FS (USA,WA): Forester STI, thoughts? - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > > >
Forester STI, thoughts?

Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
JoeLow
2.7L

Car: 1998, 2.5 RS IMPREZA, BLUE+GLD
Fav Mod: stumbling into subie wrld
Trader Rating: (4)
Default Forester STI, thoughts?

I'm looking for a new car and found this in my local craigslist, haven't found it on any other forums.

2004 STI Swapped Subaru Forester XT - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

What do you guys think? What questions would you ask? I bought my 98 2.5rs from a family friend when I was 16 and have been driving that for the last 11 years, so I've never actually gone out and haggled on my own before. I've done some research and think the price is close to fair/close to stock STI's of the same year(?) assuming everything is sound for an 04.

I think I'll pay a mechanic to look at it with me since i'm no expert at identifying problems.

Thanks,
Jo

(also, to justify posting this on the FS forum, it's fair game for anyone else interested to buy)
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
winnerone23
1.8L

Trader Rating: (0)

Looks pretty good.. It's a long as and well written.
I have a feeling you could ask the seller, to talk to the original mechanic, before buying. If the mechanic is close to you, as well. Maybe he could be your mechanic, for that car.

Seems to have been loved by the original swapper and the current owner...

Main question I want to ask... What front axle's/Cv's where replaced with? OEM STI??? Auto store reman Junk?

As for the rest of it... Hell yeah!!!
I'm a avid Forester lover! I have a 400whp 05 auto and a 05/08 sport converted JDM STI swapped with 420whp.(waiting to put my rotated kit in, for 500 on pump and 600+ on meth)
Plus a 01 Forester with only 111k miles..

The JDM STI Forester trans is the best!
It's what I'm putting in my swapped 99RS coupe, too..

Troy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
JoeLow
2.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I have a feeling you could ask the seller, to talk to the original mechanic, before buying. If the mechanic is close to you, as well. Maybe he could be your mechanic.

Main question I want to ask... What front axle's/Cv's where replaced with? OEM STI??? Auto store reman Junk?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I’d love to have the original mechanic on my side.. would def give me more confidence in my buy.

Those sound sweet my dude!! Maybe I’ll be joining the forester sti club with you soon 😜 I’m meeting him Sunday
Old 09-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
JoeLow
2.7L

Id love to hear anyone's thoughts why i should not buy the car/why you wouldn't.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #5
The Yellow Monster
2.0L

Fav Mod: Kakimoto Exhaust

Looks like a great deal. but i'd want to see the actual condition of the interior without seat covers, and the rear mat. does it come with the books? and tool /safety kits?

Either way, it's good for the money. if you buy it? invest in a proper detail. to get the "New Car feeling"

Last edited by The Yellow Monster; 09-08-2019 at 04:33 AM..
The Yellow Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
KAT_Ayanami
2.2L

Car: 2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
Trader Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
That is the main question you have? An axle?

Not proof of the rebuild. Reason for it. Any proof for the mileage of the parts. The stupid comment that he expects $14k in hand for a test drive...

Nothing like that?

KAT_Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
winnerone23
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami View Post
That is the main question you have? An axle?

Not proof of the rebuild. Reason for it. Any proof for the mileage of the parts. The stupid comment that he expects $14k in hand for a test drive...

Nothing like that?

Nope.. it can be faked/borrowed/reused info..

After reading the OG mechanics listing and the current owners listing, plus miles driven..
It's not a fresh rebuild or fresh swap. It runs good and all works as it should. (Says the ad)

I don't know, nor does anyone else, how many miles are on my JDM STI 6mt swap.
Or my buddy's, JDM ej20x..
They both work perfectly! Does the 50-60km from the importer make me feel better? Nope.. it's just a number and they all use it.

So on from that.. I guess that stuff I figure comes up in conversation when I talk to someone about a car I'm buying.
I just don't understand the axle replacement.
New non OEM axles aren't a selling point..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote