Airbags and Airbag Modifications - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Airbags and Airbag Modifications

Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #51
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

Car: 00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
Fav Mod: chop, drop, n channel
Trader Rating: (6)

no it won't work "just fine"

so varianaces in crumple zones, inertial absorbtion, deployment timing calibration, airbag sensor placement, airbag deployment size, and seat placement aren't an issue?

you're misinformed of the real dangers of SRS systems

when life and death safety equipment is the issue, you can't think too much
---

yeah, just try to get a shop to do this modification on a street legal car.

they'll tell you to hit the road, or sign a waiver that the car is no longer safe for on road operation

at best, you'll get a shop that doesn't know the risk or liability involved to do it, or the technical aspects of SRS sytems as a whole (otherwise they'd say no). and that is not the kind of shop you want to work on your car

--

modifying an airbag system is extremely dangerous, and possibly fatal. not only while tinkering with it, but the way it is set up is extremely precise.. the deployment of an airbag at anything other than the precise hundredth of a second that it needs to blow, can kill you. period..

this is NOT an intermodel swappable component

can you ghetto rig it - yes

can it kill you - yes

--

As an I-Car Platinum Certified Tecnician in Advanced Restraint Systems, I highly suggest that you read this entire thread from the start and reconsider risking your own life, and your passenger's life for a "cool" dashboard.

Last edited by biGshizzle79; 09-20-2008 at 01:25 PM..
biGshizzle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #52
Letze
3.3L

Car: 98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
Fav Mod: Ghetto Ones
Trader Rating: (2)

Bringing this back up.

I've got a 98 RS, its now a little over 11 years old, my 90 Alltrac's air bag system failed due to age so we removed the system for the safety of the driver (only 1 bag)

Has any one actually gotten their system inspected and checked for integrity? How much does this run and is your local stealer ship worth 2 shits at doing this job?
Letze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #53
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

well any airbag system has it's own computer/brain.. (except for older volvos)

if there is ANY problem, the airbag or SRS light will appear on the dash

some models like ford use the number of times it flashes upon key cycle to tell you what specific code it's throwing..

most others will need a OBDII scanner or better to read airbag codes.
--

all airbag stytems run a diagnostic every time you key the car. if there is any problem, you'll get a light

if you havent got an airbag light, then your sytem has run it's diagnostic, and it's passed, thereby turning off the airbag light

---

ps, I had a 90 Celica, too.. no alltrac (but they did give me a huge boner)... it was a charcoal hardtop hatchback, slammed with 17's, tint, wraparound gt spoiler,and waay too many orion 12's...

that car was so sexy... after 2 blown engines (one JDM) I gave up on it and traded it of the suby
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #54
drunknmnkee
1.8L

Car: Silver 2000 2.5rs
Trader Rating: (0)

I bought a 2000 rs and it didn't have a passenger airbag so i ordered a new one and replaced it. My airbag light stayed on and i've checked all the connections. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for what to do next. I'm thinking i need to order a new control module, but not too sure.
drunknmnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #55
tnice17
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmnkee View Post
I bought a 2000 rs and it didn't have a passenger airbag so i ordered a new one and replaced it. My airbag light stayed on and i've checked all the connections. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for what to do next. I'm thinking i need to order a new control module, but not too sure.
you might have to clear the faults.

if your mechanically inclined..... this is for the ABS but the airbag is the same thing just different pins you have to poke. search in the FSM and you will find them

tnice17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #56
drunknmnkee
1.8L

Yeah i tried to reset my srs with the 2 pins and the 6 pin connector. It didn't stop it from flashing, which from what i read means something is still faulty. If my counting skills are half decent i was getting 3 codes from the light? and i know the only common problem between all the codes is the control module. And the codes i got were 22, 12 and 11.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #57
t3hWIT
ok terrific.

Fav Mod: Recaro baby seat
Trader Rating: (34)

The airbag light will not go off by itself like the CEL can. Take it to the dealer and have them pull the code. If it's a past code, they can erase it.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #58
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmnkee View Post
dude..

please don't service your own airbag system...

it's a really easy way to kill yourself..

---

if the airbag is installed properly, having DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY first before servicing the srs system..

when you reconnect the battery, the SRS stystem will reboot, run it's diagnostic, and if everything is proper, the light will go out.

all you have to do to reset an airbag code on any car is disconnect tht battery, properly replace ant defective system components, and then reconnect the battery..

---

(the code can tell you what is wrong, usually the deployed airbag is a big clue.)

--
the issue is knowing how to properly relpace these components..

an airbag is like a shotgun, if you build up a static charge while servicing it... it will blow your fucking head off...

--

Last edited by biGshizzle79; 08-14-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
biGshizzle79
2.2L Turbo

possible airbag system idiot light reasons

==

the components that could possibly throw a airbag code are as follows:
-----
front sensors

side sensors

srs module (brain)

deployed or faulty driver's, passenger's or curtain airbags

deployed or faulty driver's or passenger's seatbelt pretensioners

faulty or damaged wiring harness for srs system

collapsed steering column

toasted clockspring in column from deployement

faulty connection in any of above

---

if an airbag is deployed, usually the clockspring, module, airbag, pretensioner, and sensors are replaced

---

only have a professional shop service your SRS system

Last edited by biGshizzle79; 08-14-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #60
drunknmnkee
1.8L

I've spent alot of time reading about how to do it and take alot of precautions while doing so. I can't afford to take it to a shop i'm a university student and can't drop tons of money into these repairs. The guy i bought it off of said the airbag was only removed because the guy before him planned on doing autocross. Thanks for the help i'll run through the system again and check on those components. Is there anyway to tell if the control module is faulty?