Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

My 00' WRX (EDM)

32K views 122 replies 45 participants last post by  Kochiro 
#1 · (Edited)
In March 08 I moved from the US to Sweden leaving all my subies behind. It's way too expensive to bring them over, or at least more money than I'm willing to spend on shipping a car over. So for the last few months I've been really wanting to get my own car again. I looked at getting a new STi or WRX but for some reason Subaru's here are way more expensive than they are in the US. For example a new STi goes for roughly $75k. :confused: So the search was on for a "previously loved" Impreza.

Four days ago I found this 2000 Impreza GT. It is completely stock except for the 17" summer wheels and a Pioneer head unit. For those that don't know, an Impreza GT is a WRX. I called the seller and did all the usual stuff and scheduled to meet him today for a test drive and if all went well, to buy it on the spot. I took a train about 3 hours south, test drove the car, fell in love with it and bought it. I then drove 5 hours (trains can be very fast here) home with my new toy.

Initial impressions
I have to do some research but I'd swear that this car is faster than a stock 02 USDM WRX. The acceleration is much more brutal, it's like some sort of beast is unleashed, never got that feeling with my WRX. If I remember correctly the power is about 218hp vs the 02's 227 but I think the gear ratios are different and the GC8 chassis weighs a bit less so that's probably what it is.

Also, the chassis/suspension is much stiffer. First off it is lower than a USDM GC8, it looks like it has about a 1-1.5" drop compared to the 2000 RS Coupe I had. Over bumps it feels like it has a set of lowering springs on the stock struts but cornering it feels like it has the springs and strut tower bars.

The exhaust note is much more pronounced than a USDM WRX as well, much more like it has an aftermarket exhaust on it. It's not blatantly loud, you just know it's there when you stand on it.

I'll be putting a lot more in here but I just got her home today and am trying to decide which direction I want to take.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm going to use this spot for ideas and the "Mod List" while I figure out just what direction I want to take with this car...some or all of these are subject to change at any time. :)

Items in Red are completed. :D

Interior:
2007 Headlight Stalk
2007 Washer Stalk
2002 WRX Pedals & matching dead pedal
Air Filtration kit
Cargo Net
WRX Floor Mats
Auto Dimming Mirror
Heated Seats
Driver's side grab bar (oh #¤%*! handle) - In Progress...

Exterior:
Power folding heated mirrors - In Progress...
Heated mirrors - Nasioc DIY - In Progress...
STi Rabbit stickers/badges on fenders
Hood Dampers
Reinstall my Euro Roof Rack p/n #E3610SE520 - How to remove rails
Clear Amber Corner Lights

Electronics:
E3 AE801 ECU

Engine/Exhaust:
Hayward & Scott Rear Silencer
STi v8 TMIC

Transmission/Drivetrain:
Gimmick Motorsports Short Shift & Bushings
Kartboy Rear Differential Bushing Kit
Driveline bushing kit

Brakes:
Braided Lines
Looking for suggestions on good pads/fluid for 4pots

Suspension:
Bakemono Imports Camber Plates

#8 ·
Just a couple quick pics as requested. Sadly she's a bit dirty now from all the rain we've had in the last two days. I'll have to clean her up again and hopefully get out to someplace nice for a photoshoot this weekend if it isn't raining. Any preferences? Castle/fort, one of the beaches on the huge lakes here, forest? I've got so many choices all within a few minutes drive. :D

Impreza GT AWD Badging: (still gotta clean up the wax leftovers from the detail shop :( )

Front seat: (and no, those aren't crumbs on the seat, damn wind blew in a bunch of junk from the trees as soon as I opened the door :mad:)

Rear seats:

#13 ·
A couple strange things I've noticed as I look around at things to buy for this car...
1. My speedo tops out at 260kph, how come the STi clusters I've seen only go to like 180kph? Granted the STi ones have a higher redline by like 2k but still, you'd think the highest model car would have the highest top speed gauge?
2. It came with all the lower body panel bits stock (side skirts and rear spats) but not the front lip? What was subaru thinking?

Questions:
1. Who still makes gauges that are a close match to the stock white gauges?
2. Do I need to use a different pad specific to the Subaru 4pots or will any 98-01 pad fit?

#27 ·
Questions:
1. Who still makes gauges that are a close match to the stock white gauges?
2. Do I need to use a different pad specific to the Subaru 4pots or will any 98-01 pad fit?
Defi makes the gauges u speak of. the link series which are discontinued IIRC.

4pot pads ARE different from 98-01 pads. you need the pads for 4pots which are the same pads for 06usdm wrx pads and 300zx 4pot pads.

Also the jdm power folding mirrors you bought look to be the barn door style mirrors. they are the older style mirrors and ARE different from what you currently have if you don't care then go for it. you might be able to swap the whole motor over to your old housing but I have no clue if that'd work like the honda guys do it.

#22 · (Edited)
Just a quick update, the JDM power folding mirrors arrived today, installation begins tomorrow hopefully. :D

Vendor supplied photo:

The glass in one mirror was cracked during shipping, gotta figure out how to remove the other and my stock glass without breaking it...

Step 1: Mirrors separated from the mounts:

Step 2: Glass and backing plate removed, closeup of the motor mechanism:

More pics tomorrow but basically all I need to do is swap out the switch for my stock switch (adding in two wires) and swap the guts (motors) of the mirrors.

#25 · (Edited)
you should get some speedlines or something like that, those would look really nice on that car. those wheels are ok, but don't exactly fit the car well

the car is nice overall, how much did you end up spending on it?
how come you moved to sweeden?
Yeah I don't really like the wheels but they came with the car. I have a set of stock silver 6 spokes that I'll be putting on soon for winter so I'm not really thinking about the wheels right now. I want to do something like speedlines or maybe stock STi wheels or something, really hard to decide.

I paid a bit more than I should have if you compare to the US, but Subaru's are a lot more expensive here, much rarer and I got 2 sets of wheels and tires so I'm happy with what I paid.

I moved to Sweden because I really love it here. I'm also making a lot more money working on things that I really enjoy working on.

#30 · (Edited)
The seats are real comfy, but from what one of my "larger" friends said, they're not as comfy in the shoulder area. Of course he's not really into sports cars of any kind so he'd be just as happy with the stock RS seats. For the record, I'm 5' 10", about 140lbs and I love the seats, they hold just right.

Sorry no pics yet, it rained all day yesterday and I don't have a garage. :( Hopefully will have more progress today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.