache. my head was ready to move on, but my heart still lingered. still wanted that....that....experience.

and as i opened the garage to prep her for the tow truck to take her away, and the sunlight bounced of the bottom of her front bumper, and the shadows cut across the hood, i realized that i could part with her about as readily as i could part with my penis. NEVER. i would never forgive myself if i sold her, and some stranger posted pics of "his new car" all over the forums. and showed "his new car" to all his family and friends.

FUCK

THAT.

and so, silently, patiently, humbly, quietly, the beast lies dormant.....

until........

it is time once again.....

she'll be back, and she'll be ready to play.....

i have ideas. .....hehehehe
Damn bro. you got some soul, ill tell you that much. If my scooby looked like that, i'd kick someones ASS who tried to give me an unreasonable price to buy it LOL!!!! :drunk: Your words mean a lot man. I deffinetly am with you on all that you said. Subie love ftw <3 i wanna get a monster Subaru racing team usa jacket lols. that'll be badass.

#199 ·
moving

I've been then but not giving up stared down at the edge of the abyss contemplating something better that might come if i don't jump and take the challenge.... but i ve learned that SACRIFICE IS GIVING UP SOMETHING GOOD FOR SOMETHING BETTER !!!!! and i have my car on the road always looking for something better to put on it to make it better and faster...

YouTube - HRT !!! Hedian Racing Team 1st video

I made a video of my project hope you guys enjoy it

#209 ·
I'm in need of some cheering up.

I'm still waiting for my WRX motor set to get sourced by ECS's supplier. And last night the temperature dipped into the 30's.

I better get the new motor/crossmember/fuel tank soon because the very last thing I want to do this winter is wrench in the freezing cold.

I can't even roll the car out of the garage as the whole rear subframe/suspension/brakes/diff are out as well as the engine, dash, and front crossmember. Makes me soo sad seeing it up on jack stands like that. It's going on 6 weeks now....

My goal for starting up the new motor by the end of October seems like a pipe dream now. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.