Swapping GD and GC Seat Rails.. Who's done it? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Swapping GD and GC Seat Rails.. Who's done it?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
saab90089
1.8L

Car: 1989 900 Turbo & 97 L Wagon
Trader Rating: (4)

I just wanted to thank daios and kami333 for their write-ups. I just got a set of WRX seats for my 97 L wagon and I too noticed the height difference in the rails.

I ended up installing the WRX seats as is (after not finding this thread). I concluded the driver seat is OK even for my dad (6'2") as he can make adjustments to make things work. I'm only 5'10" so I have no issue's with the driver seat. However the passenger side is just too high.

With this in mind I will be removing the passenger seat this weekend and swapping out the rails (and recline handles).

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

ian

Last edited by saab90089; 09-06-2007 at 06:55 AM..
saab90089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #22
Keener2.5
Wonderstud!

Car: 98 RS Now with more interior!
Trader Rating: (16)

02-03 WRX seats yes. STi seats and WRX 04+ no, seats rails are totally different.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #23
saab90089
1.8L

Car: 1989 900 Turbo & 97 L Wagon
Trader Rating: (4)

I did my rail-swap (after installing WRX seats) last night. I have some additional information to add to this thread.

See my previous posts in this thread for why I did the rail swap.

My car: 1997 Impreza L wagon
Seats: 02/03 WRX passenger
Rail swapped: passenger seat (driver seat seems adjustable enough and looks like a mess to swap rails)

The instructions that Daios and Kammi333 were perfect however I ran into 1 problem with the more inside (left as sitting in the seat) rail. The front hole for the 12mm bolt was too far forward by about .5" so the bottom of the seat would not just bolt up to it.

Easy solution: drill a hole...detailed instructions below pictures

Below are some pictures describing what I mean:

Comparing the 2 overall rails

Pointing to the specific hole that is needed

Where to drill

Hole drilled

Detailed instructions:
-Follow Diaos's insturctions to the point where you have both the rail/bottom assemblies off of the seats
-Check to confirm you need to drill the hole (kami333 did not note he needed to)
-If you need the hole continue on
-Seperate the left (as sitting)/more inside rail from everything else. This makes working with it much easier.
-I used a square to find the center of the 1st hole and drew a line across the general area where the hole was to be drilled
-Do some carefull measuring and draw your 2nd line for where the hole needs to go
-Use a punch at the 'cross hairs' of where you want the hole. This is so when drilling the first hole the drill won't move across the metal.
-Be sure to start with a small drill bit and work your way up to the size hole you want.
-Once the hole is drilled you can continue on with diaos/kami333 instructions

Notes: you have some "wiggle" room with the hole you are drilling. I'm sure you can see mine was a little low but everything bolted up fine. If you look at the back 12mm hole it is an oval shape so in theory you have some front/back 'wiggle' room too.

Hope this helps anyone,
Ian

Last edited by saab90089; 09-08-2007 at 06:59 AM..
saab90089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
kami333
2.2L

Trader Rating: (2)

Yeah, I didn't run into that problem.
kami333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
bs4tt

Trader Rating: (0)

another useful thread thanks
bs4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #26
salvator_rizzo
Premium Baller

Fav Mod: butterfly kisses
Trader Rating: (18)

nvm im an idiot

Last edited by salvator_rizzo; 09-12-2007 at 05:00 PM..
salvator_rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #27
fastfalcon94
2.7L

Trader Rating: (15)

So there is no easy way to lower my seats? I have 05 STI seats in my 99 RS. I'm 5/11 and think they ride too high. Probably because I'm use to driving my vr-4 and when I get in my suby I think I'm in a truck.
fastfalcon94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
salvator_rizzo
Premium Baller

Fav Mod: butterfly kisses
Trader Rating: (18)

how do people mount sti seats in the rs?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #29
fastfalcon94
2.7L

Trader Rating: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo View Post
how do people mount sti seats in the rs?

They bolt right in. You have to take your seat belt buckles off your rs though and grind an ear off them where they bolt in otherwise they will be at a wierd angle and want to bend outwards. This would scratch your center console when you slid the seat forward and backwards. The drivers seat isn't bad you can lower it with the handle. The passenger seat is a little higher. I wouldn't recommend them for ppl over 6'0.

And you guys are right, the rs and US STI seat rails are completely different. I thought I could make something work but couldn't figure anything out. It's not really the sliders and stuff that make the height difference, it's the bottom of the seat. It's just tall, and you can't do anything about it. The RS seat bracket has a screw with a bushing where the back of the seats pivot. The STI has it's own mechanism that connects the seats and involves 2 bolts.

Without major surgery and welding there is no easy way to make it work. You'd probably have a better chance modifying the floor to make it lower.
fastfalcon94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
Supraru
2.2L Turbo

Car: 99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
Trader Rating: (21)

this is only an answer for people who have a cage, or a sedan, but all you need to do is to start with a sparco (or whatever brand) seat base for side mount seats. Then use some 90-channel aluminum (or steel if you want to go thinner) as side mounts for the STI seat. Then you bolt it right up to the seat mounts, sans slider mechanism and associated height.

I got my seat down literally as low as possible on using the stock seat mounting points on the chassis, and its a lot better. still a little bit high for passengers that are 6'2" and above, but before they literally couldnt ride with me.

general fabrication skills required. thats it.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote