Where can I find an AC condenser to fit a 98 RS? - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Where can I find an AC condenser to fit a 98 RS?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Atlas
2.2L Turbo

Car:
Trader Rating: (110)
Thumbs up Where can I find an AC condenser to fit a 98 RS?

Howdy,

I have a 98 RS with a stock dash / AC compressor. The AC was a little weak and old so I bought a new reman. pump, a new dryer and a new condenser.

I bought two different condensers to try (from Rock Auto and Advance) and they both turned out to be made by a company called TYC, and their part number is 4857.

The OEM pn I tracked down is "73210FA140"

Here's my issue the AC condenser won't line up with the hard line on the passenger side. This is the factory condenser:

And this is the new one:

The bracket is slightly too close to the condenser (not bumped out 1" or so) and what's worse - the bolt / fitting orientation is reversed. I can't see any way to make this part work, and I can't seem to find a parts shop that carries a different manufacturer's condenser.

Has anyone successfully replaced one of these lately?

Do I have any options other than the dealer? The dealer won't take returns on special orders so I'd hate to buy one of those and discover it's wrong, too.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
SUBEWGN
2.7L

Car: 1999 OBS
Fav Mod: Oxidized Paint
Trader Rating: (15)

just a heads up, not many 98 RS AC Condensers left in the country. I bought one from the dealership about a year ago and only had 3 in stock stateside. 98 was a transitioning year, and I suspect that the 98 RS got the left over bits of parts shared among the older imprezas. The AC Condenser part number cross references to the JDM version 6 on down. As far as options go, you'll be hard pressed to find one since it is only specific to the 98 RS and I think the 98 Forester as well. Most aftermarket companies only produced 99-01 assuming it'll work for the 98 as well. The 99-01 will fit, but you'll need to match the passenger side hardline, and the high side compressor line on the driver side.

Last edited by SUBEWGN; 07-28-2015 at 07:37 PM..
SUBEWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
Atlas
2.2L Turbo

Car:
Trader Rating: (110)

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
oldscoobyturbo
2.2L

Car: 1999 RSTi
Fav Mod: V1 STi engine swap
Trader Rating: (0)

forester one is the newer style it uses different connections. I have no a/c in my car for the same reason its hard to find the correct unit
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
gonz22
2.5L

Car: 1998 RS
Trader Rating: (3)

just buy the 99-01 and get the lines from a junkyard, that's what I did. You will also need a 99-01 radiator, the 98 radiators are also hard to find from what I could tell.
1998 RS SA#2 Utah Rally Group
gonz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
Kateng
1.8L

Fav Mod: Carbon goodies
Trader Rating: (0)

The 4857 will only fit the L with the 2.2 and not the 2.5RS.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
rgrove1026
2.2L

Trader Rating: (5)

I went through the same thing seems pretty much impossible to find so im just gonna delete mine
rgrove1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Jeff902
2.0L

Fav Mod: Brembos
Trader Rating: (1)

I have a condensor, the lines, the compressor, and the solenoid? I think it's called.. lol the thing from the passenger side near firewall that gets plugged into, as well.
From a 98 2.5rs coupe.
If anyone was interested
Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
181stLeader
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Aerosim Carbon Widebody
Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBEWGN View Post
just a heads up, not many 98 RS AC Condensers left in the country. I bought one from the dealership about a year ago and only had 3 in stock stateside. 98 was a transitioning year, and I suspect that the 98 RS got the left over bits of parts shared among the older imprezas. The AC Condenser part number cross references to the JDM version 6 on down. As far as options go, you'll be hard pressed to find one since it is only specific to the 98 RS and I think the 98 Forester as well. Most aftermarket companies only produced 99-01 assuming it'll work for the 98 as well. The 99-01 will fit, but you'll need to match the passenger side hardline, and the high side compressor line on the driver side.
Since its cross referenced with the version 6 sti does that mean that JDM condensers will work? I had a version 7 front clip imported and it looked the the entire A/C system was different due to being RHD. Does anybody know if the JDM Version 6 condenser work with a LHD vehicle?

I have the 98/JDM/Gen 1 Legacy Turbo Mishimoto radiator so I need the matching condenser.
181stLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
SUBEWGN
2.7L

Car: 1999 OBS
Fav Mod: Oxidized Paint
Trader Rating: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
Since its cross referenced with the version 6 sti does that mean that JDM condensers will work? I had a version 7 front clip imported and it looked the the entire A/C system was different due to being RHD. Does anybody know if the JDM Version 6 condenser work with a LHD vehicle?

I have the 98/JDM/Gen 1 Legacy Turbo Mishimoto radiator so I need the matching condenser.
No clue about the version 7. Might have to get on opposedforces to do some homework.
SUBEWGN is offline   Reply With Quote